PDA

View Full Version : Should HBO bring sci fi to the mainstream?

CmdrShep2183
2016-12-02, 03:25 PM
Game of Thrones has done amazing things for genre TV!

Should HBO do the same thing with space faring sci fi after they are done with GOT?

Can HBO or Netflix make a high quality space series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCMgLJ5KqE

GOT doesn't have fictional races like elves or orcs. There are the white walkers though. Would a space series that breaks into the mainstream not have any humanoid aliens?

Lethologica
2016-12-02, 03:38 PM
Points for focus, I guess. Points off for lack of vision, though. Someone forgot to program knowledge of Westworld and Arrival into our friendly neighborhood SF/F bot.

Eldan
2016-12-02, 03:43 PM
Is that teh first time it's explicitely posting an ad video?

Razade
2016-12-03, 04:34 AM
Is that teh first time it's explicitely posting an ad video?

It is not, it posted a "review" of a book and then asked everyone to one star it. It truly is a weird bot. But to it's point, isn't Westworld Sci-Fi and isn't it mainstream?

Narkis
2016-12-03, 05:28 AM
He's actually responded in a thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21417995&postcount=5

Maybe it's Skynet practicing for its Turing test?

Kitten Champion
2016-12-03, 05:47 AM
He's actually responded in a thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21417995&postcount=5

Maybe it's Skynet practicing for its Turing test?

I believe it was Fri who pointed out that CmdrShep2183 repeats these exact same OPs under slightly different names in various forums. That, along with repeating slight variants on the same topic here.

There's also one which is just "Watch the first episode here" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?462365-Watch-the-first-episode-here!) that leads to an inactive youtube video of some sort that seem pretty bot-like to me.

It's insipid, whatever it is. Trying to nettle nerds on one hand while being awfully condescending to everyone else on the other, it's ideal material to get a rise out of people on these forums in a way that doesn't require overt politics.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-03, 06:14 AM
It's insipid, whatever it is. Trying to nettle nerds on one hand while being awfully condescending to everyone else on the other, it's ideal material to get a rise out of people on these forums in a way that doesn't require overt politics.

I dunno, it's provoked some interesting discussions along the way. This topic is dumb, sure, but not all of them have been.

I wonder who CmdrShep is working for...?

Zalabim
2016-12-03, 06:58 AM
I don't know. This thread seems to be about speculating about the true identify and purpose of the robot(s) among us. That has some potential. Very sci-fi, too. You could probably find a show about this.

Anonymouswizard
2016-12-03, 08:11 AM
I don't know. This thread seems to be about speculating about the true identify and purpose of the robot(s) among us. That has some potential. Very sci-fi, too. You could probably find a show about this.

That gives me an idea for a novel (although I've already got one in the works, idea for a sequel?)

Although I do think the thread title touches on a decent topic, should hard science fiction become more mainstream? (using the 'scientifically plausible at the time' definition, so I can include Asimov's Robot stories) Because I see a tend towards mainstream science fiction being harder (not Interstellar, but The Martian is a decent example and Altered Carbon is getting a Netflix series, which I consider to be fairly hard), although not to the point I might like. I see hard science fiction as a good way to get more people interested in science, I don't want another Star Trek where technology exists to enable the plot, but more mainstream stuff the technology actually has an effect on how the story plays out (as resurrection and augmented reality do in my planned novel).

Peelee
2016-12-03, 10:06 AM
I dunno, it's provoked some interesting discussions along the way. This topic is dumb, sure, but not all of them have been.

General Ram, obviously.

Lethologica
2016-12-03, 12:41 PM
It's working for the Illusive Man, i.e. a robot masquerading as human through the use of illusions.

Dilvish
2016-12-03, 05:54 PM

Perhaps a large media company?

The Glyphstone
2016-12-03, 06:16 PM
Remember that these threads stay open despite being posted by a bot because they tend to provoke genuine discussion and debate. If they descend just into discussion about the bot being a bot, there's no merit in keeping them or it around.

Dilvish
2016-12-03, 06:37 PM
Space-faring sci-fi has already been brought to mainstream audiences. HBO or Netflix would merely be making other shows in the genre. Sure, they could make high quality space-faring shows.

KorvinStarmast
2016-12-05, 10:51 AM
Game of Thrones has done amazing things for genre TV!

Should HBO do the same thing with space faring sci fi after they are done with GOT? HBO is doing SF in terms of futuristic speculative fiction based on science, and in this case a nod to Asimov's laws of robotics, sentience, consciousness, and AI in general. Quite a few nods to role playing game tropes as well.

It's' called Westworld, and it is most excellent.

It isn't space opera, nor spacefaring travel to far worlds, but it's good SF.