PDA

View Full Version : Full Extent of Disguise Kits

SMac8988
2016-12-03, 08:38 AM
So I am planning a character, having decide if he will be a reoccurring npc in the game I DM or if I will be joining a game as him. But the bases is he is a human, with a very slender gender neutral frame and everyday builds a new face, clothes and backstory never being the same person twice. I am currently thinking trickery cleric/arcane trickster but don't quite get the spell progression there.

But my big question is what is the extent of the Disguise kit? We are talking liquid latex building a complete skin tight mask, with rich details or is it a makeup kit with different shades of blush?

MustacheManny
2016-12-03, 11:04 AM
I think it depends a lot on the world you've built. Is it a very industrious place with some notable technological advances? Or is it more high fantasy with not much in the way of tech. Perhaps instead of a plain disguise kit it could be a pot of magical clay that can mold into faces. That may add some interesting flavor to the NPC as well.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-04, 10:42 AM
This pouch of cosmetics, hair dye, and small props lets you create disguises that change your physical appearance.
Basically just a bunch of makeup and fake mustaches, I think.

If you really want this concept, I think your best bet is a Warlock with the Mask of Many Faces invocation for Disguise Self at will. That will get you some pretty comprehensive disguises.

Naanomi
2016-12-04, 12:35 PM
Depends on the campaign, and 'realistic' is kind of a stretch; but I think a 'master of disguise' type character is an appropriate one that fits most fantasy campaign's asthetics even if you have to stretch the reality of makeup technology. I played (only for a few games sadly) a female lightfoot halfling/charlatan/rogue (mastermind) whose 'alter ego' was a royal spoiled human male child

Warlock (archfey, any pact boon), Lore Bard, Rogue Mastermind/Assassin; all offer some natural support to the concept, though others might fit as well with a bit of massaging (illusionist, trickster Cleric, etc)

Regitnui
2016-12-04, 02:20 PM
If you really want this concept, I think your best bet is a Warlock with the Mask of Many Faces invocation for Disguise Self at will. That will get you some pretty comprehensive disguises.

Don't forget the changeling race if you're allowed UA.

JackPhoenix
2016-12-04, 03:04 PM
True master of disguises would be changeling who polymorph himself into a different race, then applies disguise kit to look like someone else, then cast Disguise Self to disguise himself into something else entirely, then uses fake shrub to pretend he's just a bush and finishes it with Mirage Arcana to change the whole surroundings.

Squeeq
2016-12-04, 03:07 PM
The best use of disguise kits honestly is that they're non magical so people who rely on truesight or something to see through deceptions won't even think you're just a guy with a fake nose and not the mayor

Foxhound438
2016-12-04, 03:51 PM
But my big question is what is the extent of the Disguise kit? We are talking liquid latex building a complete skin tight mask, with rich details or is it a makeup kit with different shades of blush?

it's a wide selection of stick-on moustaches. Every one can basically convince a slightly below average person (int 8) that you're a completely different person than any of the others. This is largely due to the fact that, as we all know, anything with 8 int is so stupid that it can't even tie its boots.

Sigreid
2016-12-04, 03:58 PM
I would expect it to be makeup, hair dyes, wigs, fake mustaches, padding to change your body shape under clothes, costume jewelry, things like that. I wouldn't expect it to have the ability to fabricate an artificial face to wear as a mask, but I could easily see some DMs doing that.

Funnily enough, I did exactly what you're talking about in a Palladium game once. Had an assassin that changed his appearance constantly so people were certain of neither his race nor gender. He carried a trinket used to identify himself to those he wished to realize it was him (the party).

Naanomi
2016-12-04, 04:00 PM
The best use of disguise kits honestly is that they're non magical so people who rely on truesight or something to see through deceptions won't even think you're just a guy with a fake nose and not the mayor
Exactly why my build was a Rogue/Mastermind... all non-magic disguise goodness.

A question... a svirfneblin casting Non-Detection on themselves via racial ability... protect their magical disguises from truesight?

Regitnui
2016-12-05, 01:47 AM
Exactly why my build was a Rogue/Mastermind... all non-magic disguise goodness.

A question... a svirfneblin casting Non-Detection on themselves via racial ability... protect their magical disguises from truesight?

I think nondetection only works on magical scrying or mental abilities. Truesight is an aspect of the creature's physical sight. A magical aspect, but as long as they can see the truesight is effective.

SMac8988
2016-12-05, 02:27 AM
So if as a trickster could I take like some type of illusion and do a disguise check and just do the illusion to smooth out some of the details?

Would that get past truesight?

Regitnui
2016-12-05, 05:57 AM
So if as a trickster could I take like some type of illusion and do a disguise check and just do the illusion to smooth out some of the details?

Would that get past truesight?

Assuming you're not a changeling or shapeshifting race, and that the mundane disguise is the main portion of the disguise with the illusion doing touch-ups, then yes. The truesighted being would see that you're using an illusion to cover something, but unless they have an obvious cue (glue under the mustache) or reason to distrust you, they'd likely assume vanity over deception.

At my table, anyway.

Nicodiemus
2016-12-05, 08:44 AM
I always think of old Pink Panther movies whenever the topic of disguise kits comes up. It makes me chuckle.

Battlebooze
2016-12-05, 08:51 AM
They all come with a hypnotic tie that prevents anyone from realizing you're really not the new crossword editor.

Zorku
2016-12-06, 06:33 PM
Book seems to explicitly say what's in the pouch. Slightly better than a bunch of Groucho Marx glasses, but obviously relies a lot on the character to pull off the act.

Still, I'd pretty much let it do anything the spell of the same name does, provided that the dice are kind.