PDA

View Full Version : Player advice d&d 3.5

Vossler
2016-11-29, 06:55 PM
Ok currently one of our dms is running a game we are between 5th-7th level haven't had a chance to procure new gear since 3rd level. He pretty much rail roaded us into a undead dungeon some of the players have died multiple times and I've lost interest in the game due to the fact we are under equipped and fighting things above our cr last game session he had a room full of traps and the search checks were mid 30's and disable device in the 40s and they were magical traps with enervation and flame strike 3 party members lost 1-4 levels on the traps not quite sure what to do I have brought up the fact he's been sending inappropriate crs at us

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-29, 07:30 PM
That's rough! What did your DM say when you asked about the inappropriate difficulty and lack of loot? What do the other players in your group think about it?

If you aren't having fun and the people you play with aren't willing to change some of the things that are bothering you, most people will tell you not to play any longer. You could suggest starting fresh with a new campaign. You could DM it yourself if no one else is willing. You could even try playing a different edition of D&D or a different game entirely!

If nothing else works and no one is willing to compromise, you might consider leaving the group.

Vossler
2016-11-29, 08:37 PM
The dm says it's our choice to be in the dungeon but he told us we were magically sealed in it. A few of the others have agreed one doesn't want to play his game anymore and I do dm another game were he is the only party member that over optimizes every character.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-29, 09:08 PM
The dm says it's our choice to be in the dungeon but he told us we were magically sealed in it.

"Choice", he keeps using that word. I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

</Inigo>

You're going to have to inform him that you currently don't have a MEANINGFUL choice whetehr to be in the dungeon or not because you are sealed in. If he refuses to explain just how the hell you are supposed to get out without getting through the end of the maze, which might be 2 more levels worth of content or more for all we know, then you need to tell him that you don't have a MEANINGFUL choice in the matter and that you aren't having fun.

Emphasize that last part.

Tell him that you got tons of loot and stuff you want to get to a shop. Tell him that you want some down time, some fun shopping, some time to work on a side story, tell him that you want to breathe some (choose expletive here) fresh air, (another expletive or 2) it!

If he is willing to assure you that you will be out within a session or 2, then you know you got through to him.

Otherwise, you might need to consider whether his game is really worth your time.

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-30, 03:54 AM
The dm says it's our choice to be in the dungeon but he told us we were magically sealed in it. A few of the others have agreed one doesn't want to play his game anymore and I do dm another game were he is the only party member that over optimizes every character.

Okay... being magically sealed in a dungeon is kind of irrelevant to your out-of-character concerns. That's just a story element. It doesn't mean he can't ease up on the overpowering encounters or let your party find some exciting treasure.

I don't want to sound harsh, and I really don't know you or the other people involved, but it's starting to seem like your group would be better off without this guy.....

Mordaedil
2016-11-30, 05:28 AM
Okay, this sounds like a perfect opportunity for:
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/tabletop_roleplaying.png

Melcar
2016-11-30, 10:48 AM
Ok currently one of our dms is running a game we are between 5th-7th level haven't had a chance to procure new gear since 3rd level. He pretty much rail roaded us into a undead dungeon some of the players have died multiple times and I've lost interest in the game due to the fact we are under equipped and fighting things above our cr last game session he had a room full of traps and the search checks were mid 30's and disable device in the 40s and they were magical traps with enervation and flame strike 3 party members lost 1-4 levels on the traps not quite sure what to do I have brought up the fact he's been sending inappropriate crs at us

I think its pretty easy.

1) Tell the DMs in a constructive way, that the game is not fun any more. Tell them what you told us. Point out first the good, then the bad and then the good again. That leaves the conversation on a positive note.

2) Just have your character give up. If dead, refuse to "come back" or be resurrected when such spell would be cast. That way, the character end his career.