PDA

View Full Version : Gaining eyes

Tiri
2016-12-01, 12:07 PM
How would an eyeless creature (for example, a grimlock) go about growing some eyes?

So far the only possible method I've found is the Willing Deformity (Eye) feat, in which an attempt to add a third eye is mentioned, but since the attempt is not specified as suceeding I'm not too sure about it.

I also know about grafts that involve eyes, but I'd prefer not to have to resort to that.

Does anyone know of any other methods?

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 12:08 PM
There are eye grafts. I only know you can get Bodak eyes off the top of my head but there are probably others.

Gruftzwerg
2016-12-01, 12:50 PM
How would an eyeless creature (for example, a grimlock) go about growing some eyes?

"growing" - not that I would be aware of.

would polymorphing count?
you could go Master Transmogrifist 10 which gives you Infinite Variety for your Favorite Shapes. You could take Grimlock as Favorite Shape and add Hydras bite attacks (aka Hydra head = eyes).

other solution could be magic items: 3rd eyes and get true sight.

Zaq
2016-12-01, 12:57 PM
Pop open Eberron Campaign Setting to pg. 264 and look at the Crystalline Eye embedded item. It's probably exactly what you're looking for. It's usually placed on the hand, but there's no reason that it couldn't be placed on the face, or wherever else you wanted it to be placed.

Now, Quori embedded shards (of which this is an example) are only supposed to work on kalashtar and Inspired, but that's what Use Psionic Device is for. (Or maybe Use Magic Device.)

ShurikVch
2016-12-01, 12:59 PM
How about those stuff? -
Ocular Adept PrC
Crystalline Eye in Eberron Campaign Setting
Sign of Geryon vestige is extra eyes
Some of soulmelds, when bound to chakra, hide/change/replace existing eyes

The Viscount
2016-12-01, 04:36 PM
If you bind Malphas, you'll have an always present bird you can see through the eyes of and control, so that can serve decently well until you find something better. You can get it with proper feats or just 1 level and improved binding.

Tiri
2016-12-02, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the help, everyone. I think the best solution for what I'm thinking of is probably the soulmelds, although it's hardly ideal.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Inevitability
2016-12-02, 11:40 AM
There was this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?504531-Is-there-a-way-to-gain-sight&p=21345030) a month ago or so.

Are dragon magazine vestiges allowed? One of them grants you an additional eye: just check the linked thread's last post.

ShurikVch
2016-12-02, 12:22 PM
I don't sure how well it may fit you goals, but Dragon #330 article about Far Realm included rules for (cosmetic) mutations.
You may get them during magical healing near a Cerebrotic Marrow.
One of possible mutation is "Blinking eye"
So, go to Cerebrotic Marrow, scratch the place where you want an eye, then cast healing spell
Surgical removal of unwanted mutation cause 3d10 damage
Note: by the RAW, appearance aside, mutations don't have any effect

Inevitability
2016-12-02, 01:13 PM
I don't sure how well it may fit you goals, but Dragon #330 article about Far Realm included rules for (cosmetic) mutations.
You may get them during magical healing near a Cerebrotic Marrow.
One of possible mutation is "Blinking eye"
So, go to Cerebrotic Marrow, scratch the place where you want an eye, then cast healing spell
Surgical removal of unwanted mutation cause 3d10 damage
Note: by the RAW, appearance aside, mutations don't have any effect

Are there any stories where people use eldritch powers beyond their understanding to remove their physical limits that actually end well?

ShurikVch
2016-12-02, 01:51 PM
Are there any stories where people use eldritch powers beyond their understanding to remove their physical limits that actually end well?I know a scary story...
"Eyes from the space"
http://scarykids.ru/img/b79.gif

Anyway, d20 Apocalypse have Mutated Creature template; one of possible mutations is Gazing eye