PDA

View Full Version : To strong for level 7?

SMac8988
2016-11-30, 02:11 PM
One of my players is playing a tempest cleric and is on the fence if she wants to be up in the fight or not and I am providing each of my players with one magic item to start at level 7.

I want her item to be useful if she is in the fight or staying back casting spell. I have made the rest of the groups start item pretty strong, one has a rapier that does bonus damage if he misty steps, and one asked for a flying carpet and bag of holding.

I am thinking this will work as her holy symbol as well and make it a war hammer thay requires attunement. The idea would be she could throw it as a str based attack, range 20/50 for 1d8 damage and use a reaction to return it. And as an action in hand or out she can cast thunderous wave at the location of the hammer, thinking of running it as a like a cantrip that's damage scales with level and have it have charges that reset.

I'm wondering if anyone has advice of this, like how to scale it right or some other suggestions. Her god she chose is Thor and she is an aasamar.

rooneg
2016-11-30, 02:15 PM
I don't know if it's too strong or not, but it's weird that you're using a reaction to call the hammer back. What exactly is it in reaction to? Other stuff like that (for example the Eldritch Knight Weapon Bond) tends to use a bonus action.

jaappleton
2016-11-30, 02:16 PM
The item you're looking for already exists. It's called the Dwarven Thrower. It's a hammer that returns to you.

IMO, combine the Dwarven Thrower with the Javelin of Lightning. Both of which are in the DMG.

If you wanted to do that, you could treat it as a standard Dwarven Thrower. Just a hammer that returns back to you. And have the lightning / thunder properties of the Javelin of Lightning 'unlock' at key story moments as the character levels up. Did the character pray for Divine Intervention during a fight with someone Thor would oppose? "The head of the hammer begins crackling with lightning before it leaps from your hand, dealing ____"

Maybe it's Thor's Hammer itself, and its powers are being unlocked as the character becomes worthy of being Thor's Champion?

Arcangel4774
2016-11-30, 03:27 PM
There's nothing a tempest cleric would like more than a melee weapon that does any sort of electric damage.

On the other hand, if you want to lean heavily on cantrips allow her to use the weapon for booming blade.

As a final note it's hard to balance the magical weapon without knowing what you gave others.

Foxhound438
2016-11-30, 03:32 PM
I am thinking this will work as her holy symbol as well and make it a war hammer thay requires attunement. The idea would be she could throw it as a str based attack, range 20/50 for 1d8 damage and use a reaction to return it. And as an action in hand or out she can cast thunderous wave at the location of the hammer, thinking of running it as a like a cantrip that's damage scales with level and have it have charges that reset.

A dwarven thrower would be an appropriate choice if she's playing a dwarf, and is the same rarity as a flying carpet

The +3 is a bit much, but you can probably get away with saying it's a +1 out the gate and gets +2 at 13 and +3 at 19 or something to balance it out.

Otherwise a neat idea for a cleric item is something that heals the user a pinch when they damage a hostile creature with a cantrip- that idea comes from Darkest Dungeon, where the "cleric" equivalent has an ability that does that. A low amount of healing would be most appropriate here, like 1d4 at 5th, 2d4 at 11th, and 3d4 at 17th- not enough to sustain forever, but in a hard fight it could buy you a turn.

Sigreid
2016-11-30, 03:43 PM
I think the item is fine except I would have it be a bonus action to retrieve. So it would be used like this. 1st round, throw the hammer into the goblins using bows, hitting one in the face. 2nd round use the item to cast thunder wave surprising and messing up the goblins that thought the hammer was not a threat and use a bonus action to call it back to your hand.

Sir cryosin
2016-11-30, 03:59 PM
Why not just give her the staff of lighting in the dmg?

SMac8988
2016-11-30, 06:19 PM
I think the item is fine except I would have it be a bonus action to retrieve. So it would be used like this. 1st round, throw the hammer into the goblins using bows, hitting one in the face. 2nd round use the item to cast thunder wave surprising and messing up the goblins that thought the hammer was not a threat and use a bonus action to call it back to your hand.

Ok so switch it to bonus action and use the Dwarven thrower as an example awesome.

One player is basing his character as like night crawler. He went warlock and plans to use like all his slots for misty stepping into combat and then went fey for the reaction step. So I felt this would destroy his damage output and gave him a rapier, which when ever his misty steps it gains bonus damage to the next attack going at half level progression of sneak attack. Away from book but I think at level 20 it's only 4d6 or so. Then one wanted to be a wizard but function like a person from Zach Bell, so he uses a puppet that all his spells come from and I gave him an stone which basically brings the puppet to life, stats of a skeleton, and can cast all his spells out of it, for the most part.

Then the magic carpet and bag of holding for the sorc and I am waiting in the other two players to make their character still. So