PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Control body?

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-01, 10:47 PM
Can you use control body on your self.
(Expanded psionic handbook pg86)

if so then you could have your int to ac, attack, and damage correct. I ask this because currently I'm building an Intelligence build and this will answer if i go Psionic or not.

thank you in advance

Troacctid
2016-12-01, 11:00 PM
Yes. Good combo with Solicit Psicrystal. Have your psicrystal take over controlling your body while you remain free to use your actions to manifest powers.

However, it is probably more efficient to use it on an enemy. They still use your Int, but you're also taking them out of the fight at the same time. If you just want Int to attack and damage, Control Object does approximately the same thing cheaper.

frogglesmash
2016-12-01, 11:05 PM
You can, but using it like that in melee is problematic because every time you get hit you'd need to make a Concentration check to maintain the power, in addition you'd be unable to manifest any other powers as you'd be maintaining concentration on Control Body. A workaround for this is to Solicit Psicrystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/solicitPsicrystal.htm) to maintain the spell, this simultaneously prevents you from having to maintain the spell, or Make Concentration checks when you get hit, effectively giving you a set of physical actions, and a seperate set of mental actions every round, all the while using your Int bonus for Attacks and AC.

EDIT: Ninjas everywhere.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-02, 02:23 AM
well what if I cast Sonorous Hum from savage species, spells and powers are the same, Would it work?

frogglesmash
2016-12-02, 04:00 AM
well what if I cast Sonorous Hum from savage species, spells and powers are the same, Would it work?

As far as I can tell it would work, but solicit psicrystal does the same thing for less investment.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-02, 09:02 AM
As far as I can tell it would work, but solicit psicrystal does the same thing for less investment.

well it really isn't out of the way for the build

the build being: factotum/Psion (kenetisist)5, Chameleon/ Bladesinger2

taking a feat would be out of the way

Psyren
2016-12-02, 10:05 AM
Note that you lose your ability to make AoOs while doing this. For a gish this can be a pretty big drawback.

Also, be aware that some GMs will rule you lose your Dex bonus to AC, even though you get Int to AC instead. The wording is weird and can result in some things being triggered against you.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-02, 01:18 PM
Note that you lose your ability to make AoOs while doing this. For a gish this can be a pretty big drawback.

Also, be aware that some GMs will rule you lose your Dex bonus to AC, even though you get Int to AC instead. The wording is weird and can result in some things being triggered against you.

I Will take this into deep considertion. As for now, what type of background would I go for.

Psyren
2016-12-02, 01:22 PM
I Will take this into deep considertion. As for now, what type of background would I go for.

What do you mean by "background?" Character concept? Class levels? Race? Setting?

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-02, 03:57 PM
What do you mean by "background?" Character concept? Class levels? Race? Setting?

Character concept

Troacctid
2016-12-02, 03:59 PM
well it really isn't out of the way for the build

the build being: factotum/Psion (kenetisist)5, Chameleon/ Bladesinger2

taking a feat would be out of the way
Solicit Psicrystal is a psionic power, not a feat.

Also, 5th level psions can't manifest 4th level powers.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-02, 04:44 PM
Solicit Psicrystal is a psionic power, not a feat.

Also, 5th level psions can't manifest 4th level powers.

ah yes but a 7th lvl one could

Psyren
2016-12-02, 04:46 PM
Character concept

Have you seen Doctor Strange? There's a character who basically does this.

Troacctid
2016-12-02, 04:58 PM
ah yes but a 7th lvl one could
Oh, sure, it's just that you wrote "Psion (kineticist) 5" in your build stub, which wouldn't give you access to control body.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-02, 09:20 PM
Oh, sure, it's just that you wrote "Psion (kineticist) 5" in your build stub, which wouldn't give you access to control body.

oh yes but my prestige class and classes stack, I'm sorry I did not mention this.

Have you seen Doctor Strange? There's a character who basically does this.

Doctor strange seems more like a GOD Wizard with all the spells he can cast