PDA

View Full Version : I Just Got Into An Argument With My Co-Worker

Bartmanhomer
2016-11-30, 03:29 PM
Today at my job. My co-worker and I was having an discussion about Wi-Fi Outside with my phone. I told him that I can only get Wi-fi outside because I use an older Blu smartphone. But he didn't believe me and said that I can't get Wi-Fi outside, it's only for indoor and public areas. He also said that only data can get outside not wi-fi. Seriously I know what wi-fi and data does. My phone doesn't work at home and at my job because it got terrible wi-fi signal. So what does anybody else think about this argument?

lylsyly
2016-11-30, 06:08 PM
Sometimes you just have to let them live in ignorance. It isn't worth arguing over.

BWR
2016-12-01, 02:30 AM
Sometimes you just have to let them live in ignorance. It isn't worth arguing over.

Pretty much.

Alternatively you could prove your point by taking him outside and showing that it works.

factotum
2016-12-01, 03:13 AM
Alternatively you could prove your point by taking him outside and showing that it works.

Except he already said his phone *doesn't* work on the Wi-Fi at work, so that might be a bit tricky. :smallsmile:

DracoknightZero
2016-12-01, 03:33 AM
I am afraid you have to let the technological inept co-worker live with his ignorance until proof is enough to sway his mind, otherwise its not worth "educating" such people unless its necessary. So keep in mind that your time is more valuable than his knowledge.

Not every battle is worth fighting.

Bartmanhomer
2016-12-01, 03:21 PM
Ok I understand. My co-worker is a friend of mine. But sometimes he such a fool for such faulty knowledge. :annoyed:

Red Fel
2016-12-01, 03:27 PM
Ok I understand. My co-worker is a friend of mine. But sometimes he such a fool for such faulty knowledge. :annoyed:

We all have friends who are idiots for various reasons. Even ones who are otherwise smart will inevitably do something that shocks us with its stupidity. I guarantee it.

Surprise! Your friends and co-workers aren't perfect people. (They're not me, for starters.)

What you do is decide - in that moment - whether it's more important to be right, or to be friends. And if you choose the latter, you suck up the fact that everyone you know will have frustrating imperfections that grate on your sanity, each day rubbing the wound raw with their infuriating lack of ideal qualities, as every moment spent with them drives that wriggling worm of doubt deeper and deeper into your brain, until-

... Ahem. Just learn to deal, is my point.

Delicious Taffy
2016-12-01, 03:27 PM

It also helps if you let them purchase their happiness.

Bartmanhomer
2016-12-01, 04:12 PM
We all have friends who are idiots for various reasons. Even ones who are otherwise smart will inevitably do something that shocks us with its stupidity. I guarantee it.

Surprise! Your friends and co-workers aren't perfect people. (They're not me, for starters.)

What you do is decide - in that moment - whether it's more important to be right, or to be friends. And if you choose the latter, you suck up the fact that everyone you know will have frustrating imperfections that grate on your sanity, each day rubbing the wound raw with their infuriating lack of ideal qualities, as every moment spent with them drives that wriggling worm of doubt deeper and deeper into your brain, until-

... Ahem. Just learn to deal, is my point.

Fine. I'll learn to deal with it and accept his happiness of denial. :yuk:

dascarletm
2016-12-01, 05:23 PM
Honestly it depends on your relationship with your coworker imo. I have some that I would argue this sort of thing with (when we're off the clock) others I wouldn't. If the coworker is the type of person who doesn't get upset debating something, I say go ahead and show them. Otherwise, as the others said it isn't worth the trouble.

NePb
2016-12-01, 07:00 PM
I see two options here.

One being take a smart phone, prove that the data connection is off, and walk outside with wi-fi, bam done. Point proved.

Second being, is this REALLY an argument you need? You did say they were your friend, right? I've always been a fan of the feeling of smug superiority gleaned from being right when someone else is wrong. Especially because almost invariably you will have a conversation eventually that goes something like "You remember that data argument we had? Yeah, you were right. Sorry."

Then again, my co-workers and I freely admit mistakes because assigning blame does not help a workplace move forward.

The sooner one can filter ignorance in the workplace, the sooner one can be truly enlightened.

Bartmanhomer
2016-12-02, 10:37 AM
Honestly it depends on your relationship with your coworker imo. I have some that I would argue this sort of thing with (when we're off the clock) others I wouldn't. If the coworker is the type of person who doesn't get upset debating something, I say go ahead and show them. Otherwise, as the others said it isn't worth the trouble.
Well he's not the type of person who's like to argue for a living.

lio45
2016-12-02, 01:25 PM
Proving that you're right and he's wrong might not be more important in the grand scheme of things than to make sure you don't poison your relation with him by being an ass.

Some battles are worth fighting, some aren't. Depends entirely on the context.

If you two were business partners about to take a big decision based on that, then sure, you can't let him be wrong, even if you have to unpleasantly argue about it until one concedes defeat.

Or even if, say, you two are both phone salesmen, then for his sake it might be worth it to politely insist on helping him get his facts straight.

danzibr
2016-12-02, 01:43 PM
You could say, "Hey, buddy. Let me *prove* it to you that wifi can work outside." Then prove to do so. Doesn't seem confrontational or anything. Your buddy might thank you.

GloatingSwine
2016-12-11, 12:38 PM
Today at my job. My co-worker and I was having an discussion about Wi-Fi Outside with my phone. I told him that I can only get Wi-fi outside because I use an older Blu smartphone. But he didn't believe me and said that I can't get Wi-Fi outside, it's only for indoor and public areas. He also said that only data can get outside not wi-fi. Seriously I know what wi-fi and data does. My phone doesn't work at home and at my job because it got terrible wi-fi signal. So what does anybody else think about this argument?

The real question is why your phone works on wifi outside but not inside when it is presumably much closer to the access point with less obstacles (like the walls of the building the router is in).

Bartmanhomer
2016-12-11, 04:11 PM
The real question is why your phone works on wifi outside but not inside when it is presumably much closer to the access point with less obstacles (like the walls of the building the router is in).
Well I check my phone again, now it working everywhere. I apologized with my co-worker about it.