PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest adventuring experiences.

Clopin Silk
2016-11-30, 05:50 PM
This thread is exactly what it says; I want to know your weirdest, wildest and most absurd adventuring experiences, and I'll start with my own.
Alright, honesty time; I've only ever played a single session of D&D, and I can't quite remember whether it was 3.5 or PF, but it got freaky pretty fast. I was the elven Rogue Clopin Silk (backstory provided in a previous thread), rolling with the dwarven fighter Dit Pitfighter (strong as an ox, but only half as smart), the human sorceress Esmeralda (played by a girl so tired on that particular night that she was only awake for about half of it, and even then just barely), a human druid whose name I forget (who was only interested in the summoning of giant centipedes), and the human psion Soren (a DMPC who was mostly there to keep the plot moving, and who was thankfully at the same level of power as the rest of the party). We were... ridiculous.
The first big moment of stupidity happened on the road; Dit started dancing. While on horseback. And the druid joined in. They had to take balance checks, they both failed, they fell of their horses and took a couple points of non-lethal damage. And then they did it again.

Next was probably the cave incident. We'd stopped at a cave to rest for the night. I had first watch. With a wisdom of 10. Suffice to say, a pack of wolves got pretty damn close before I spotted them. I threw one of my starknives at them, and missed. I wished I'd been sensible enough to buy more than two, or grabbed a better primary melee weapon (first ever session, remember). The other members of the party were all easy enough to wake up, with the exception of Dit. This was a problem, because at that point, Dit was our heaviest hitter. Soren melted one wolf's brain, while the rest of us took another down together (Yeah, we didn't roll too hot, our druid had apparently prepared no spells except summoning spells that wouldn't work in such a small space and healing spells, and the sorceress only ever cast magic missile). And then, Dit finally woke up. He hit the last of the wolves with his warhammer, doing so much damage (stupidly high strength plus stupidly lucky rolls) that our DM ruled that the wolf had been rendered into wolf-flavoured slush.

We later fought either orc or goblins (they were green, but I forget everything beyond that). I threw a starknife, and missed completely (seriously, I had a dexterity score of 18, but I still missed whenever I threw anything). The druid failed to summon a centipede. Dit killed everything. Then came the hill. I say hill, but it was really more like a small cliff. I had not one but two ropes. The other party members decided to climb down without rope. Dit fell and took 2d6 of damage. Esmeralda fell. She only had 11 hp. I sort of half-caught her and she only had to roll 1d6 (she rolled a 2). I used the rope, because I wasn't an idiot.

And finally, the cavern full of skeletons. At this point, it becomes necessary to point out that, due to a lucky roll on my part sucking up to a merchant, combined with our DM being disgustingly generous with the results of that roll, we all had some magic equipment. The druid got boots that protected him from cold damage and meant that he no longer left footprints in the snow (useful given the climate we were questing in), Esmeralda got a ring that boosted her charisma by 1 (useful, given she'd been at an odd number), Soren got some rocks to plug into his head (I forget what those things are called), I got a Keen +1 throwing dagger that returned to my hand if I missed with a throw (I can't help but feel like I was being mocked with that last bit), and Dit? Dit got the Bonebane. Our combat powerhouse, who had never needed a second swing to kill anything, got a +1 warhammer that did bonus damage against undead. Like I said, disgustingly generous. So, despite my new toy, I still couldn't hit anything with a throw, so I just took a skeleton's head off in close combat (critical hits, I love you so). The druid finally summoned a centipede... but somehow botched the roll so that it was summoned all messes up and unable to move, so it just lay there while the skeletons clawed at it. And then came Dit's contribution. There was a kill or two on his part during this fight, but then came the big one. He hit a skeleton. On a natural 20. He got a critical hit, and he rolled maximum damage. With his monster strength. And a weapon that did bonus damage against undead. The skeleton was deemed to have been reduced to dust.

So, those are the highlight of the insanity that occurred during a single session. Think you can beat them?

Arbane
2016-12-01, 12:23 AM
I don't know about 'insane', but there was the time our group's Monk got eaten by two different dragons in the same session.

The first time was when we were communicating with the Dragon King of the city the campaign's based out of - it had been imprisoned in a anti-magical crystal, and we were trying to get it out. With the help of a wizard with some odd spells, we were able to contact it via a dream, and got some instructions how to break the prison. As the dragon faded away, it was replaced by a different one - some sort of dragon-like dream-aberration. It was hostile, and turned out to be FAR out of our CR. The Monk got pinned, and after the dragon got tired of his insolence, it bit him in half. The good news is, since this was just a dream, anyone it killed just woke up with a severe headache.
Earlier that session, that same monk had accidentally been teleported away from the rest of the party, to near his home country, and had met a local wizard who was NOT well-liked by his country. Said wizard was gracious enough while the monk was his guest, but after he left, the wizard sent some of his pet monsters to kill him.
I think the GM had either drastically overestimated the monk's abilities, or was just trying to flat-out kill him, as siccing three even-CR encounters at him AT ONCE seemed a bit excessive - two ghouls with rogue levels, some sort of fish-man, and a dragon with Swallow Whole.
The monk fought mightily, and beat the dragon within 5 HP of its life before one of the ghouls managed to paralyze him. At which point the dragon just swallowed him and flew off.

That would've been time to make a new character, but the monk had a magic tattoo that made him immune to acid damage, and once the paralysis wore off, he was able to beat the dragon to death from the inside, survive the fall, and (eventually) kill the other three monsters as well. Fun times.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-01, 01:24 AM
I don't know about 'insane', but there was the time our group's Monk got eaten by two different dragons in the same session.
Let me get this straight; your party's monk was eaten by two dragons in one session, and you're not sure if that's insane? I am in awe.

Inevitability
2016-12-01, 01:52 AM
I had found a giant, 10000-item list of random magical effects. Wanting to share it's majesty with my players, I had the players encounter a fortune teller who'd bestow a random effect for money.

The paladin got the ability to make any nonmagical, nonanimate tree he punched disappear instantaneously, as well as the inability to use hammers (all attempts would result in him hitting his own thumb).

Then, a few sessions later, the party had to go somewhere quickly, but were stopped by the town guard. The paladin stepped forward and touched a tree.

He scared a dozen warriors into moving aside by lightly tapping a tree and exploding it

Cirrylius
2016-12-01, 03:01 AM
My party and I ended up on the plane of infinite portals, during a planescape adventure. We were based in Sigil, so we didn't have any horses or transport magic, and obviously we wanted to move quickly. One of us had a rowboat in a bag of holding, for reasons I don't recall. Somebody had the idea of asking my character to cast Levitate on it.

Ten minutes later, we're carefully rowing, skimming across dead, sunbaked Abyssal earth in a floating rowboat.

Clopin Silk
2016-12-01, 03:36 PM
Ten minutes later, we're carefully rowing, skimming across dead, sunbaked Abyssal earth in a floating rowboat.

He scared a dozen warriors into moving aside by lightly tapping a tree and exploding it

See, this sort of thing is both why I love these forums, and why I live in fear of ending up with a sig that's eight pages long.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 03:57 PM
Not sure if this counts as weird but was unexpected :)

Had a party that was doing some portal hopping. :)

We ended up coming out of a portal into the back of a tavern in a not so friendly bar. Not so big an issue normally. Just wait till no one is looking and sneak out of the store room one at a time right? Well that would be ok if the Ranger didn't have a large tiger with him lol:) hard to explain how that just appeared.

The Ranger quick on his feat though covered the Tiger up and after the rest of the party left the store room quietly. Burst out causing a huge scene and jumping up on a table.

He got the bars attention of course and started performing a "Magic Trick". He went back and opened the door. See nothing in here.

Said some nonsense words and opened the door again after whispering for the tiger to come out of hiding.

The tiger was standing in the store room. The ranger and tiger then thanked the crowd and exited the store room as quickly as possible :)

RoboEmperor
2016-12-01, 04:02 PM
A fighter was tired of carrying around a lantern. He wanted his pack horse to be like a car with headlights. He instructed a sorcerer to cast light on the horse's eyes. The horse started screaming and running around rampantly, as his eyes were in intense pain from the brightness. Closing its eyes did not stop its pain. It can not end the light spell on its eyes because it doesn't know how to willfully end it being an animal. In the end the horse had to be killed to be spared of its misery.

Malimar
2016-12-01, 04:07 PM
Well, there was the one time the party faced a chainsaw-wielding Rakshasa mafioso riding a rainbow-barfing sleipnir on a flying ship full of illicit drugs.

But that's kind of par for the course for Spelljammer.

Krazzman
2016-12-01, 06:14 PM
I would say for me probably:
We were playing a published adventure for 3.5 (something with a coin of power and some evil witch trying to power it up and so on...) anyway we were a Human Totemist(me), Dwarven Fighter, Human Cleric of Kossuth and a Druid (going for stormlord).

After some travel time we finally reach some sort of keep where we should investigate an ingredient to the ritual of stopping the coin. Dumb thing is the Wizard residing there had cast some sort of weird stuff on his familiar (a housecat) as such that damned beast came to live each time with +1 to everything for every death... after we somehow tried to engage it nicely and it started shredding us lowly level 3 chars we were on the brink of TPK when my totemist got a lucky crit with a crossbow (around death 5 we started kiting it)...

Hardest fight ever.

But for my wife? Probably the time they killed a giant with an illusion of it's mother... or the time a halfling on a pony on a flying carpet with a bigass hat with a bigass feather killed the vampire solo while the rest of the party was partly dominated and started killing themselves.

Ethernil
2016-12-02, 04:33 AM
We were playing a 2man group consisting of a fighter dwarven defender and my character, a rogue temple raider if olidamara. The campaign story was that an evil organization was plotting to build an army and the typical cliche about bringing an end to what is good. I know the dm's inagination sucks...

Anyway, at some point we enter a portal hidden in a cave at the glaciers of the northern faerun and land on an island somewhere at the southeast. There we discover an underground cave complex where they build iron golems en mass. They use diamonds to power the golems to life.
We encounter a beholder along with a human and 2 summoned devilish panthers or something(summoned so there is no exp or loot gain). The fighter engages the beholder and I the rest, protection from evil really helped. At some point I kill my opponents and I go help the fighter who has been boasting about his high saving throws in a tune similar to jack sparrow and "I got a jar of dirt". Then he rolls a 1 and dies while I run, use invisibility and hide because I know the dm is a jackass and had probably given the damn thing true seeing, which he had. Then when it leaves I go check my dead comrade. I want to shave his beard to use for resurrection because I know he ll get mad but then I decide to cut off his right hand which holds some axe of moradin great weapon and is bound only to him, I cannot carry it alone. Then I get as many of the diamonds we found in a triple locked chest to pay for the Rez. I use a mix of hiding, invisibility, move silently and fly to escape the dungeon. I end up in the shore, put on my boots of water walking and try walk towards a spot I saw ships going by and try to get a lift. Imagine the captain of the ship in the middle of nowhere seeing an elf rogue holding a severed dwarf hand which is holding an adamantine axe asking for a lift to shore. Then I use the diamonds to pay for the resurection and a few days later I see my face on wanted posters from the temple. Turns out the diamonds were common coal glammered with illusion magic.

Cirtona Pox
2016-12-02, 09:41 PM
Not so weird but a rather cool way to explain certain aspects of character development.

After adventuring as a Rogue for awhile, my character was going to take a level of mage so he found a spellbook. Nothing weird but his familiar came with it all in one fell swoop.

The familiar was an Australian jumping spider (he named it Atterlade) that had survived the destruction of a lab. It was created by an evil wizard who was researching phase spiders. The wizard was slain by an adventuring party and the spider tagged along for the ride when they left.

He became the familiar of the party's wizard and developed the habit of stealing odds and ends to help the wizard cast spells (Eschew Materials is the feat granted by this familiar). Sadly, the entire party was slain by monsters of the Underdark.

On the plus side, my character found the spellbook and Atterlade began teaching him the basics of magical study.

Someone Else DM
2016-12-03, 10:44 AM
Not so much weird, but funny...

SETTING -> Low level party (3rd-4th), thick underbrush area on forest island, thousands of small snakes closing in, no mode of fly or other transportation.

ACTION -> Party Sorc casts flaming sphere...twice.

RESULT-> Underbrush ignites, fire quickly spreads, snakes and PC's trapped within circle of encroaching flames...TPK :frown:

Calthropstu
2016-12-03, 11:37 AM
A friend of mine made up a world and system of his own. There were mages, and wizards, and dragons that breathed fire...

And no magic. All of the "spells" were actually fueled by a powerful hallucinogen. It made people THINK they were hit by fireballs, and that they could levitate and do stuff... and the hallucination was strong enough, and people's belief strong enough, that they would actually take the damage and die. Of course, none of us realized this.

So, at one point we get stuck in a cave, and have fallen through the rocks. And our wizard says "I'll levitate us out..."

So we had a trippy adventure over the course of a week where we were basically stoned off our asses as our wizard was forced to cast more and more spells. And then we ran out of food. And were constantly hungry and had no clue why. Our answer was, "I go to the inn and get some food." And we were actually stuck in the cave... It went this way until the wizard ran out of "spell components"

A very weird adventure that.

barakaka
2016-12-03, 11:59 AM
I got a bard's tale for ya here! (spoiler, no bard in it)

I was playing in a nautical campaign starting at level 4. Some skeleton pirate guy had stormed our town and stolen our wenches. The rag-tag bunch of us set out to get them back. We had an anthropomorphic alligator, a duskblade/warblade, a ranger and myself. I played a cheesed out Anima Mage with Karsus bound. Combat was always pretty scary and I had a character die before the Anima Mage took up the torch.

We traveled to the island where Cap'n Bones and his band of pirates stashed their loot and wenches. On that island, the first thing we do is go to a nearby cave for shelter against the stormy night. Turns out there was a Giant Octopus in there. Four level 5 characters against a Giant Octopus. I got grappled on the surprise round, and the party rushed in to save me. I got free but before we could escape, all 3 of them got grappled instead! I was thumbing through my character sheet to find some way to save even one. I had spent a good chunk of my WBL on a scroll of Earth Reaver (SpC) and carried it for weeks. Unable to cast a spell of that level, I had to roll a caster level check to avoid backfire. I brandished the scroll, rolled my caster level check to avoid it backfiring... Success!!! The scroll let loose an onslaught of fire and earth and steam! The blast took out all the remaining 7 tentacles, and 1 shot the Giant Octopus!

If you take a look at the description for Octopus, Giant; you find that severing a tentacle deals 5 points of damage to the octopus itself. It took a total of 35 damage just from the shock of its tentacles dying!