PDA

View Full Version : What setting has the best Giants?

ButterPanda888
2016-12-01, 10:38 AM
Be it from a book, movie, video game, card game, graphic novel, roleplaying game, miniature wargame, tv show, anime/manga/manhwa, whatever. I wanna know where all the best Giants, Titans, Behemoths, Colossi, etc. are. It can be fantasy (Preferably), but scifi, steampunk, post-apocalyptic, horror, a blend of multiple genres, or whatever are all perfect as well.

So where are the best giants?

Flickerdart
2016-12-01, 12:04 PM
New York has the best Giants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Giants).

Seriously though, what is your criteria?

ButterPanda888
2016-12-01, 12:48 PM

Large, at least somewhat humanoid. They can be flesh, ice, stone, wood, plant matter, clay, metal, whatever, but they must be sentient.

Not Giants: Giant Animals, Giant Robots, Kaiju, Superheroes with growing powers.

Giants: Jotun; Hellenistic Titans, Cyclops, and perhaps gods; treants; Trolls (the traditional folklore kind); Colossi made by divine powers to serve as guardians, sentries, or watchers; traditional giants, etc.

Flickerdart
2016-12-01, 02:01 PM
Ok, so that's your criteria for giants. But what is your criteria for best? What is the metric being used?

ButterPanda888
2016-12-01, 02:42 PM
Ok, so that's your criteria for giants. But what is your criteria for best? What is the metric being used?

Your favorite. What setting has the best giants in your opinion.
If you want guidelines it can be most unique, most well written, best looking, most powerful, most badass, etc.

LuckyStrike
2016-12-01, 03:01 PM
Jack and the beanstalk. I remember it made a giant impression on me as a kid.

NePb
2016-12-01, 08:02 PM
I was going to say James and the Giant Peach, but giant peaches don't meet criteria.

Then I was going to say Tintin in the one with the meteorite, but that was giant spiders apples and mushrooms so... doesn't meet criteria.

:/

San Francisco has the best Giants.

ButterPanda888
2016-12-02, 03:08 AM
I personally really like the giants from Game of Thrones, the giants from The Spiderwick Chronicles, the frost giants from Marvel, and the Titans from World of Warcraft.

I also like giants that are so big that they literally have their heads in the clouds.

golentan
2016-12-02, 01:17 PM
The best Colossi in my opinion are Alchemical Exalted who have hit high essence, so I'm gonna go with Exalted. :smallsmile:

Bicorn
2016-12-02, 03:55 PM
Norse mythology!!!

Just joking I like all the giants from D&D. A classic is a classic.

ButterPanda888
2016-12-03, 11:06 AM
Norse mythology!!!

Just joking I like all the giants from D&D. A classic is a classic.

Hey, mythology counts and the Norse know their giants.

I really like D&D giants as well.

Inevitability
2016-12-03, 12:09 PM
Eberron has some pretty neat giants. Also, they may or may not be responsible for the invention of warforged, which are one of my favorite D&D races.

Frozen_Feet
2016-12-03, 04:48 PM
Of contemporary series, Shingeki no Kyojin.

Drascin
2016-12-03, 04:57 PM
I don't know about the best giants as a race, but I do know which game has the best giant, as in a specific individual who is a giant.

Which would be Dark Souls. Giantbro is a good guy.

nyjastul69
2016-12-03, 06:50 PM
I've always liked Stephen R. Donaldson's take on giants in his Thomas Covenant series.

Vinyadan
2016-12-04, 09:06 AM
Roald Dahl's, obviously.

And the best depiction of giants in general is the one in the Odyssey with the Cyclops society. It is a mix of maliciousness, gullibility and gore that I don't think has ever been topped, especially because of the remarks by the other Cyclops when Polyphemus call for help.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-04, 09:34 AM
*boots of speed turn lime green*

There's this one webcomic you might have heard of about a D&D 3.5 party. I'm really digging their frost giants, they seem pretty cool. It's done by this Rich guy who has huge talent.

*flees*

Traab
2016-12-04, 10:39 AM
Giants in two games, Everquest, and WoW. In Everquest, at least back in the time when I played, there were all sorts of giants, including fire giants that lived in a fortress inside a volcano, frost giants that worked for an ice dragon and also live on another continent in their own massive city, you had wandering hillgiants that didnt seem to talk much, just tried to squish everything they saw, it was great variety and interesting beings. In WoW you have another solid selection including magma giants, stone giants, ones that live in the water and so on. The most enjoyable is a quest chain in a zone where you first get sent around to collect this blue stone/gem stuff. Then you talk to a friendly giant who laughs and explains thats giant excrement. The rest of the quest is spent trying to literally scare the poop out of this giant. He doesnt appreciate it much. Another one is in what amounts to the elemental plane of earth. You end up doing faction work, lots of quests, and befriending them by saving their area from destruction.

Brother Oni
2016-12-04, 12:05 PM
Wyzen of the Seven Deities.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/11660/1521877-__________________bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Inevitability
2016-12-07, 12:13 PM
Wyzen of the Seven Deities.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/1/11660/1521877-__________________bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

That's more 'giant' than 'giants', though.

Pyromancer999
2016-12-08, 08:16 AM
Eberron. More specifically, the history of the giants in Xendrik. Smart, hyper-advanced giants that may or may not have made the plans for the original warforged? Pretty cool fluff right there.

Bohandas
2016-12-08, 09:46 AM
Do Discworld's trolls count as earth subtype giants or as elementals? Because if the former, than Discworld.

Akisa
2016-12-10, 12:14 PM
New York has the best Giants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Giants).

Um you mean New Jersey?

Lappy9001
2016-12-11, 09:11 PM
I'm personally a big fan of the colossi from Shadow of the Colossus (whom I believe do fit your criteria). Even though they don't talk and don't have facial expressions, they emote through their body gestures and behavior. And, of course, they're all beautifully designed.

They'd be a great thing to use as a basis for a race of giants if you expand upon their personalities/traits

Celestia
2016-12-19, 06:36 PM
Andre is clearly the best giant.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-19, 08:04 PM
Andre is clearly the best giant."I just want you to feel you're doing well. I hate for people to die embarrassed."

Jay R
2016-12-20, 01:03 PM
When I was a little comic-book-reading kid, I really liked Stumbo the Giant
http://www.toonopedia.com/stumbo.jpg

Scarlet Knight
2016-12-24, 12:38 AM
No love for the Greek myths?

The Titans are great, and their names (ie Atlas or Prometheus) are still known today. We all know the cyclops from the Odyssey. Even the giants , who were third stringers , were cool . Take Anteus, who Hercules had to hold aloft to defeat because he would revive when he contacted his mother Earth. That was a great story that stayed with me since childhood.

Salieri
2017-01-03, 02:49 AM
The Banner Saga (a computer turn-based tactical story) has the Varl, and they're probably my favorite of the giant type. They're twice as tall as a man, horned, and essentially ageless. They aren't born, but were made by the god Hadrborg. With their creator dead, the Varl are a doomed race; no more can be crafted in the fires of the gods, a divine fire which has led them to have a strong fear of the more mundane fire.

Inevitability
2017-01-03, 04:47 AM
Just thought of another one; the giants of Stand Still Stay Silent (http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=1). They're... well, let's just say they're pretty different.

Bohandas
2017-03-14, 11:28 PM
Don Quixote, where they provide clean renewable energy :D

LughSpear
2017-03-18, 02:12 PM
Don Quixote, where they provide clean renewable energy :D

I think they were used to mill grain or pump water at that time.:smallconfused:

Greek Mythology has the Hecatonchires, they were giants of great storms and hurricanes with strength and ferocity that surpassed all of the Titans, they also had one hundred hands and fifty heads, their father Uranus found them disgusting and threw them into Tartarus. Eventually Zeus would free them and they would aid the gods against the Titans.

How cool is that?

Murk
2017-03-18, 02:16 PM
I think they were used to mill grain or pump water at that time.:smallconfused:

Which requires energy too, and if you let the wind or river do it, that energy is clean and renewable :smallwink:

kyoryu
2017-03-18, 05:20 PM
I've always liked Stephen R. Donaldson's take on giants in his Thomas Covenant series.

RIP Saltheart Foamfollower

GloatingSwine
2017-03-18, 05:24 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles.

The giants are the setting.

shawnhcorey
2017-03-18, 07:49 PM
Fezzik, played by André the Giant. :)