PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Dragonriders of Kaynn: A BBEG prestige class (PEACH)

The_Iron_Lord
2016-11-30, 07:11 PM
Hello, all! I have a prestige class that I plan to use in my campaign as enemies, and I want to see if it is unbalanced or if it is reasonable. Keep in mind this in not intended for PC use, and judge accordingly. Also, I have changed the black dragon breath weapon to a 30ft cone of dark energy that is for all intents and purposes acid(see below).

If you are Aradan the warforged knight or Istalri the grey elf wizard, don't look.

Prerequisites:

BAB: +7
Skills: Ride 10, Diplomacy 4
Feats: Mounted Combat
Alignment: Any Evil
Special: The prospective Rider must pass severe tests assigned by the current head of the Ebony Riders, and also gain the service of a black dragon (see below)

The Ebony Riders Of Kaynn

HD: d10

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Class Features
Spellcasting progression

1st
+0
+2
+0
+2
Dragon Mount, Ebon Eyes(60 feet), Dragonstrike +1d6
-/td]

[td]2nd
+1
+3
+0
+3
Breath Weapon 1d6
+1 level of arcane spellcasting class

3rd
+2
+3
+1
+3
Shared Metabreath
-

4th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Breath Weapon 2d6

5th
+3
+4
+1
+4
Water Breathing, Dragonstrike +2d6
-

6th
+4
+5
+2
+5
Breath Weapon 3d6, Shared Metabreath

7th
+5
+5
+2
+5
Ebon Eyes(120 feet)
-

8th
+6
+6
+2
+6
Breath Weapon 4d6

9th
+6
+6
+3
+6
Shared Metabreath
-

10th
+7
+7
+3
+7
Breath Weapon 5d6, Dragonstrike +3d6, Dragonlord

[tr]

Skill points per level: 2 + Int mod
Class Skills: Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge(arcana), Ride, Spellcraft
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Ebony Rider gains proficiency in all simple weapons, martial weapons, all armors, and all shields except tower shields.
Dragon Mount: At first level, the Ebony Rider is given the services of a black dragon as a mount. The dragon is of the minimum age category to be one size larger than the rider (thus, a Medium Rider would gain the services of a Young Adult black dragon). The Rider is immune to the frightful presence and breath weapon of his mount dragon (if it has them), but not to the frightful presence or breath weapon of any other dragons. This is an extraordinary ability. The rider can designate any creatures to be immune to the dragon’s frightful presence, but not its breath weapon, as a free action. This status can also be revoked as a free action, and is a supernatural ability. The Ebony Rider is also considered familiar with riding dragons for the purposes of the Ride skill, regardless of the original mount designated as familiar upon original selection of the skill. If the mount dies in battle or is otherwise taken from the rider, the Ebony Rider can either be given a new mount by the Ebony Riders of Kaynn, or, if the main base is inaccessible, by a week-long ritual to call a new mount, costing 1000 gp and 100 xp. After the ritual is complete, an appropriately aged black dragon appears, and the Rider must make a Diplomacy check to change the dragon’s attitude to at least friendly before they accept the role of mount. Regardless of which method is used to gain a new mount, the rider must spend one week of training per level of Ebony Rider in order to have this dragon be considered the Rider’s Dragon Mount.
Ebon Eyes: The Ebony Rider gains darkvision 60 feet, but this darkvision is capable of seeing through even magically conjured darkness. As long as the Rider is on his Dragon Mount, the mount also gains this darkvision. If the Rider already has darkvision, its range is increased by 60 feet, and gains the ability to see in even magical darkness.At 7th level, the range of this darkvision extends to 120 feet, or one adds 60 feet of range to pre-existing darkvision.
Dragonstrike(Ex): Whenever the Ebony Rider is riding his Dragon Mount and he makes a melee attack, he adds 1d6 to the damage. The added damage increases to 2d6 at 5th level, and 3d6 at 10th.
Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each even-numbered level, an Ebony Rider gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, a bonus feat, and so on). If he had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an Ebony Rider, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.
Breath Weapon (Su): At 2nd level, you gain a breath weapon that you can use every 1d4 rounds as a standard action. Each time you use your breath weapon, it takes the form of a 15-foot cone of dark energy that is for all practical intents and purposes acid. This breath weapon deals 1d6 points of acid damage; a successful Reflex save (DC 10 + your Ebony Rider class level + your Con modifier) halves the damage. The breath weapon’s damage increases by 1d6 at 4th level, and every 2 levels thereafter.
Shared Metabreath: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th levels, the Ebony Rider gains a bonus metabreath feat. As long as the Ebony Rider is riding his Dragon Mount, the mount gains the benefits of the metabreath feat as well.
Water Breathing(Ex): At 5th level, the Ebony Rider can breathe underwater indefinitely and can freely use his breath weapon, spells, and other abilities underwater.
Dragonlord: At 10th level, an Ebony Rider is an exemplar of cooperation with black-dragonkind, and an extremely powerful combatant. There are three benefits of Dragonlord. Firstly, the Ebony Rider is a commander of the Dragonriders of Kaynn, and is likely the top leader. Secondly, he gains a +5 bonus on Diplomacy, Bluff, and Intimidate checks pertaining to or against dragons. Finally, the Ebony Rider gains the half-black dragon template with no LA.

Grand Arbiter
2016-12-01, 06:25 PM
I took a look earlier today, and it seems pretty good to me. I have only 2 comments/suggestions:
•Water breathing should be fine to give full effects at 5th level. The NPC would be at least 12th level, so continuous water breathing should not be a significant balance problem.
•For the capstone, I think the +10 perfection bonus to all of those things could be a bit too much. The Half-dragon template without LA is already pretty good, especially if you use some of the stuff from the Races of the Dragon supplement. I'd suggest giving an untyped bonus to social skills with dragons if you feel it needs more than the template.

The_Iron_Lord
2016-12-02, 06:03 PM
Okay, I added the recommendations to the OP.

JoshuaZ
2016-12-02, 08:40 PM
A few minor issues. For Dragon Mount, is making beings immune to the frightening presence a supernatural or extraordinary effect?

One thing that doesn't alter it as a BBEG PrC but may be worth considering for general use. If one wants to prevent level 1 dips, which are especially necessary when you have a lot of class features on level 1, it might make more sense to make the increase to casting at even levels rather than odd levels.

remetagross
2016-12-03, 09:44 AM
I think the fact that Darkvision is able to see through magical darkness should be extended to the mount, or else the rider won't be very effective in such an area :) also, why does the breath weapon work once every 1d3 rounds instead of 1d4 rounds like dragon breath weapons? Finallyn it seems evident, but you should precise that the half-dragon template bestowed on level 10 is the half-black dragon template, isn't it?

The_Iron_Lord
2016-12-03, 07:59 PM
Finished adding the new suggestions to the OP.