PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform When's Marvel? 2017 - Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Announced!

Zevox
2016-12-03, 04:04 PM
So, the rumors this week were true (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOgJ9y0Ots). There is a new Marvel vs Capcom coming next year, called Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (because 4 didn't sound cool enough? :smallconfused:) - and given only two characters were shown for each company in the reveal trailer, most likely the rumor of it going back to the MvC1 style of 2v2 with extra assist characters is true as well. In which case, the other disappointing part of that rumor is probably also true: namely, that the game will not have any X-Men or Fantastic Four related characters, because Marvel doesn't want to give Fox free movie advertising, and will instead focus mainly on the MCU from the Marvel side. The fact that Wolverine, previously the headliner of the Marvel side in the series, was not in the reveal trailer seems to back up that rumor as well.

So, that gives me a bit of a mixed reaction to this personally - I loved Marvel vs Capcom 3, even though I wound up ceasing to play it much due to the bad netcode, but I can't say the idea of dropping from 3v3 to 2v2 and trading different assist options for every playable character for separate, single assist characters sounds thrilling to me, and losing characters like Wolverine, Magneto, Deadpool, and Doctor Doom is disappointing (even if the only ones I played much were Doom and X-23). But! It is still a new Marvel vs Capcom, so I am plenty interested - and Capcom has already corrected one of its more annoying mistakes from MvC3, as the very first character shown for MvCI was Mega Man X, so the Blue Bomber is back, which is pretty exciting.

Speaking of characters, the ones from the reveal trailer are mostly predictable: Mega Man X and Ryu on the Capcom side, and Iron Man on the Marvel side. The second Marvel character is a newcomer, though, albeit one who was predictable given the MCU focus: Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers, which is pretty cool. I hope she takes from Rogue's moveset from MvC2, since Rogue from that era got some of her powers by draining Carol (also I liked playing Rogue in that game from the little bit I played of it).

Oh, and they are also apparently re-releasing Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 on PS4 today, and X-Box One and PC in March. That could be pretty cool... if there's been any updates to it. If the online in particular is still bad, I may not even pick it up, much as I like the game.

So, anybody else interested in either of these? I know this board tends not to have a huge number of fighting game fans on it...

KillingAScarab
2016-12-03, 04:49 PM
The second Marvel character is a newcomer, though, albeit one who was predictable given the MCU focus: Captain Marvel, aka Carol Danvers, which is pretty cool. I hope she takes from Rogue's moveset from MvC2, since Rogue from that era got some of her powers by draining Carol (also I liked playing Rogue in that game from the little bit I played of it).While that would be an interesting twist - Carol Danvers taking Rogue's powerset - she's short-range teleport-y in the teaser. Another reason Captain Marvel is there - did you notice what X was trying to grab hold of? :smallamused: I think the title hints at the reason (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Super_Heroes_%28video_game%29) why it could be down from 3v3 to 2v2.

...and Capcom has already corrected one of its more annoying mistakes from MvC3, as the very first character shown for MvCI was Mega Man X, so the Blue Bomber is back, which is pretty exciting.The decision to have only Zero in MvC3 never made sense to me. It's a VS. series game, the roster is supposed to be giant. By the Ultra iteration of Street Fighter IV, that game's roster was only 12 short of Marvel vs. Capcom 2's. X should have been at least a downloadable character (but not Axl).

In which case, the other disappointing part of that rumor is probably also true: namely, that the game will not have any X-Men or Fantastic Four related characters, because Marvel doesn't want to give Fox free movie advertising, and will instead focus mainly on the MCU from the Marvel side. The fact that Wolverine, previously the headliner of the Marvel side in the series, was not in the reveal trailer seems to back up that rumor as well.I'm not convinced that X-Men or Fantastic Four characters wouldn't be used. First, Logan/James Howlett is currently dead in the comics. X-23 has since taken up the mantle of Wolverine, but Old Man Logan is around if they want to use him and his annoying dive kick (side note: play Divekick (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divekick)). In the teaser trailer for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, only three characters were featured on a side, but more were also hinted at in silhouette. It also pointed out that there had been 10 years between Marvel vs. Capcom games (though Tatsunoko vs. Capcom came before it), so they needed to get hype up again for that. Choosing Captain Marvel now is likely a step towards keeping her front and center after the comics event Civil War II and introducing her ahead of the Captain Marvel movie (as you pointed out) for those who didn't read the comics. I would also point out that the Marvel Cinematic Universe was in full swing in 2011 when Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was released, and they chose freaking Galactus for the end-game boss. That was well after Rise of the Silver Surfer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four:_Rise_of_the_Silver_Surfer) had been released with its very disappointing portrayal. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the return of Super Skrull, but I don't see a reason to try to take 1/4th of Super Skrull and make an FF character.

I just hope they don't bring back Cyclops. Not until they get rid of his current costume, anyway.

Zevox
2016-12-03, 05:38 PM
(Wow, I'm a little surprised to actually get a response.)

While that would be an interesting twist - Carol Danvers taking Rogue's powerset - she's short-range teleport-y in the teaser. Another reason Captain Marvel is there - did you notice what X was trying to grab hold of? :smallamused: I think the title hints at the reason (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Super_Heroes_%28video_game%29) why it could be down from 3v3 to 2v2.
Uh, she doesn't do anything the trailer that looks teleport-like to me - she just moves fast. Which, actually, I'm wondering if the purple and green auras Ryu and her get during the trailer are indicative of a power-up of some kind that will be in the game - sort of this game's X-Factor or V-Trigger, since Capcom seems to like having mechanics such as those in their fighting games lately. And what I meant with taking from Rogue's moveset was more her normal attacks, notably including the divekick, and maybe her punch-rush special move. Certainly I don't think she'd be taking the whole power-draining thing, since that's obviously specific to Rogue.

And yeah, I'm aware MvC1 was like that. I still find the decision to go back to that a bit disappointing personally, since I prefer MvC2 and 3's 3v3 style to that.

The decision to have only Zero in MvC3 never made sense to me. It's a VS. series game, the roster is supposed to be giant. By the Ultra iteration of Street Fighter IV, that game's roster was only 12 short of Marvel vs. Capcom 2's. X should have been at least a downloadable character (but not Axl).
Yeah, but it fits with how Capcom hasn't seemed to want to do anything with Mega Man at all since Inafune left them. I'm genuinely surprised that they're not repeating that with Infinite, honestly.

I'm not convinced that X-Men or Fantastic Four characters wouldn't be used. First, Logan/James Howlett is currently dead in the comics. X-23 has since taken up the mantle of Wolverine, but Old Man Logan is around if they want to use him and his annoying dive kick (side note: play Divekick (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divekick)). In the teaser trailer for Marvel vs. Capcom 3, only three characters were featured on a side, but more were also hinted at in silhouette. It also pointed out that there had been 10 years between Marvel vs. Capcom games (though Tatsunoko vs. Capcom came before it), so they needed to get hype up again for that. Choosing Captain Marvel now is likely a step towards keeping her front and center after the comics event Civil War II and introducing her ahead of the Captain Marvel movie (as you pointed out) for those who didn't read the comics. I would also point out that the Marvel Cinematic Universe was in full swing in 2011 when Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was released, and they chose freaking Galactus for the end-game boss. That was well after Rise of the Silver Surfer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Four:_Rise_of_the_Silver_Surfer) had been released with its very disappointing portrayal. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the return of Super Skrull, but I don't see a reason to try to take 1/4th of Super Skrull and make an FF character.

I just hope they don't bring back Cyclops. Not until they get rid of his current costume, anyway.
*shrug* Well, every other rumor about the game besides the screenshots that were already proven faked has turned out to be true, and Wolverine is still the most famous and popular individual character Marvel has as far as non-comic fans go, so his absence from the trailer and that rumor having come right alongside the rest of the now-proven-true ones makes me think that one is probably accurate as well. If it proves false, well, great, I'll be happy if we get Doom, Deadpool, and/or X-23 back, and others would be happy to still have Wolverine and Magneto around. If not... well, if it's the price we have to pay to get a new MvC, so be it.

Speaking of characters, over on the Capcom side, I'm going to be eagerly awaiting to hear what they do with the Devil May Cry characters. I played all of them in MvC3, and would greatly like to see all three back - though I don't know how much hope I can have for Trish, who was an odd inclusion from the get-go. And the whole reboot debacle may throw a wrench in the works even for Dante and Vergil. I won't mind if they throw in the reboot version of Dante as long as they've got the original as well, but if it's just the reboot characters, that's going to annoy me.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-03, 05:54 PM
And yeah, I'm aware MvC1 was like that. I still find the decision to go back to that a bit disappointing personally, since I prefer MvC2 and 3's 3v3 style to that.I linked to Marvel Super Heroes, which used Infinity Gems. The game has "Infinite" in the title, and the Infinity Stones have been in the overarching plot of the MCU movies. I would say it's a good bet that having one or more of those on your team makes up for one less team member.

Dibs on the Time Stone!

Speaking of characters, over on the Capcom side, I'm going to be eagerly awaiting to hear what they do with the Devil May Cry characters. I played all of them in MvC3, and would greatly like to see all three back - though I don't know how much hope I can have for Trish, who was an odd inclusion from the get-go. And the whole reboot debacle may throw a wrench in the works even for Dante and Vergil. I won't mind if they throw in the reboot version of Dante as long as they've got the original as well, but if it's just the reboot characters, that's going to annoy me.Well, it looks like Ultron has been possessed by Emperor Sardius. This bodes well for Arthur and Firebrand making appearances.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-12-03, 06:01 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for Asura and Roll. And Skullgirls 2

KillingAScarab
2016-12-03, 06:18 PM
Dibs on the Time Stone!

...I guess it worked. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I realized, Ryu did grab what looks to be the Power Stone/Space Gem and activates it, rather than using Satsui no Hadou. Captain Marvel's teleports seem to be her activating the Soul Gem/Time Stone (it's unseen, but the aura was green). Before Captain Marvel uses a gem/stone, she looks like a Super Saiyan, though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Asura and Roll. And Skullgirls 2I still need to try out Skullgirls. As for Roll, I could see using her to avoid too much similarity with X, and then Tron Bonne again. That way you cover three different parts of the Mega Man franchise (no cookies for Battle Network/Star Force, though).

Hiro Protagonest
2016-12-03, 06:23 PM
(no cookies for Battle Network/Star Force, though).

Ooooh I hope there's Colonel.exe, actually. A swordsman who can summon turrets would be very interesting (and probably either worthless or overpowered if it's as ridiculously combo-heavy as ever, since those sound like great neutral tools).

Plus, it's Colonel.exe. Wonder what they'd do for his voice though.

Edit: Oh, and I'd also like to point out that Ultron-Sigma looks like Gurren Lagann.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-03, 06:42 PM
Edit: Oh, and I'd also like to point out that Ultron-Sigma looks like Gurren Lagann.Hm. Putting faces on armor seems like more of a Ghouls 'n Ghosts approach to me than Ultron, but we are talking about a pretty advanced robot who already hates all life in the universe. Plus, maybe Wesker can get new sunglasses.

Zevox
2016-12-03, 07:37 PM
I linked to Marvel Super Heroes, which used Infinity Gems. The game has "Infinite" in the title, and the Infinity Stones have been in the overarching plot of the MCU movies. I would say it's a good bet that having one or more of those on your team makes up for one less team member.

Dibs on the Time Stone!
Hm, I genuinely missed that the link went to Marvel Super Heroes rather than MvC1. If they're going for that again, I really hope they do the gems differently - I don't want them popping up randomly like they did in that game. Being a bonus ability ala X-Factor or V-Trigger that you can choose between before a match though, that could be interesting. Won't make up for being 2v2 instead of 3v3, but interesting nonetheless.

Well, it looks like Ultron has been possessed by Emperor Sardius. This bodes well for Arthur and Firebrand making appearances.
Ah, I was wondering whether anybody recognized that silhouette at the end there. But eh, I can't say I have any attachment to any of those characters, personally. I wouldn't be surprised to see Arthur at least, though.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Asura and Roll. And Skullgirls 2
Asura would be cool. Roll I wouldn't bet on - just X and Zero would make the most sense to me. Maybe Tron Bonne again. I'd be pretty happy if we also got classic Mega Man or Proto Man, or a villain like Doctor Wily in some mech-suit, but I would not put good odds on it.

Hm, if we're going full into character speculation, let's see...

Capcom:
- Street Fighter: Definitely expect several characters from here. Chun-li will be one, no question. Akuma is another likely choice. Depending on the roster size, I'd expect a fourth besides those three - I'd prefer Juri, but logically they my try to throw in a SF5 newcomer to help promote that game specifically, in which case I'd bet on Rashid or Necalli (and hope for Rashid).
- Mega Man: Covered above.
- Resident Evil: I have no familiarity with the series and don't care much what they do with it, honestly. Wesker was kind of a big deal in Marvel 3, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him return, but other than that, eh, whatever. I expect at least a few characters from it, whoever they turn out to be, though.
- Devil May Cry: I expect at least something, and am going to be most anxious to see what will happen here. Worst-case scenario, it's all reboot characters, probably Dante, Vergil, and maybe one more. My personal best-case scenario would be classic Dante, Vergil, Trish, and maybe even add in Lady and/or Nero. More realistically? Hopefully classic Dante and Vergil plus reboot Dante, as a compromise.
- Ace Attorney: I would love to see Phoenix Wright return, and adding more from the franchise could be fun too. Edgeworth and Apollo would probably be the top picks if anyone got added, though I'd also like to see Athena, personally. Realistically, wouldn't surprise me if just Phoenix returns, and that's fine.
- Darkstalkers: Capcom always seems to like throwing in Morrigan and Felicia from this franchise, so I expect them to be back. Maybe another character or two gets tapped, depending on whether Capcom is still interested in trying to revive the series or not.
- Monster Hunter: Probably Capcom's biggest franchise that has never had a playable character in MvC. Supposedly the developers of the franchise refused to include a character from it in MvC3, so maybe it still won't. If it does, I'd expect a generic Hunter, with moves using different weapons from the series.
- Others: I'd like to see Amaterasu and Strider return. Other than that, eh, whatever Capcom wants to throw in from lesser-known franchises is ultimately good with me. My main areas of fandom for Capcom are Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, and to a lesser degree Street Fighter, so those are where the characters I'm most familiar with/interested in from them lie.

Marvel:
- The obvious: Captain America, the Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, and Rocket Racoon will all return, duh. Probably Hawkeye too.
- I will not be surprised if we see Black Widow, Starlord, Groot, Black Panther, Winter Soldier, and Falcon get added - possibly even Gamora and Drax from the Guardians, for that matter, especially if the X-Men, Deadpool, and Doom really are being cut, leaving more room for secondary characters from other series.
- Most likely there will also be a new Spider-Man character or two, related to whomever will be showing up in his new movies - I hope for Venom, since he was kind of fun in MvC2.
- I really want to see Dormammu back, too, since I played him a lot, but I'm not sure if Marvel wants to promote him given his comparably small actual role in the Doctor Strange movie and the fact that it seems not to have set him to make future appearances.
- Ant-Man and Wasp seem like good candidates, since it looks like Ant-Man is getting a sequel movie that has her in the title.
- Loki and Thanos seem like good bets as far as villains go, given Loki's popularity and Thanos' status as the major villain of the next, much-built-up Avengers movie.
- Vision and the Scarlet Witch may be decent candidates, as supporting characters from the Avengers films (Wanda slipping in even if the X-Men are otherwise banned due to Marvel having the rights to use her in movies).
- Veterans whose return I would not be 100% sure of (mutant and FF-related ones aside): Dormammu, MODOK, She-Hulk, Shuma-Gorath, Taskmaster, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Nova. Capcom seems to like Shuma, though, so he may have a fair shot, particularly if Marvel is at all considering using him in future Doctor Strange films.
- The difficult thing for me personally here is that as far as Marvel goes, I've historically mostly been an X-Men fan. The MCU has made me like some of their other characters, but I know little about their supporting casts, especially outside of the movies, to guess who else may be candidates if the X-Men aren't an option. I'd never even heard of Rocket Raccoon and Nova before they got added to UMvC3, for example.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-03, 08:43 PM
Perhaps I will be more inspired as others post their lists of characters they would like to see/think make sense on the roster. For now, though, well. Marvel's got Captain Marvel, so Capcom's counter-pick is pretty obvious (http://capcom.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Commando_%28Character%29).

Edit: I'm getting the sense from the teaser that Captain Marvel's fighting style might be similar to Nova. She might be a re-skin since that character is currently missing in space and his son is going around with his helmet instead. Again, I'm wondering why they grew out Carol's hair and gave her a battle aura, if not because she's going to be revealed to be part Saiyan as well as part Kree.

Zevox
2016-12-03, 09:37 PM
Edit: I'm getting the sense from the teaser that Captain Marvel's fighting style might be similar to Nova. She might be a re-skin since that character is currently missing in space and his son is going around with his helmet instead. Again, I'm wondering why they grew out Carol's hair and gave her a battle aura, if not because she's going to be revealed to be part Saiyan as well as part Kree.
I'm not sure I'd put much stock in the teaser telling us anything about the characters' movesets. It's purely cinematic, it won't be reflective of the actual gameplay.

On the upside, we should know later this weekend, since a gameplay demonstration is apparently planned for after Capcom Cup. Presumably that will use the characters from the teaser, so we'll get a look at X and Captain Marvel's gameplay, as well as an idea of if there's any changes to Ryu and Iron Man.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-04, 03:18 AM
Oh, hey, Scarlet Witch. What's the word?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyz9DwJVQAA2dbb.jpg (https://twitter.com/ShADoWxNoBODy/status/805296695005171712)

Zevox
2016-12-04, 03:35 AM
Gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hTW2VFpJ4) is out! There's only short glimpses of what each character can do, honestly, which is a bit disappointing. A full match like they showed with each MvC3 character reveal would've been preferable. I hope X has some cooler abilities than just what's shown here, because he honestly looks a little dull, with just punches and kicks I'd expect of anyone plus basic buster shots and a buster super. Captain Marvel does not look like she's taking anything from Rogue, but does look like she might be kind of cool anyway.

The Infinity Stones are confirmed to be involved in some way too, though it's not clear how. Ryu used the Power stone, and Captain Marvel the Time stone. Hard to say what all of their effects may be, but the Power Stone seems to have given Ryu a move where he just sort of clenches his fist and calls out its name, which caused a wallbounce that he used in a combo, while the Time stone clearly allowed Captain Marvel to teleport-dash and looks like it was probably speeding up her attacks.

There was quite a lot of mid-combo character switching reminiscent of MvC3's Team Aerial Combos going on, too, so it looks like they've added new mechanics of that sort - hopefully minus the "the opponent might break the combo if you do this" effect. And I think Captain Marvel and Iron Man DHC'd in there, so that mechanic is still in, thankfully.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-04, 04:16 AM
Gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1hTW2VFpJ4) is out! There's only short glimpses of what each character can do, honestly, which is a bit disappointing. A full match like they showed with each MvC3 character reveal would've been preferable. I hope X has some cooler abilities than just what's shown here, because he honestly looks a little dull, with just punches and kicks I'd expect of anyone plus basic buster shots and a buster super. Captain Marvel does not look like she's taking anything from Rogue, but does look like she might be kind of cool anyway.I understand there were some technical difficulties at Capcom Cup (and that it was an amazing grand finals). As for X, they're obviously not showing us everything, Ryu didn't even use a single regular hadoken. Captain Marvel likely also has a ranged special which wasn't shown, since Iron Man was doing all the ranged attacks for that team.

The Infinity Stones are confirmed to be involved in some way too, though it's not clear how. Ryu used the Power stone, and Captain Marvel the Time stone. Hard to say what all of their effects may be, but the Power Stone seems to have given Ryu a move where he just sort of clenches his fist and calls out its name, which caused a wallbounce that he used in a combo, while the Time stone clearly allowed Captain Marvel to teleport-dash and looks like it was probably speeding up her attacks.Someone needs to tell Ryu to stop advertising other fighting games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Stone). :smalltongue: Ryu was also donkey kick (http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Joudan_Sokutogeri)ing like there was no tomorrow, and wall bounce is normally a property of it. It's tough to say if it's just the initial "Get off me" or if other moves get that property (I think additional damage or crumple could be contenders, but didn't notice them). But Captain Marvel definitely went right through one of those kicks (which was probably demonstrated to make the effect more obvious).

There was quite a lot of mid-combo character switching reminiscent of MvC3's Team Aerial Combos going on, too, so it looks like they've added new mechanics of that sort - hopefully minus the "the opponent might break the combo if you do this" effect. And I think Captain Marvel and Iron Man DHC'd in there, so that mechanic is still in, thankfully.That blue aura around characters makes it easier to tell when these switches happen. And not only did Iron Man come in with DHC Proton Canon, he was on another axis. So... was he the Invincible Iron Man?

Zevox
2016-12-04, 01:03 PM
As for X, they're obviously not showing us everything, Ryu didn't even use a single regular hadoken.
True - I just hope what they're not showing us from X is more interesting than what they did show us. Because as-is, he looks pretty uninspired.

Someone needs to tell Ryu to stop advertising other fighting games (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Stone). :smalltongue: Ryu was also donkey kick (http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Joudan_Sokutogeri)ing like there was no tomorrow, and wall bounce is normally a property of it. It's tough to say if it's just the initial "Get off me" or if other moves get that property (I think additional damage or crumple could be contenders, but didn't notice them). But Captain Marvel definitely went right through one of those kicks (which was probably demonstrated to make the effect more obvious).
Ryu having donkey kick's not a surprise, he did in Marvel 3 as well.

That blue aura around characters makes it easier to tell when these switches happen. And not only did Iron Man come in with DHC Proton Canon, he was on another axis. So... was he the Invincible Iron Man?
:smallconfused: Not sure what you mean by "he was on another axis," honestly.

Edit: Okay, news (http://shoryuken.com/2016/12/04/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-will-not-use-assists-features-freeform-two-character-combo-system/). Assists are completely gone, either as moves for the playable characters or separate characters Marvel 1 style, which I definitely do not think is a good idea, since those added a lot of depth to designing teams. Infinity Stones are chosen alongside your characters and replace X-Factor, though, so that is as I'd hoped it would be. All the mid-combo character swapping is due to Capcom deliberately trying to implement some kind of free-form team combo mechanic, like TACs but much quicker and more universally accessible, so it will be interesting to see how precisely that shakes out.

Interestingly, a Marvel Entertainment Creative Director also indicated that the X-Men are not completely off the table - albeit in a bit of a non-specific, possibly weaselly way. His words were apparently "That heritage is not lost." So yeah, maybe a bit of hope there, but it's too vague of a response for me to assume that rumor is completely wrong from it.

Zevox
2016-12-04, 11:52 PM
So, an extended gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udJXP1qjfUM) has been released, adding just a bit more of what we saw originally - including a brief moment of X seeming to enter a powered-up mode where his armor turns white - but also revealing two more characters: Captain America and Morrigan. They look pretty much like you'd expect, and they were a pretty obvious couple of inclusions, so not exactly exciting there, but I do appreciate them getting some obvious announcements out of the way so quickly after the initial reveal of the game.

Slightly more interesting is an interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cymrX0aRXVI) about the game with a pair of people working on it. Granted, there's a lot of filler talk that doesn't amount to any real details, but what they do say of substance is that the game will include a "cinematic story mode" and will be "feature-rich" when released. Which, well, previously I'd be deeply skeptical about the story mode claim coming from Capcom, but they did just do one in Street Fighter 5, albeit around five months after the game released. And while Street Fighter 5 very distinctly did not launch "feature-rich" by any definition, the fact that it has fared so poorly due to that may perhaps have taught Capcom a lesson. We can only hope, anyway.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-05, 06:18 PM
So, an extended gameplay trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udJXP1qjfUM) has been released, adding just a bit more of what we saw originally - including a brief moment of X seeming to enter a powered-up mode where his armor turns white - but also revealing two more characters: Captain America and Morrigan. They look pretty much like you'd expect, and they were a pretty obvious couple of inclusions, so not exactly exciting there, but I do appreciate them getting some obvious announcements out of the way so quickly after the initial reveal of the game.Heh. X's armored form gives him armor. He took a shot from Iron Man while charging the X buster up.It seems that Iron Man's projectile was nullified by X's charge shot, not that the projectile didn't interrupt the charging sequence. We also saw a hurricane kick from Ryu.

Regarding the "different axis" comment earlier, it was before we saw Captain Marvel's full combo. Now, if you pause the extended gameplay trailer at 47 seconds, you'll see that Captain Marvel and Iron Man's beam weapons are at different angles, but this seems to be because Captain Marvel was performing an air combo and Iron Man was grounded. Previously, I thought this meant hyper combos might be more "cinematic" events and you might not be able to retaliate against the other partner.

Morrigan performs an air combo and tags in Captain America. Unlike in previous games, however, Captain America comes in on the ground to catch the falling opponent. Tag system looks like it might be versatile.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-10, 04:08 AM
Dibs on the Time Stone! -DOUBLEPOST-

Norio Hirose is the announced director for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (http://shoryuken.com/2016/12/07/norio-hirose-programmer-on-the-original-marvel-vs-series-named-director-on-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite/). I think we don't have to worry about an incomplete release with a director from a time when incomplete games were less likely to be allowed to go out the door. Also noteworthy is the mention of Infinity Stones working like Capcom vs. SNK grooves. Begs the question what changes might be in place before you even activate one. Grooves in that series would allow mechanics which didn't need to use a resource like a meter: half-jumps, dodging and parrying.

Zevox
2016-12-10, 02:57 PM
Dibs on the Time Stone! -DOUBLEPOST-

Norio Hirose is the announced director for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite (http://shoryuken.com/2016/12/07/norio-hirose-programmer-on-the-original-marvel-vs-series-named-director-on-marvel-vs-capcom-infinite/). I think we don't have to worry about an incomplete release with a director from a time when incomplete games were less likely to be allowed to go out the door. Also noteworthy is the mention of Infinity Stones working like Capcom vs. SNK grooves. Begs the question what changes might be in place before you even activate one. Grooves in that series would allow mechanics which didn't need to use a resource like a meter: half-jumps, dodging and parrying.
Hm, well, that might be interesting - though I wonder why they wouldn't have shown something of that sort off in the trailer if that's the case.

Speaking of, I've seen some breakdown videos dissecting the gameplay trailer, and the exact effects people noticed from the Infinity Gems was an interesting point. Something that they pointed out for instance is that the Time Gem didn't merely speed up Captain Marvel's attacks, it enabled her to chain moves that shouldn't normally be chainable, going from heavies to lights - and in one case even chaining a move into a second repetition of itself. Meanwhile, with Ryu, possible effects of the Power Gem include OTGing with his standing light kick (though that may be just a universal change relative to Marvel 3) and getting multiple wallbounces in one combo. So it seems like the Infinity Stones, in addition to unlocking new abilities like the fist-clench move Ryu did or the teleport-dash Captain Marvel used, will basically enable you to break different fundamental rules of the game.

Also an interesting observation is that with the tag mechanic, every time it was shown the second character stayed in for only a brief amount of time before tagging back into the first character - and you could see the first character still sort of hanging back where he'd stopped when the second came in. It could be that the mechanic won't let you permanently swap in the second character and puts a time limit on how long they're out, which would make it more like an extended, more customizable version of adding an assist to a combo, rather than the completely free-form mechanic it initially looked like.