PDA

View Full Version : Discord or Google Hangout

Meanlucario
2016-12-02, 09:13 PM
Me and my friends are playing D&D online, and I wanted to know if Hangouts or Discord was better for online communication.

othaero
2016-12-02, 10:33 PM
I use discord and its not to hard to use. But i dont have any experience with so i cant give you a comparison

Knaight
2016-12-02, 11:05 PM
Google Hangouts with the Roll20 plugin is probably the best option presented. With that said, I still favor Skype + Maptools.

Baelon
2016-12-03, 01:29 PM
My group and I use Discord. We used to do Skype, but that stopped being an option at one point. Discord is largely okay.

It can be a bit unreliable sometimes depending on internet speeds and other stuff that I don't entirely understand, though. Plus robot voice sometimes becoming a thing. And people mysteriously losing audibility at random points. With the browser version, occasionally you'll have to refresh the page a few times on longer sessions. I've heard better things about the app, but I don't have a smart phone so I wouldn't know personally.

But when it works, it works well enough. It's also pretty intuitive, I think.

Overall, I'd say it's not your worst option for the audio portion of online DnD. It's at least par with Skype or Raidcall for the purpose.

SirBellias
2016-12-03, 03:33 PM
I have tried Google Hangouts, and it was much harder to get functional than we would have liked. At this point we use Skype and Roll20. I do use Discord, but only as a management tool for our club, so we haven't tested the voice chat portion of it yet.

Mothman
2016-12-03, 05:45 PM
My group prefers to use discord, its worked well for us. Another thing you can do with discord is download a few bots for you voice chat server, a dice roller bot or a music bot to get more music that roll20 doesn't offer.

PersonMan
2016-12-03, 05:53 PM
I've heard better things about the app, but I don't have a smart phone so I wouldn't know personally.

The Discord application isn't a phone thing; there's a mobile version, but you can install Discord as its own program on your PC.

Baelon
2016-12-03, 06:17 PM
The Discord application isn't a phone thing; there's a mobile version, but you can install Discord as its own program on your PC.

Really? Hm. Did not know that. I mean, it takes away some of the appeal of a browser-based voice chat, but that's neat to know.

The Random NPC
2016-12-04, 11:42 PM
Google Hangouts with the Roll20 plugin is probably the best option presented. With that said, I still favor Skype + Maptools.

Google Hangouts doesn't allow plugins anymore, or at least I can't figure out how to use them anymore.