PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this reward for my players?

Sir cryosin
2016-11-30, 02:40 PM
So I have a quest giver that has of yet givin the party there reward. I she told them she will have to get back with then on there reward they said ok. So she's a wizard so I was thinking of giving them. Magic tattoos the tattoos give them a free cantrip from the wizard list with a +2 plus there proficiency bonus to hit and +2 to there spell DC. But I was also thinking of adding a 2nd level spell as part but they won't unlock that tell later. So like if they pick firebolt the other spell will be scorching Ray. They are lv5 right now so what lv should they unlock the other spell.

Edited: the DC and to hit will be the same +2 and the second spell will be once per long rest.

Nicodiemus
2016-11-30, 02:51 PM
Instead of at will damage, why not give them a L1 spell, then the L2 later? This will prevent the casters in the party from feeling hosed because now everyone's a blaster of sorts.

jaappleton
2016-11-30, 02:59 PM
A few ideas.

Call this Wizard a chronomancer, someone who can bend the laws of time. Someone who can rip things from the future. Granting them a bonus ASI / Feat wouldn't be a bad option. Alternatively, picking a spell for each party member wouldn't be bad. Giving the tank a free use of the Shield spell once per long rest is a good option, for example. Spells that'd enhance their abilities would also work; giving the Rogue a once per day use of Pass Without Trace would make the player smile. Don't do anything above 2nd level spells, though.

Arcangel4774
2016-11-30, 03:02 PM
What sort of party is it? If the reward trivializes some people or is negligible it may not be as balanced a gift.

Sir cryosin
2016-11-30, 03:22 PM
The party is melee focused. With a death cleric/bladelock, battlemaster, paladin vengeance, then I have a few that show up every so often, open fist monk, hunter ranger, wizard yet to pick school. But this reward is for the first three they are my core group and was the ones to get and complete the quest for this reward.

Foxhound438
2016-11-30, 03:24 PM
I like the idea as an option, but would offer something else for anyone not contempt with it

Maybe as an alternative to a cantrip tattoo, something like a magic item in a tattoo- probably uncommon would be fair, and give a couple choices, say necklace of adaptation or ring of jumping

For the 1/rest 2nd level spells, I'd say 7th level would be appropriate, as that's when 1/3 casters get 2nd level spells

Theodoxus
2016-11-30, 08:53 PM
I'd probably give a boon/blessing from the DMG - it can be fluffed as a tattoo, if you want it to be obvious.

Addaran
2016-11-30, 10:30 PM
I absolutly love cantrips and "free" spells! And since 2 out of 3 don't even have cantrips, I'm sure they'll appreciate.

Even for the one that already have cantrips, a bonus one is always fun, specialy if it's one not on his list.