PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thoughts on this Duskblade build?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 03:15 PM
Here is a build I was thinking about after reading several forums. I know not OP in anyway but I think in a low OP game this could be fun.

Goliath Fighter Duskblade (+4 Str, +2 Con)

1- Fighter (Weapon Focus- Spiked Shield)(Improved Shield Bash)
2- Fighter (Power Attack)
3- Duskblade (Improved Bull Rush)
4- Duskblade
5- Duskblade
6- Duskblade (Shield Charge)
7- Fighter
8- Fighter (Shield Slam)
9- Duskblade (Battle Caster)
10- Duskblade
11- Duskblade
12- Fighter (Combat Expertise)
13- Fighter (Improved Trip)
14- Duskblade
15- Duskblade (knockback)
16- Duskblade
17- Duskblade
18- Duskblade (?)
19- Duskblade
20- Adjustment Level.

The Idea here is a big hulking brute wielding a very large (see Huge) heavy spiked shield with Bashing in two hands. He Charges and attacks using the channel ability to pump spells through the shield. when he hits on a charge also would have a knockback or trip attempt for some battle field control. if my math is right which it may not be a huge shield with bashing should do 5d6 damage I believe with each attack. plus STR etc.

Allowed books:

PH1 and 2
Completes
DMG1 and 2
MIC
CSC
Race books except dragon

No Homebrew or specific books like faerun or frostburn. Forgot to add this one at first as well, No Unearthed Arcana DM wont allow. I asked :)

Thank you all for your thoughts and discussion.

frogglesmash
2016-12-01, 03:58 PM
FYI, Frostburn is not a book about a specific setting, it's a book about a type of setting i.e. Cold/Nordic settings.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 04:01 PM
Correct, and limiting setting down a type of region is being more specific then a general fantasy setting. is why I grouped it that way. I do apologize for my typo of the word "of" instead of "or" Though. :)

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 04:02 PM
Throw in two levels of Wolf Totem Barbarian and you can get Improved Trip without prerequisites (which you seem to be ignoring right now?). Also, why Weapon Focus?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 04:04 PM
The Weapon Focus was to help negate the -2 that I am getting for using a shield of a size larger then I normally can wield. and oops yep forgot the requisites for improved trip lol will correct that:) thank You,

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 04:06 PM
The Weapon Focus was to help negate the -2 that I am getting for using a shield of a size larger then I normally can wield.

Use Strongarm Bracers or just don't use a larger shield. You're trading -1 attack and a feat for 3.5 average damage?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 04:09 PM
Makes Sense:) I added Unearthed Arcana to the not useable list I forgot earlier and update with the right requisite. Will look into the Bracers for sure then. Any suggestions on which feat to take instead? maybe (Travel Devotion) although this build is made for heavy armor and not a lot of movement speed.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 04:13 PM
I just looked at the bracers. they don't stack with powerful build. I am using a huge shield two handed in this build as the primary weapon. So they wont help negate that -2 penalty.

Aetis
2016-12-01, 04:15 PM
I don't think you can use Shield Slam/Charge and channel at the same time.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 04:17 PM
No I don't think you can either. the idea is to charge in, when possible knocking them prone, back or stunning them. then going into either a full attack or a single attack with a spell channel once your in melee. Was thinking about putting defending on the spikes of the shield as well to up the AC :)

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 04:17 PM
Makes Sense:) I added Unearthed Arcana to the not useable list I forgot earlier and update with the right requisite. Will look into the Bracers for sure then. Any suggestions on which feat to take instead? maybe (Travel Devotion) although this build is made for heavy armor and not a lot of movement speed.

Take Power Attack and Improved Bull Rush earlier and then you can pick up Shock Trooper later for more tripping fun.

Personally, I'd drop Battle Caster and use Mithral Full Plate. That way you can free up a couple Fighter levels and have room for a Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian dip for pounce.

EDIT: My bad with the Powerful Build & Strongarm Bracers but Weapon Focus is still a waste.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 04:20 PM
Taking Shock trooper makes a lot of sense. I am avoiding barbarian and pounce on purpose. So many builds are always use pounce use pounce. Its become like the only way to ever build any melee type ever. I am trying to get around that here. I know its not OPT. but im not going for PUN PUN im going for a fun concept to play :) The idea of a Goliath in heavy armor charging with a massive spiked shield just seems fun to me.

ComaVision
2016-12-01, 04:23 PM
The idea of a Goliath in heavy armor charging with a massive spiked shield just seems fun to me.

It sounds like Barbarian is perfect for that but whatever.

Other ways to get full attacks would be Travel Devotion or Magic of Incarnum (which doesn't seem to be on your list). Cleric dip only loses you one BaB and you can trade a domain for Travel Devotion, as well as some Turn Undead to use it more in a day.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-12-01, 05:28 PM
travel devotion is interesting could add a diety flavor to this build. and I am not disagreeing with you that barbarian would OPT this build better. I am going for flavor over OPT though. and a quick big guy in armor doesn't fit the wall of a large guy with big shield in heavy armor that im going for. Its not that you are wrong you are correct fully. its that the flavor and Roleplaying of the build is outweighing the OPT :)