PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Chaotic Adventure

Moralh
2016-12-02, 03:09 PM
Hello people of this forum, I am new here, although I've read a lot from some time now.

Why am I here now ? Well, I'm currently running a campaign for 3 player, with d&d 5e. And it's a sandbox campaign meaning they can do what they want, with a story unfolding in front of them (mostly, if they're there when events kick in) I like to give a lot of freedom to my players, because it brings a lot of fun out of every moment I think.

BUT, and there's a but, my players are all the panel of chaos.
One player is a Tiefling Draconic Sorcerer who's Chaotic Evil and a criminal, there's a Human Warlock praying to Old Gods who's Chaotic Neutral, and the last one is a Dragonborn Totemic Barbarian who's basically a shaman, whose Chaotic Good.

And what I'm looking for here is advice on how to try to avoid conflict. Because conflict can arise, one player nearly killing another one at some point for robbing a tomb. While still maintaining each player freedom of choice. As it's really important for me.

A thank you for every answer !

JellyPooga
2016-12-02, 03:15 PM
Simple. Before you start playing, tell your players that you don't want any PvP...arguments can be fun, even IC confrontation, but outright attacking one another is out. The PCs are supposed to be in this together, for whatever reason. Clashing personalities are fine; look at Sturm vs. Tasselhoff of Dragonlance fame, but remind them that they're supposed to be a team if things start getting heated.

Also, ban the phrase "But it's what'my character would do!"...it's just an excuse for being a douche.

Moralh
2016-12-02, 03:33 PM
Simple. Before you start playing, tell your players that you don't want any PvP...arguments can be fun, even IC confrontation, but outright attacking one another is out. The PCs are supposed to be in this together, for whatever reason. Clashing personalities are fine; look at Sturm vs. Tasselhoff of Dragonlance fame, but remind them that they're supposed to be a team if things start getting heated.

Also, ban the phrase "But it's what'my character would do!"...it's just an excuse for being a douche.

That's a fair point, I still feel like it's kind of taking away some of the personality of their character, but you gotta take some things away to bring out the fun I guess.
Thank you.

Mandragola
2016-12-02, 03:49 PM
I always think that option 1 is to talk to the players. There's a balance between player freedom and players sabotaging the game for everyone else.

I'd seriously want to understand why these guys are going around together. On the face of it, they seem likely to hate each other. Ask the players why they don't - or why they work together despite hating each other.

A common goal is often the answer. If there's a lawful evil society that has hurt all of them in some way, they might be motivated to work together to bring it down, for instance. Then have them agree in character how they will work together. Let them set their own rules, rather than imposing your own on them. If the good guy doesn't want the evil guy to murder people and rob them he should say that this is a condition of them working together.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-02, 04:18 PM
Tell them it's a cooperative game and if they are not going to have a cooperative character. Then they might want to fine a different game. Tell them they should come up with a reason why they keep adventuring together.

Moralh
2016-12-02, 05:09 PM
I always think that option 1 is to talk to the players. There's a balance between player freedom and players sabotaging the game for everyone else.

I'd seriously want to understand why these guys are going around together. On the face of it, they seem likely to hate each other. Ask the players why they don't - or why they work together despite hating each other.

A common goal is often the answer. If there's a lawful evil society that has hurt all of them in some way, they might be motivated to work together to bring it down, for instance. Then have them agree in character how they will work together. Let them set their own rules, rather than imposing your own on them. If the good guy doesn't want the evil guy to murder people and rob them he should say that this is a condition of them working together.

I think you hit the nail on the head here, I do think they lack a real common goal, the gist is they shipwrecked together somewhere they don't know so they stick together for better chances of survival despite not agreeing most of the time, they travel for different reason, each of them having a personal quest to fulfil, and that must be a real problem.
But I can't just step in and say, your character doesn't think that anymore, albeit it would help, it seems like a harsh thing to do in my opinion.
I will try and have them agree on some better reason for them working together, as it seems the better solution to that.