PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Mind Flayer Question

kpenguin
2007-07-14, 11:49 PM
I don't use psionics, but I plan to once I have the funds to buy the Expanded Psionics Handbook. I was looking through it at the bookstore and came upon the psionic mind flayer entry. Apparently it has the powers of a 9th level psion, but retains a CR of 8. This seems odd to me since a lvl 9 NPC would have a CR of 9 yet a mind flayer has the same abilities with extras and has less CR? I'm no expert on psionics, so I would like to ask... why?

TheOOB
2007-07-14, 11:54 PM
Well, I believe they only have 8 HD, but even so I'd say a psionic mind flayer is more powerful then most 9th level characters. That said CR is an abstraction that breaks well before 8th-9th level. CR should be seen as a guideline and not a defining fact.

Devils_Advocate
2007-07-15, 02:55 AM
I'm no expert on the relevant rules, but don't NPCs get a crapload more magic items than other monsters of their CR?

Obviously, if you take away all of an 8th-level human psion's uber magical psionic gear, then an illithid is just plain more powerful than him. But he's normally assumed to have that gear, right?

bosssmiley
2007-07-15, 07:23 AM
Like Dragons, Angels and Beholders, Illithids have the [awesome] sub-type. This means they aren't given the full CR their power level merits, and can be used to TPK parties almost at will. :smallwink:
(after K in "The Dungeonomicon")

Seriously. I'm not sure what's going on there. Probably part of a plot to extinguish the sun or something...

Irreverent Fool
2007-07-15, 07:26 AM
I'm no expert on the relevant rules, but don't NPCs get a crapload more magic items than other monsters of their CR?

Obviously, if you take away all of an 8th-level human psion's uber magical psionic gear, then an illithid is just plain more powerful than him. But he's normally assumed to have that gear, right?

Well, the illithid is also assumed to have gear and it's generally recommended that any treasure placed during an adventure that is part of a creature's 'hoard' will be used by the creature if at least reasonably possible.

Also, I find the term 'psionic illithid' redundant and silly. Of course, I'm not a fan of the 'Psionics = magic' that comes with 3/3.5 already.