PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Question

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-07-15, 11:02 AM
Is there anything stopping a shaper from having multiple Astral constructs at once? I had a cool Idea for a Psionic Villain.

Sure, I could break the rules, but I honestly like to have the same restrictions as the players when designing antagonists for them, so I figure I'd check with y'all.

Khantalas
2007-07-15, 11:06 AM
Is there anything stopping a shaper from having multiple Astral constructs at once?

Yes. Complete Psionic. Other than that, nothing.

Well, you just go for it.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-15, 11:06 AM
Nope, unless you use the unmentionable book.

Psions! Comp*Is smothered by angry people* Psi*Auuughh!* never existed!

*Cheering*

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-07-15, 11:09 AM
Yes. Complete Psionic. Other than that, nothing.

Well, you just go for it.

What in Complete Psionic keeps them from doing so? I only own the Expanded Psionic Handbook...

Khantalas
2007-07-15, 11:12 AM
The errata for Astral Construct, which states explicitly that you can only have one Astral Construct at a time. There is a PrC that has two levels devoted to giving you one more extra construct, IIRC.

Quietus
2007-07-15, 11:30 AM
You could always give the ability to use more constructs as a feat, if you wished.

Or, just ignore the rules.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-07-15, 11:53 AM
Ahhh, thanks for all the help guys. I'll see what the rest of my group thinks.

lord_khaine
2007-07-15, 12:57 PM
just ignore complete psionics, the reason for the errata was utter garbage anyway, and is completetly unfair, since it only restrict psionic summoning, and doesnt do anything against the more powerfull druid summoner.

Kyeudo
2007-07-15, 09:21 PM
For the love of all that is sane, ignore the Astral Construct errata from CompPsi!!

Thinker
2007-07-15, 09:36 PM
I think the errata is strongly needed to stop yet another psionic from being Overpowered. They are greatly more powerful than anything else and it takes a STRONG hand to govern them and stop them from ruining the game. Even with strong management it takes alot of effort so my group just tends to ban it in our games!

Khantalas
2007-07-15, 09:39 PM
I think the errata is strongly needed to stop yet another psionic from being Overpowered. They are greatly more powerful than anything else and it takes a STRONG hand to govern them and stop them from ruining the game. Even with strong management it takes alot of effort so my group just tends to ban it in our games!

Oh, really? Did you ban the cleric, druid, sorcerer and wizard, too? Because those take too much DM Fiat to keep from overpowering my poor Psions, no matter how well they're optimized.

Because while the Psion is limited to one Construct at a time, the Wizard summons hordes* of monsters with an average strength higher than that of the Construct. And that's just a few rounds.

*Standard exaggeration rules apply.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-07-15, 09:56 PM

I think you might not understand the psionics rules properly, if that's the case... or be using 3.0 psionics.

Psions are far less powerful than their arcane brothers, the wizards. There simply aren't psionic powers that can replicate the wizard's best spells.

Dragonmuncher
2007-07-15, 10:21 PM
Thinker! Everytime I go into a thread, you're there before me with something I have to reply to!

I don't understand why you think casters are so underpowered, but psionics are OVERpowered.

Anyway, check out this link:

Myth: The XPH is overpowered (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=331253)

It answers pretty much any and all objections people have with psionics, most of which stem from a misunderstanding of the rules, or not keeping certain things in context (i.e. saying Psychic Warrior is so much better than fighter doesn't mean much when you can say that about almost any class in the game)

Remember: You can't spend more power points on a power than you have manifester levels!