PDA

View Full Version : Wizard familiar combat option help?

sage20500
2016-12-02, 11:18 PM
Playing a Gestalted Wizard 20//Monk2/Paladin18 and I'm already am taking the High Warrior Wizard substitution level to turn my special mount into my familiar as well. Aside from the universal familiar spells and the Paladin mount buff spells, what other things can I potentially do to make my familiar mount be pretty good to amazing in combat?

Starting the game off with an owl familiar for flavor reasons, if possible if I can stick to using better upgraded versions of owls to keep with the flavor that be awesome. (Am thinking of the mount being a giant owl, and then the DM of my game has said I can get a half dragon mount if I take the dragon steed feat for it, so that is also an option for me to increase its stats. Eventual goal for the familiar mount is to allow it to dive bomb people with touch spell fly bys while i focus on casting battlefield control spells on other targets, with the potential rule of cool factor being worked in that this is happening while I am riding/surfing the owl.

danielxcutter
2016-12-03, 12:03 AM
Playing a Gestalted Wizard 20//Monk2/Paladin18 and I'm already am taking the High Warrior Wizard substitution level to turn my special mount into my familiar as well. Aside from the universal familiar spells and the Paladin mount buff spells, what other things can I potentially do to make my familiar mount be pretty good to amazing in combat?

Starting the game off with an owl familiar for flavor reasons, if possible if I can stick to using better upgraded versions of owls to keep with the flavor that be awesome. (Am thinking of the mount being a giant owl, and then the DM of my game has said I can get a half dragon mount if I take the dragon steed feat for it, so that is also an option for me to increase its stats. Eventual goal for the familiar mount is to allow it to dive bomb people with touch spell fly bys while i focus on casting battlefield control spells on other targets, with the potential rule of cool factor being worked in that this is happening while I am riding/surfing the owl.

I think that there was a feat that allowed your familiar to cast spells up to caster level/3 times a day or something. If you could spare the feat, then that would be awesome.

Nifft
2016-12-03, 12:08 AM
Aside from the universal familiar spells and the Paladin mount buff spells, what other things can I potentially do to make my familiar mount be pretty good to amazing in combat?

The universal Wizard buff spells.

Specifically:

Shapechange.

sage20500
2016-12-03, 12:42 AM

Specifically:

Shapechange.

I'm pretty sure my DM is going to not allow that spell, he's already not allowing Polymorph any Object and Draconic Polymorph for obvious reasons of those spells potential of being broken.

DarkSoul
2016-12-03, 12:59 AM
Since you're gestalt with wiz20 on one side, put a supermount build on the other.

sage20500
2016-12-03, 01:07 AM
I'm prestige classing on the wizard side for some fun things (War Weaver, War Mage, 1 other 5 level prc), but my dm has also told me no halfling race cheese since i already told everyone I was going to be playing a Gray Elf, as well as because he's built the supermount build before and doesn't want me to overshadow the rest of the party any more than I potentially already can by being a Transmuter wizard.

sage20500
2016-12-03, 01:09 AM

Specifically:

Shapechange.

Also unless the familiar looses the abilities of shapechange as soon as it moves more than 5ft away from me, part of Wizard Familiar share spell says they have to stay close by to you to receive the effects of the spell.

Nifft
2016-12-03, 02:29 AM
Also unless the familiar looses the abilities of shapechange as soon as it moves more than 5ft away from me, part of Wizard Familiar share spell says they have to stay close by to you to receive the effects of the spell.

"I am an ancient prismatic dragon hugging another ancient prismatic dragon. Eat fabulous magical death, evildoer."

mastermisha1
2016-12-03, 02:40 AM

Enspell familiar feat (dragon compendium) would share your spells to any distance up to 1 mile.