PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Triton Barbarian - Gladiator of the Sea

Draco4472
2016-12-02, 08:57 PM
Upon looking at my copy of Volo's, I saw Tritons get +1 to Strength, Constitution, and Charisma. This screams barbarian to me, among other things. The 'Gladiator' part of the title came from the thought of this character using a trident and net, which thematically makes sense to be the weapons of a fish person, and was a traditional fighting style among many roman gladiators.

Thoughts on this build? And what archetypes I should take if I play it, perhaps re-flavoring certain animal totems as dolphin instead?

PloxBox
2016-12-02, 10:44 PM
Don't forget the new unearthed arcana for barbarians. I can't remember the name of the archetype off the top of my head, but there was one centered around strength through storms. Could fit thematically.

Otherwise, if you go for totem, iirc the phb states you can change the animal to better fit your character thematically.

Finback
2016-12-06, 10:34 PM
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_Barbarian.pdf - Path of the Storm Herald. Personally, I think this is the best of the three new paths, and on top of that, I think the Sea option (rather than Desert or Tundra) is the best of that path - and it's entirely thematic for a triton barbarian.