PDA

View Full Version : Incarnate Soulknife (advice requested)

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-15, 07:13 AM
I am going to be running a game that heavily uses Magic of Incarnum, both mechanics-wise and plot-wise, but I have a player that wants to play a soulknife. I don't really want psionics in the game, and I have also heard that Soulknife is quite underpowered. To that end, I need to modify Soulknife to make it both more effective and more in keeping with a Magic of Incarnum flavor as opposed to a Psionics flavor. So really I have two questions:

1)What changes should be made to Soulknife to make it more viable as a class?

2)What changes can be made to Soulknife to make it more of a Incarnum-flavored class?

Artemician
2007-07-15, 08:02 AM
Well, I would advise making it into a prestige class, like that (other) PrC in Magic of Incarnum. Except better.

Grant them the ability to shape a custom "Soul Blade" soulmeld, with enhancement bonus based off essentia invested.

At later levels, let them do more things with the Soul Blade. Like, at level 4, they gain

That's basically how i see it as going, anyway. I've always though it strange that the Soulknife is a Psionic class.

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-28, 07:57 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I moved this here from Homebrew because I think the OP will get more help here.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-28, 08:08 PM
Thanks. However, I have addressed this question by posting a homebrew souknife. If you want to look at/make suggestions/fun of said homebrew, here is a link: Link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50944)

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-07-28, 09:34 PM
Well, what I would do is take the soulknife, remove the Psychic Strike feature, and "meld" it with the Incarnum Blade Prestige class (no pun intended :smallsmile:)Since the Incarnum Blade is only 5 levels, you may want to scale the power of the Blademelds accordingly.

Also, some of the ability changes that I can think of off the top of my head:

1: Remove Psychic Strike and replace with expanded Blademeld features
2: Remove "Wild Talent" and have it be 1 point of Essentia instead. However, it can only be used to create the Blademeld; and follows the normal procedure for meldshaping.
3: Keep the same BAB and saves. Giving this character a full BAB would be overpowering.
4: Adjust the "Mind Blade Enhancement" with non-Psionic abilities; such as the Elemental enhancements, Ghost Touch, Incarnum weapon enhancements, etc. I would keep collision though, that is a really nice bonus.

EDIT: I Swear unto thee that I did not click that link before I posted this! Perhaps I should have... Any thoughts though?