PDA

View Full Version : What was the most epic thing you've done in combat?

RogueGuy
2016-12-01, 03:57 PM
Me first.

Characters:
Gertrude Ironhammer: Dwarf Fighter (Best Friend)
Faye Lionadel: Drow Ranger (GF)
Leon Silversword: Human Rogue (Me)
Mildred Cottontill: Halfling Cleric (Friend)
Reena Balfaren: Elf Wizard (Cousin)
DM: (Brother)

I was playing in a 5e nautical campaign. We get into a fight with the Devil King Citharous, our BBEG of the week, and he dominates Gertrude and Faye because he has an ability that says this:

"Devilish Charm:
Citharous may charm 2 people of the opposite sex per day. They must succeed on a DC 19 Charisma saving throw or be charmed."

Gertrude, Faye and Citharous surround the rest of us.

Gertrude: "We have you surrounded!"

Faye: "There's nowhere to run! Our master will succeed!"

Leon: "That's where you're wrong."

I look at the DM and say:

Me: "I do a triple backflip over Citharous and stab him in the back."

DM: "Holy sh*t! Make an acrobatics check."

*Rolls dice*

Me: "Natural. Freaking. 20."

DM: "Leon crouches, leaps up off the air, gracefully pulls off 3 backflips in succession, and sticks the landing."

Everybody: "Woah! Nice!"

DM: "Now, make your attack roll."

*Rolls dice*

Me: "Wow. Another 20."

DM: "Leon raises his sword, sticks it in his back, and the Devil King collapses."

Me: "And that, ladies, is how you kill a boss."

Oramac
2016-12-01, 04:22 PM
Running Out of the Abyss on my Tempest Sorcerer. Don't remember exactly what part, but we were 5th level at the time. I was Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorc 3.

Remember that a Tempest Cleric can maximize Lightning/Thunder damage once per rest.

We get to the end of a relatively short dungeon crawl and encounter the BBEG of the place: a Mind Flayer.

Roll Initiative. I think I went second. The guy before me didn't actually attack, as he was dashing to get in melee range.

Me: I cast Chromatic Orb at the Mind Flayer, out of a 3rd level slot.

DM: roll to attack.

Me: Nat 20. He takes 80 Lightning damage.

DM: ****. He's dead. Way to break the whole encounter.

Everyone else: laughing their asses off.

Arkhios
2016-12-01, 04:40 PM
"Sandflea"
A little hit-in-the-head Halfling barbarian/rogue with a big-ass hammer he called "Smush" (a big small legend among his peers. The hammer, not the halfling -- just kidding, both have the questionable honor :D).

We were chasing an airship with another when the group began to plan a dimension door to board the other ship. We were in initiative order, so I count this as combat stunt.

My character being a little impatient heard enough of the plan of being "board the other ship" decided to not wait for the plan details being fully discussed, and instead seized our ship's ballista, and shot at the other ship, riding on top of the big arrow (whatever it's called for ballista?) completely disregarding the over 300 feet drop if the attempt failed - which it didn't! (Even if it had, the maximum falling damage from 20d6 couldn't have killed him!)

The others in the group thought it was the most idiotic thing they had ever seen, but they also knew that my character had had dumb luck before at his side, and also knew he couldn't be persuaded from doing something when he was determined to do it.

For me it was absolutely the most awesome feat I have ever attempted and succeeded in a game!

(FWIW, this was in Pathfinder Society at around level 12, and after the series of "retirement" scenarios - which this one was part of - our characters were bestowed the ranks of "venture captains" - meaning that they would retire from being simple field agents of the Society and become the ones calling the shots for their subordinates.

Anyway. The epic stunt described above could've been accomplished with any rules, so it doesn't matter, does it?)

BillyBobShorton
2016-12-01, 08:33 PM
I killed a goblin once. By accident. I usually play the cart-wagon class. More of a "hang 300 yards back" supporting role guy.

JumboWheat01
2016-12-01, 08:44 PM
I took part in the patented "throw the halfling" attack. Nothing like landing shortsword first on an enemy.

This is why piercing damage is awesome.

furby076
2016-12-01, 10:53 PM
3.5 pathfinder campaign
All the enemies had aberration template
Human Paladin with morphing holy avenger and arm of nyr of weapon storing. The swords natural position was to be stored in arm of nyr (this was a decision so theft is not possible; but the holy avenger could not be summoned in magic suppressed areas).
Human Wizard (alienist)
Druid (focus on shapeshifting)
Half orc barbarian
War forged Scout/rogue
Amry of aberrations, including a few Mindflayers and 2 beholders, and an army of aberrations. Yes, (I said it twice)
High level campaign, with heroic array stats, tons of magic items/perm buffs, and the enemies are very mean, are elite stats, very well trained, and do have a penchant for killing us,

We are in Eberron, in the city of towers.

The beholder has his anti magic cone on my paladin (paladin is biggest damage dealer at this time). This makes all of his magic items non magical, and sends his holy avenger into the arm of nyr. The dm allows me to move the arm around (gift from beings more powerful than a beholder), but thats it. The paladin is on a level by himself with the mind flayer (mind blank is now down). Mind flayer comes in to grapple so he can suck the paladins brain out. The rest of the party are trying to get to the eye tyrant to take him out (different level, 30 feet up...nobody risks flying with beholders floating around...so its all about running up the stairs).

Me: "for my first attack, Can i punch the mind flayer, with the arm of nyr, IN his mouth?"
Dm: "In? roll very well, you have none of your magic bonuses"
Me: "does 18 work"
DM: "sure. Your hand is in his mouth. He takes d4 plus half strength damage. now what about your 2nd and 3rd attack"
Me: "My arm is in his mouth. I grab the back of its tongue and hold on"
DM "hold on....what?"
ME: "come on, metal hand and i have improved grapple. Im still stronger than him....so he can be my mobile shield with my 3rd attack"
DM: "you know what, sure. On his turn he is gonna suck your brain out anyhow. Its you vs the mindflayer solo. Roll very well to grapple"
ME: "does another 18 work?"
DM: "he cant beat that even with a 20. The mind flayers eyes widen in shock. In its hundreds of years of evil, he has never experienced someone trying to shove body parts into his mouth. Then, a grin....or what you might think would be a grin, from a creature with tentacles coming from its mouth that has your hand in it....comes on his face. Next initiative "
Barbarian : "do we get to the beholder?"
DM "how many rounds was it since you started to run to him?"
Barbarian "3"
DM "you reached him, he doesnt see you as he is focusing on the paladin"
Barbarian : "i start hacking at the beholder from behind with my meteoric sword....with all of my attacks".
DM: "they all land for some hefty damage. 108? The beholder is very much still alive. The paladin will soon be lawful stupid"
Wizard : "the paladin is already lawful stupid. The mind flayer is gonna get some empty calories. Now my turn. Oh paladin, never say that i havent saved your life. Wall of stone between the beholder and the paladin"
DM: "ok. Paladin, all of your magical and super natural abilities come back"
ME: "all of them?"
DM: "dude, you've been playing dnd for like 20 something years..yes all of....awww ****"
Holy avenger screams "LET ME THE F OUTTA HERE"...assume the form of a spear.....while in the mouth of the mind flayer
ME: "that smells is not gonna get out for a while will it?"

Lawful Good
2016-12-01, 10:59 PM
It was one of my first real sessions of D&D. I was in a group of about 5 players. I was playing a level 3 Half-Elf Rogue, who also happened to be a wererat. We had come across a village that was on fire in the middle of the night. It was being caused by a group of zombies in the village who were all controlled by an undead beholder. We go up to the zombie beholder and combat begins. First turn: Everyone pretty much hacks at the zombie beholder's two zombie ogre bodyguards. On my turn, I decide to be creative.

I tell the DM I want to run up the side of the zombie ogre (I was in rat form), shift into hybrid, and spring off it's head onto the beholder floating above it.
Obviously, this will take a couple of turns. On that turn, I roll acrobatics to run up. I roll really high and I'm on it.

The ogre gets annoyed and swings at the party with his morningstar. By luck, the whole group is lined up next to each other. My best friend, a druid who minmaxed the crap out of his character, was at the end. Everyone rolls dexterity to avoid getting knocked over. First one: Success. Second one: Success. Third one: Success. My druid friend: Natural 1. He gets knocked twenty feet back and is knocked unconscious. The player does a table flip and leaves for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, my turn. I shift into hybrid form while jumping and sink my claws into the beholder with a natural 20 on my acrobatics. I climb up, scramble to the eye of the monster, and on my next turn shove my shortsword up to the hilt in it's eye.

It starts to fall. I roll acrobatics and do a flip neatly onto the ground.:smallcool:

I have another one I might post later.

Taejang
2016-12-02, 04:51 AM
As a DM, my players do crazy things. Hands down, most epic thing they ever did:
They once befriended a group of dragons, then rode them in a night assault on a major Red Wizard fortress. They leaped off the dragons midflight, landed with Feather Fall, stormed the BBEG's central tower, slaughtered him with almost every ability they had, then escaped off the back castle wall (with Feather Fall again) before the rest of the fort's garrison could figure out what was going on and catch up to them. I should mention, this fort was supposed to take several game sessions, had seven layers of maps, and was absolutely brutal to take on in an assault. They rushed through it like a spec ops team on vacation in Hawaii.

Other epic things of note:
One player used Phatasmal Force to make an orog believe his buddy was actually the most attractive female orog ever. Shenanigans ensued.

One player threw a Javelin of Lightning into the side of a dragon, then ran and jumped onto said dragon, using the protruding javelin as a handhold. He rode the dragon through some aerial corkscrews, and when the dragon dropped from 80 feet up to land on the character, he survived (half-orc Relentless Endurance) and just crawled out from underneath, cracking jokes about "big dragon fall like dumb rock."

One player routinely uses her katars to scale large enemy monsters, skewer them in the head with critical 20 attack rolls, and ride the body to the ground. Routinely, as in three or four times in the last six game sessions.

coalmaine
2016-12-02, 05:54 AM
Hi Everybody

Was my 2nd character ever.

A Level 1 Wizard. (Half-Elf disguised as human Charlatan)

So long story short we (lvl 1 monk, lvl 2 wizard and me ) scale a cliff face to reach the boss of a goblin lair. Turns out it was trapped with poison spikes.

Anywho we crack on and attempt to take down this armour plated caster as he flies around and attempts to charm us all (thank god for fey ancestry).

I'm out of slots and he is ready to pounce I scramble to the cliff edge grab our rope and pretend to escape as he closes I bluff a surrender to get close then. I loop it around his neck and jumped off he is caught completely off guard and is pulled off the edge and slams in to the cliff wall guess what part...

Needless to say I fail the strength save to hold on after that maneuver and fall to the bottom unconscious.

Party finish him off and I wake to the kiss of life from an ancient goblin medicine woman...

Steampunkette
2016-12-02, 06:20 AM
The DM had clockwork towers with four large metal legs and a "Destroying the Countryside" laser mounted in a lighthouse style room on the top. These things were destroyer constructs built by an ancient Giant God-King during his war against the Dragons. A war he won. Once he conquered the world, the God-King turned to other planes of existence and using incredible magic turned the continent he was on into an inter-planar vessel that allowed him to take the full might of his army across a dozen different worlds to conquer them.

At some point, a rebellion rose up on the continent to stop him and the continent was set to drift through the planes, appearing on different worlds, at extended but random intervals before it finally made it back to it's original home, our world.

I was playing a Wild Mage Sorcerer in the campaign when one of the friendly NPCs in the settlement we created on the continent after it appeared (The core conceit of the campaign) had a Macguffin that caused one of the towers to activate for the first time in centuries and chase his ass down. When we finally caught up with him, we were -supposed- to get him out of there with skill checks and guile.

But we were PCs. So we decided to kill the God-King's magic clockwork tower that worked with other magic clockwork towers to literally dominate entire planets across the planes.

On a complete fluke, I managed to get close enough to the tower to cast Thunderwave. It rolled a 1 on its saving throw and had already used it's legendary resistances on other effects. The tower was pushed and fell over. We immediately climbed inside of it and destroyed it from within.

In the same campaign, but later on, we were fighting Pirates in the massive floating carcass of an ancient beast picked up by the continent during a trip to the Elemental Plane of Water. The pirates used the floating "Island" as a place to stash their ill-gotten gains and some of the people of our community that they kidnapped. While fighting them from the shore, my character snuck up inside one of their ships using Alter Self for a swim and climb speed, then detonated the gunpowder stores while the pirates were fighting on the deck.

We still had to fight through multiple other pirate crews to get to safety, but it was worth it.

DiceDiceBaby
2016-12-02, 06:47 AM
Level 2 Bard here once practically soloed an encounter with an Awakened Tree (CR 2) by spamming Vicious Mockery with a series of tree related puns for that no-good-son-of-a-birch-tree.

The enemy was literally insulted to death, unable to hit because he kept failing his WIS Saving Throws and thus was forced to roll at Disadvantage against my AC (19 CHA and 18 DEX at level 2; lucky stat rolls!).

The rest of the party and the DMPCs were busy making Death Saving Throws that they were just barely passing because of Bardic Inspiration. Survived with just 3 HP remaining, otherwise we would have wiped.

Got some 500 GP for that encounter as a reward, and since everyone was unconcious, I didn't need to share, but shared with them when they recovered anyway. Already felt like a hero. :smallsmile:

Sir cryosin
2016-12-02, 08:40 AM
This was epic in my character eyes.

Party is me pistol and shield gunslinger fighter human
Goliath storm sorcerer
Tiefling assassin rouge

So we settle down and make camp. Not long into the night we get ambushed by a group of Bandits. The were 10 of them we were lv 3 by The way. So there spread out and they're far enough back where it would take a couple of turns to get up to them. So me and the sorcerer who is a little more melee Focus. Start run to different sides. He took the right and I took the left. The sorcerer started having trouble so the Rogue still back still backed by the camp started helping him out by shooting her short go over at the ones on his side. While I had no problem taking care of mine on my side. Now the guys were not in the sorcerer's favor and by the time I got through almost all my enemies that I started turning on the road and she was rolling pretty badly. So I ended up finishing off all of my targets and I see that the sorcerer is really close to going down so I start booking it over towards him taking the dash action it was going to take me four rounds to get to him. On my last round to get up to him he got hit and went down and he was about to get shot some more but luckily it was my turn. So I go running I slide in right next to him take my shield and slamming the ground as I slide right and right into him pull out my medkit because I have the Healer feet and healed him and got him back up and then ended up finishing off the rest of the bandits by myself.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-02, 12:21 PM
My party (~level 4) was traveling through the woods and ran into a bunch of werewolf bandits. There was some tense back-and-forth and then, seeing as how no-one had any silver weapons, we cut and run. On my first round of the rout, starting face-to-face with the bandit leader, my Monk palms a bunch of silver pieces, sweeps his legs out from under him and punches him right in the face using the coins as makeshift spiked knuckles. Then I join everyone else (thanks, Mobility!) easily catching up to the rest of the group.

Until the Warlock gets caught.

The Warlock who saved my character a few sessions ago, in what was (I decided) the first really good thing anyone had ever done for my poor street urchin.

I reverse course, slide under a slavering werewolf and scoop up the Warlock's now-dying body. Bonus-action Disengage, and I vault over a werewolf and start running for freedom. Slightly slowed by carrying my friend, but still, you know, Monk. I start catching up to the Cleric. Which, of course, is when the Wizard decides to shoot down a tree to block the path. He fires some magic missiles off to the side, rolls well, and BOOM, giant tree right in my way. If I try to detour around it, the wolves will get me.

But **** it, I'm a Monk. Athletics check. Roll a 21. I hit the tree without slowing down, run straight up a branch that should not in any way have supported my weight, drop down the other side, and pull up next to the Cleric with my friend about one save away from dying.

MBControl
2016-12-03, 01:01 PM
Not sure that it's that epic, but it's my favorite combat moment.

I climbed a Gorgon mid battle and rode it while stabbing my dagger and short sword into it's back. My character was really drunk at the time, and had to roll a ton of DEX checks at disadvantage, just to stay on. I somehow "drunken mastered" my way into staying on, dealing the killing blow, and sliding down it's collapsing body, and landing superhero style on the ground.

I was playing him super reckless as my drunken character would have, and just kept rolling great. My DM couldn't believe I was getting away with it, and the better I rolled, the more crazy stuff I tried.

A crazy fun combat, really stressful, but very memorable.

SmokingSkull
2016-12-04, 12:58 PM
Our party was in the ruins of a city in the Underdark when we're set upon by demons. The Glabrezu summoned some friends and ran away, leaving us to confront several Chasme and Vrock. At that time my Fighter/Barb didn't have a magic weapon so nothing I did damage wise really hurt them. This was when I had an idea: I would activate my Ring of Jumping (I had Raged the previous turn) leap into the air and knock one of the lower flying Vrock prone with my pike, and yes it worked. I would put the pike away and proceed to grapple said Vrock for several rounds which included dragging and headbutting the fiend, repeatedly.

Every time it tried to escape it failed, one player was amused at the mental image of a raging Goliath wrestling this hideous creature to the ground. The demon met its demise at the rib shattering knee kick my Goliath Fighter/Barb delivered with prejudice. Our group would emerge victorious, unfortunately our Paladin fell to the demons but we brought him back eventually. I should also mention we were level 8 (6F/2B for me) when this happened.

Finback
2016-12-04, 11:35 PM
4e, my team is battling four massive chain golems (you may have seen the mini before). As each floor collapses, the chain golems flow through to the next as long extended chains before reforming.My warforged knight was rushing down the stairs from the upper level, when he sees one.

Ward-358: I leap off the stairs onto the shoulders of the closest chain golem.
DM: OK, roll Athletics, we'll count it as your move.
W: *succeeds easily enough*
W: I want to make a basic attack *without* my warhammer. I'll explain what I do if I hit?
DM: Sure.
W: rolls a pretty good hit
W: I punch my fist right into the "head" section of the golem.
DM: ... okay....
W: I ACTIVATE MY MAGNETIC PLATE ARMOUR, BUT REVERSE THE FIELD
DM:....... what?
*show the table that the magnetic plate armour is designed to pull any metal-wearing foes to me*
W: So basically, I just inverted it to repel metal items.
DM: .... including the chains.
DM: RULE OF COOL APPLIES!

And that's how I headshotted a huge enemy with my fist.

(I have always been an advocate of Rule of Cool in my games)