PDA

View Full Version : Best utility/blaster (electricity)? (Kineticist, magus, arcanist or wizard)

D4rkh0rus
2016-12-02, 08:48 PM
I'm wondering who would be a better blaster while retaining utility? By electric blaster I mean using mostly electric spells/abilities to deal damage, by utility, I mean having the ability to bypass stuff.

Kineticist deals less damage than the other two per round, but it's at will, and at higher level, he can kinetic blade for multiple attacks...
Since it's going to be wind (and probably aether at lvl 7) its bound to have decent utility, if a bit pigeonholed...

The magus, arcanist and wizard are all taking a dip in blood havoc crossblooded Orc/dragon sorcerer for +3 damage per die on (electric) spells.
Spells are the epitome of utility, but unlike the Kineticist, they're limited each day.

The magus has the ability to melee and higher crit chance due to 18-20 (15-20) weapons with spell strike. They also have hexes.

The arcanist has the versatility of being almost anything, also it can take the exploit to get the rest of the bloodline stuff from the sorcerer dip.

The wizard has best spell progression of the three, and has some versatility as well. It can also take academies graduate (thinking of doing a minor bit in summoning as well).

What do you guys think? (Please give some reasoning)

AzureDidact
2016-12-03, 01:17 AM
Kineticist has (by far) the most endurance out of all of these.

You can literally fire off volleys all day without worrying about running dry. It also gets a huge power spike at 10 due to the Maximize Spell like ability. Depending on the kind of game being played, though, you may want to tend more towards Wizard for more flexibility.

Honestly, though, if you're toying with the idea of blasting and conjuring...I'd recommend the Occultist Arcanist. You still get the endurance of the sorcerer with the sheer spells known of a Wizard, and now you get the main class feature of the Summoner for free.

I once leveled twice in a single dungeon without resting by feeding my spell slots into summons. It's...monstrous. :smallbiggrin:

exelsisxax
2016-12-03, 06:59 PM
Kineticists don't have meaningful utility. A magus has the best damage by far but comes with a lot of limitations, lower spell levels, and lacks much utility. Arcanists and wizards are indisputably the greatest utility in that list, and can blast as good as a kineticist(as long as spells last at least).

digiman619
2016-12-04, 05:32 AM
Just going to drop this link here... (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/destruction)

Kurald Galain
2016-12-04, 05:51 AM
The Magus is best at single-target damage, due to his spellstrike and spell combat abilities. The wizard is best at area effect damage, due to getting the higher level spells soonest, and by using the evocation school boost (arcanist is close to wizard, of course). The kinny is not even close.

The wizard is best at utility; the arcanist is close but gets his higher level spells a bit later. The Magus can access the wizard list at need, and is probably the best utility class other than full casters. Again, the kinny is not even close.

And in terms of endurance... it's actually a four-way tie. Why is that? Well, suppose you get twelve rounds of combat per day (which is a reasonable estimate) then there's no practical difference between having an ability usable 12 times per day, and having an ability at will. Turns out a fifth-level wizard can easily reach this level (and at lower level, infinite-use cantrips are still relevant).

TLDR,

Single-target damage, Magus > Wizard = Arcanist >> Kinny.
Area damage, Wizard > Arcanist > Magus >>> Kinny.
Utility, Wizard = Arcanist > Magus, and kinny is not even on the scale.
Endurance, all of them can do this all day.