PDA

View Full Version : This original character concept needs your help :)

Zhepna
2016-12-01, 04:41 PM
Hi,

We play 3.5 and I have a character concept that I would like to try but I have a hard time figuring out how to make it works.

He sees the world differently but doesn’t realize that all the differences come from his mind and are illusions.
At low level, it’s all in his head and it’s mainly roleplay , speaking with an imaginary friend (could be Unseen Servant) and see things that aren’t there.

At higher level, I would like the craziness to expand outside of him. Maybe have a aura of 5 feets around him and objects starts to speak and move, like Animate Objects but he doesn’t control them. Those objects could have personalities and it could be interesting to roleplay. Sometime they are friendly, something it's not the case. Could be hilarious with magic items we always keep.

It could be cool if the reality could be altered in those 5 feets but nothing that he control, only for the flavor. Maybe clothes change of color while in this aura or other things I can’t things about at the moment.

He could starts to cast illusionary spells but he doesn’t know that he cast them. I could make a giant chart with subjects and roll to know what appear with the illusion or just cast illusions that he thinks the world is created this way but he creats his reality.

Since he’s not aware that it’s from him and always see illusions, his brains accept them as facts more easily and could have save -4 again illusions.

I saw that Shadowcraft Mage make illusions real and that’s exactly what I want, even if the illusions will be random, according the the world he sees in his head, but I wonder if you have ideas how bring this idea to work.
I don’t really know how I’ll fight but I would like to play the concept.

Thanks in advance for your help and have a nice day.

barakaka
2016-12-02, 12:16 AM
If you haven't already, you should check out the ShadowcraftMage Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16433.0). You should also understand that there's a build that lets you make illusory spells that have a greater effect if someone disbelieves them. It uses a number of ways to boost the % of effectiveness of the illusory spell when they disbelieve it. Normally that would mean that your spell is marginally more effective when disbelieved, but there's enough ways that you can get over 100%.

This means your spells are more reality than the reality your fictional character is in.

danielxcutter
2016-12-02, 01:33 AM
If you haven't already, you should check out the ShadowcraftMage Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16433.0). You should also understand that there's a build that lets you make illusory spells that have a greater effect if someone disbelieves them. It uses a number of ways to boost the % of effectiveness of the illusory spell when they disbelieve it. Normally that would mean that your spell is marginally more effective when disbelieved, but there's enough ways that you can get over 100%.

This means your spells are more reality than the reality your fictional character is in.

Seconding the Shadowcraft Mage - it's very focused on illusions, and even if you don't indulge in cheese, it ranges from "flexible" to "ridiculously powerful" depending on the degree of optimization.

Falcon X
2016-12-02, 09:51 AM
I'll third Shadowcraft Mage.

Put a Beguiler base on it. Beguiler has all sorts of things to increase illusions.
I once made a high-level Beguiler NPC who never knew he was a mage. He naturally used Silent Spell, Still Spell, and other things a beguiler gets. He just thought he had the charisma of the gods.

Vogie
2016-12-02, 11:24 AM
If you want to backpedal in some Pathfinder (advanced players guide), 1 level of Oracle will give the Haunted curse:

Malevolent spirits follow you wherever you go, causing minor mishaps and strange occurrences (such as unexpected breezes, small objects moving on their own, and faint noises). Retrieving any stored item from your gear requires a standard action, unless it would normally take longer. Any item you drop lands 10 feet away from you in a random direction. Add mage hand and ghost sound to your list of spells known

That would give them more reality warping fluff, as well as other tools in addition to the unseen servant. You could either give them the curse as part of a pseduocustom class, or build out a progression that includes 1 level of oracle (so they get the rest of the oracle mechanics, such as the Awesome Display ability from the Heavens Revelation (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advancedPlayersGuide/baseClasses/oracle.html)).

Edit: On Further reflection the Ancestral Weapon from the Ancestor revelation (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spellcastingClassOptions/oracle.html) would be really interesting in this situation, as the player could simply make simple or martial weapons appear in hand, and disappear when he drops them, or after a minute, adding to the reality warping aspect.

"Where'd you get that mace?" 'It was lying on the table' "No, it wasn't!" 'Oh'

Cirtona Pox
2016-12-02, 09:08 PM
You could make him any class with one or two "hidden" levels of sorcerer. The hidden levels are just there for spells that the DM puts in there for window dressing but later in the campaign you find out the truth (or not).

Your character suffers from the illusion save penalty but in exchange receives an offset like:
No penalty when spending skill points in sorcerer class skills.
Blindsense (since some of his hallucinations may be strictly auditory he can zoom in on a sound's source more easily)
The penalty could become a bonus after you learn the truth because he starts to disbelieve everything.