PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of a dragon knight?

Shadowbane13
2016-12-01, 08:17 AM
Hey guys my group is starting a new campaign and I was considering being a dragon knight but I can't find it in any books. Is there such a class or nah? If not no big deal just asking the best of the best about it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-01, 09:06 AM
Hey guys my group is starting a new campaign and I was considering being a dragon knight but I can't find it in any books. Is there such a class or nah? If not no big deal just asking the best of the best about it.
There's no base class, but there are plenty of ways to acquire a draconic friend to ride around on. What levels and sources are you looking at?

Ezekiul
2016-12-01, 10:36 AM
There's a prestige class in dragonlance campaign setting called Dragon Rider that grants a higher than normal leadership feat dragon cohort. Its a 10 level prestige class starting that requires 10 BAB, a few feats, and some skills.

I'm sure you could adapt it in a way to be a base class.

Karl Aegis
2016-12-01, 10:41 AM
There is the Purple Dragon Knight from Complete Warrior and a Forgotten Realms book. They don't get cool abilities besides Final Stand, but they do have Dragon Knight in their name.

Shadowbane13
2016-12-01, 11:43 AM
Cool thanks guys. And I'm just browsing classes as of right now. Not totally set on what I wanna be but the advice helps. Thanks. And I'm allowed to use any 3.5e book so no real restrictions besides edition.

Troacctid
2016-12-01, 01:36 PM
Knight of the Scale could be best described as a dragon knight.

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 01:44 PM
Knight of the Scale could be best described as a dragon knight.

Took me a couple minutes to find so that's in Dragon #296 if anyone else was wondering.

mastermisha1
2016-12-01, 02:05 PM
A paladin with the Drakkensteed Mount ACF (Dragon Magic pg 13) could be seen as a dragon knight.

Flickerdart
2016-12-01, 02:16 PM
The major issues with being a dragon rider is that the dragon is probably contributing more to the battle than you are, due to the expenditure of resources necessary to obtain one. Or you didn't spend enough resources, your dragon sucks, and it dies in the first battle.

The easiest way to get a dragon mount is, of course, straight Paladin (or multiclass Paladin/divine caster with the Holy Mount feat). The exotic mount rules in the back of the DMG allow you to pick anything able and willing, as long as its CR is 3 less than your Paladin level, or 4 less if it can fly. A medium-sized paladin could get a Large very young gold dragon (CR 7) at level 11. A small-sized paladin could score a very young silver dragon, or a gold or bronze wyrmling at level 9.

Red Fel
2016-12-01, 03:13 PM

Well, here's the first question: How do you define "dragon knight"? A knight who rides a dragon? A knight who is dragon-themed or inspired by dragons? A knight who protects dragons, or slays them? A knight who is a dragon? Does "knight" mean a literal horse-mounted heavily-armored noble, or just any armed fighter? Or does it even require you to have weaponry at all, if the emphasis is on "dragon" rather than "knight?"

Let's start with what you actually want, and then we can find out what fits.

Shadowbane13
2016-12-01, 05:06 PM
Well, here's the first question: How do you define "dragon knight"? A knight who rides a dragon? A knight who is dragon-themed or inspired by dragons? A knight who protects dragons, or slays them? A knight who is a dragon? Does "knight" mean a literal horse-mounted heavily-armored noble, or just any armed fighter? Or does it even require you to have weaponry at all, if the emphasis is on "dragon" rather than "knight?"

Let's start with what you actually want, and then we can find out what fits.

Well I was looking for something closest to a dragoon from final fantasy.

Flickerdart
2016-12-01, 05:16 PM
So a guy that jumps on people, and not in fact a dragon knight at all?

Just take Leap Attack from Complete Adventurer, and pick up a spear. Boom, you're a dragoon from Final Fantasy.

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 05:21 PM

Just take Leap Attack from Complete Adventurer, and pick up a spear. Boom, you're a dragoon from Final Fantasy.

This. Also, Talon of Tiamat is a fairly accessible prestige class that would give you a variety of breath attacks.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-01, 06:47 PM

Don't forget Battle Jump from Unapproachable East.

barakaka
2016-12-01, 06:50 PM
And be a paladin so you can cast Rhino's Rush (Spell Compendium I think?) for more charge damage. It also contributes to a knight in shining armor feel.

Shadowbane13
2016-12-01, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the insight. I was just thinking of doing a paladin with a polearm and figuring out a way to jump.

Another class I was looking for was a summoner class. All I can find is pathfinder though and those books are ruled out by our DM. Any suggestions?

Gellhorn
2016-12-01, 07:29 PM
Druids can make very good summoners.They can spontaneously cast summoning spells, and have a number of feats available to buff their summoning.

Shadowbane13
2016-12-01, 07:39 PM
Druids can make very good summoners.They can spontaneously cast summoning spells, and have a number of feats available to buff their summoning.

Dur I'm an idiot for not really processing what summoning meant. Thanks lol

How about a fighter dragoon style build? Gain the necessary feats faster and have the high health and armor prof.

Red Fel
2016-12-01, 08:27 PM
Dur I'm an idiot for not really processing what summoning meant. Thanks lol

If you want a particularly interesting and potent summoner, and one that isn't quite as overwhelmingly powerful as a Druid, consider the Moonspeaker prestige class from Races of Eberron.

Step one is playing a Shifter. Here's a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?225294-3-5-The-Shifter-Handbook-(WIP)). The type of Shifter is up to you, but Dreamsight Shifters do get a Wis bonus, albeit sucky options otherwise.

Step two, take Druid for your first few levels, because awesome. Consider, as an option, taking Shifter Druid substitution levels at 1 and 4. Shifter Druid 1 replaces your animal, companion with a buff that grows with your Druid level, which is pretty nice. Shifter Druid 4 replaces Resist Nature's Lure, which is rubbish, with a bonus to Initiative and Reflex saves (and a penalty to Will saves, but Druids have no problems there). Avoid Shifter Druid 5, it's crap.

Step three, at Druid 8, PrC into Moonspeaker. While it does hinder your Druid Wildshape ability, it gives massive boosts to summoning, including:
The Augment Summoning feat
Free double duration of summoning spells (which stacks with Extend Spell)
Bonus spells added to your list
Bonus creatures added to your Summon Nature's Ally options
The ability to cast Lesser Planar Ally, Planar Ally, Greater Planar Ally, and Gate.
And you can always take feats like Greenbound Summoning to make your summons even more potent.

How about a fighter dragoon style build? Gain the necessary feats faster and have the high health and armor prof.

Critfisher Warblade with Tiger Claw style and the Death From Above maneuver?

Shadowbane13
2016-12-01, 09:13 PM
So I'm going fighter with dragoon style build. I'm using a glaive and not sure on race yet. Obviously looking for bonus to jump or skills. Was considering dragonborn with wings for battle jump and it gives +10 to jump plus flying around later will be fun.

Feats I'm looking into are:
Power attack
Leap attack
Battle jump
Leap of the heavens

Not sure what else can help.

PrismCat21
2016-12-01, 10:58 PM
If you choose Dragonborn, remember that you'll lose much of what your base race gave you, (such as a bonus feat for Human).

Make sure you get decent bang for your buck.

Edit: Also remember, your jump check can increase or decrease based on your speed. The faster you are, the bigger the bonus.

gorfnab
2016-12-01, 10:58 PM
This handbook may help you with building a dragoon.
Guide to the 3.5 Dragoon (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200.0)

Manyasone
2016-12-02, 12:33 AM
Check one of my earlier posts for my view on a dragoon like that. They also referred to the guide above but I don't particularly like that guide... Dragoons in FF are typically very Lawful characters. Smacking whirling frenzy spirit lion totem barbarian one EVERY SINGLE warrior build does not an interesting character make...

gorfnab
2016-12-02, 03:13 AM
Check one of my earlier posts for my view on a dragoon like that. They also referred to the guide above but I don't particularly like that guide... Dragoons in FF are typically very Lawful characters. Smacking whirling frenzy spirit lion totem barbarian one EVERY SINGLE warrior build does not an interesting character make...
While there are several ways to get pounce (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement), spirit lion totem barbarian is the most cost efficient. It is also just one level out of twenty so it doesn't define a full build. It's really just there for mechanical purposes.

Kaje
2016-12-02, 04:31 AM
A barbarian can even become lawful without losing any class features if they take ferocity or berserker strength instead of rage.

DedWards
2016-12-02, 05:46 AM

Oh. And here I was looking at the Dragon Knight (http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Dragon_Knight) from DotA :smallannoyed:

While reading through this (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dragoon_(job)) I've pin pointed two major factors for the build. The first is easy, you'll be wielding Spears, Lances, etc. The second is a little difficult. The defining feature of a Dragoon throughout FF is the "Jump" ability that effectively increases your damage with Spears, etc. Feats like Lunge and Pounce cover the movement of "Jump", but you'll need to take something else to increase the damage.

Not sure if the rule exists in 3.5, but in Pathfinder, if you charge while mounted, your Lance deals double damage. Triple if you have the Spirited Charge feat.

Kaje
2016-12-02, 07:33 AM
Oh don't worry, there's a bunch of stackable ways to double your charge damage.

Shadowbane13
2016-12-02, 01:45 PM
If I do a running (charge) attack with a leap before the attack and sacrifice power attack doesn't that triple in damage and if I crit it'd stack no? So basically saying I use a glaive which is a d10+str+power attackx3?

PacMan2247
2016-12-02, 08:12 PM
If you're dedicated to the jumping and don't mind level adjustment, there's always thri-kreen for the +30 racial bonus. If you're allowed to buy back level adjustment, two monstrous humanoid racial hit dice wouldn't hurt too badly. Going for the psionic version so you can take Speed of Thought for +10 to your speed probably isn't worth it, unless you need your foot slot open for something specific.

EDIT: Should have specified for a melee build. If you're going with summoning, 2 caster levels is a lot to give up.

Thurbane
2016-12-02, 09:13 PM
If you gestalted Dragon Shaman//Knight from PHB2, might be an OK class?

Shadowbane13
2016-12-03, 02:07 PM
EDIT: Should have specified for a melee build. If you're going with summoning, 2 caster levels is a lot to give up.

I was picking one or the other. Wasn't gonna do a mix. I'm pretty set on the fighter dragoon style build. Just doing a bit more research before making the final decision.