PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster tweak

The Cats
2016-11-30, 07:26 PM
Just looking for opinions on a couple changes I might make to let my resident ranger feel a little more powerful at lower levels. Mostly wondering if this would be giving her too much.

Your companion's hitpoint maximum is equal to four times your ranger level PLUS its normal maximum

Sic 'em!
At third level you can take an action to command your companion to attack a target you can both see. Make an animal handling check. On a success your companion attacks the target for 1d4+1 rounds. On failure your companion disobeys and does nothing.

The DC is based on the creature it is being commanded to attack. Starting at 5 for beasts, it increases by level of weirdness (aberrations would be pretty high) and the size of the target (higher DC for each size category up, lower for each size category down)

This is in addition to all the standard rules for companions. Sic 'em would be the go-to until fifth level when she'll have to consider the benefits of her companion continuing to attack vs. the benefits of her getting a shot in.

Thoughts?

Fuzzy Logic
2016-11-30, 07:45 PM
Have you tried the unearthed arcana revised beast master? The community seems to like it. ( I haven't tried it myself)

The Cats
2016-11-30, 08:12 PM
Have you tried the unearthed arcana revised beast master? The community seems to like it. ( I haven't tried it myself)

I had not even looked at it... ok, problem solved. Thanks!