PDA

View Full Version : How to keep incorporeal things in\out ?

NevinPL
2016-12-01, 06:08 AM
ectoplasm (Ghostwalk),
force effects,
Ghostwall shellac (Dungeonscape),
Ghost Trap (SpC).

Anything else ?

Firest Kathon
2016-12-01, 06:59 AM
Forbiddance (D20 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm)/Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/forbiddance)) prevents them from entering the warded area.

IcarusWulfe
2016-12-01, 07:54 AM
Make the walls, floor, and ceiling out of ghost touch weapons.

ShurikVch
2016-12-01, 08:02 AM
Just make the doors, walls, floors, and ceilings as thick as possible: Incorporeal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) creatures are incapable to walk through the things which are thicker than their Space (30' for typical Colossal creature)

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-01, 09:06 AM
What do you need to keep them out of exactly?

You would be surprised what a well designed safe can do for stopping incorporeals. Keep in mind that something has to have the space to fully manifest in order to actually more or take action on something. Want to make sure someone can't walk through the walls into your saferoom and take stuff? Make sure the space between the door and the shelf is too narrow to allow someone to manifest between them without being stuck in the door or shelf. You can open the door to get to the stuff on the shelf, but then you need to OPEN the door, and being incorporeal doesn't help open a door.

Psyren
2016-12-01, 09:54 AM
Forbiddance (D20 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm)/Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/forbiddance)) prevents them from entering the warded area.

I think you're confusing incorporeal with ethereal. Most incorporeal creatures are on the same plane as you, so Forbiddance won't interact with them at all unless you can somehow use the alignment function of the spell.

3.5 Ghosts are a special case as they are both ethereal and incorporeal, and so Forbiddance will keep them out of an area.

Firest Kathon
2016-12-01, 10:07 AM
I think you're confusing incorporeal with ethereal. Most incorporeal creatures are on the same plane as you, so Forbiddance won't interact with them at all unless you can somehow use the alignment function of the spell.
3.5 Ghosts are a special case as they are both ethereal and incorporeal, and so Forbiddance will keep them out of an area.
Quite right ... I should stop doing three things at once.

Inevitability
2016-12-01, 10:20 AM
Make the walls, floor, and ceiling out of ghost touch weapons.

There's a cheaper way: by making the entire wall a 'permanent magic item' (which should add a few thousand GP at most) it can be enchanted with Ghost Touch at only a 10% increase in base price (Savage Species, page 42). Ghostproof your fortress for 5000 GP!

Pleh
2016-12-01, 10:55 AM
May be trivial, but rule 0 works, too. Sometimes, like on Dagobah, some regions are magically charged or oriented. There can be regions that have holy or sacred protections that prohibit incorporeal creatures or arcane wizard towers that use force walls to prevent phasing through the walls (maybe especially for a necromancer who creates such creatures).

I had a campaign with a custom deity who was concerned with helping the dead reach their intended afterlife and so he created a Tower that attracted all disembodied spirits towards itself, where his clerics would minister to help them move on from this life.

The main advice about using Rule 0 would probably be not being too heavy handed with it. Gotta make sure players can still work around it, but just make sure they earn their right to overcome their environment.

NevinPL
2016-12-02, 04:29 AM
What do you need to keep them out of exactly?
For now, I need to keep some Energons in.
Maybe some incorporeal undead too.

Crake
2016-12-02, 04:41 AM

Ghosts don't travel ethereally though, they manifest, which is a special borderline case. They exist on the ethereal plane, they can travel to a coterminous location that is forbiddanced without any issue, and then manifest on the material plane perfectly fine, because they aren't actually performing any planar travel.

I believe in earlier editions, gorgon blood was usable as a means of preventing incorporeal creatures from entering. I believe it was "coating the walls such that no area the size of a man's head could pass through" was the requirement, so polka dots of gorgon blood was the way to go.

Edit: The source was volo's guide to all things magical, but upon reading it, it only specifies astral and ethereal travel, so no ethereal jaunting or teleporting into the place.

Inevitability
2016-12-02, 06:53 AM
For now, I need to keep some Energons in.
Maybe some incorporeal undead too.

Diplomance them? As far as I know, energons and most incorporeal undead are intelligent.

Jowgen
2016-12-02, 08:57 AM
There's a cheaper way: by making the entire wall a 'permanent magic item' (which should add a few thousand GP at most) it can be enchanted with Ghost Touch at only a 10% increase in base price (Savage Species, page 42). Ghostproof your fortress for 5000 GP!

I second this. It's the simplest and most economical option. Never make a treasure room without it.

Troacctid
2016-12-02, 04:13 PM
I haven't looked, but I'm sure there must be some Wondrous Architecture in the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook that does this?

Just make the doors, walls, floors, and ceilings as thick as possible: Incorporeal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype) creatures are incapable to walk through the things which are thicker than their Space (30' for typical Colossal creature)
I believe ethereal creatures do not have this restriction, so this would not stop ghosts. But it's good against some incorporeal creatures, sure.

NevinPL
2016-12-02, 04:28 PM
Diplomance them?
It's for my mentioned in other threads, mad scientist, so I really doubt I can persuade them to be poked, and probed for the "greater madness" (maybe undead ones), or something ;)
Secondly, the laboratory in question will be abandoned for some time, so no one to play the diplomat.

Darrin
2016-12-02, 04:32 PM
Other materials:

Riverine (Stormwrack). 2000 GP per pound.
Serren (BoED). 4000 GP for a bow... other items = ???