PDA

View Full Version : One armed melee build.

The Shadowdove
2016-12-03, 04:27 PM
Hey folks,

My character died and his resurrection was interrupted. DM rolled percentile to determine anywhere from catastrophic failure to perfect success and got something average.

So, here I am missing an arm and all memories of my past life. Basically I'm a level one again and have to catch up, but also have the added handicap.

I used to be the party's battle master fighter. They're left with a bard, cleric, and wizard. We aren't allowed more than three levels of dipping and the party is at level 6.

I want to be some sort of one armed mobile and/or Nova character. Melee focused.

The appeal of being a battle master was that I had a variety of tools of my sleeve. So, while not necessary, having a few different abilities, skills, spells, or feats to address different situations isn't a bad thing. If lacking spells and such, interesting mundane tools (caltrops/etc) are fun as well.

Agile dodgy Dex or bursty str plate builds welcome, no real preference, let's see what you can come up with.

All 5e Wizard of the coast books and PDFs allowed.

Here are my rolls: 18, 17, 16, 15, 12, 9.

MeeposFire
2016-12-03, 04:45 PM
To bad you want to be able to NOVA as I think monk was very viable until you said that.

Perhaps a fighterEK/rogue or fighterEK/warlock2/rogue build? The first is only a melee build. YOu take fighter to level 7 or 8 so you can cast booming blade and attack. The second requires crossbow expert to be used in melee but with that feat you can use EB+cha while getting a weapon attack. In both cases you get sneak attack added to your weapon damage and you can use action surge to get extra damage (at times you might be best off using your extra action to ready an attack off of your turn with an easy trigger to get an extra sneak attack).

Both builds are versatile and are fun to play. THere are no dead levels too which helps a lot unlike many multiclass builds you will find. First 8 levels are pure fighter so great and effective. On one you then take 12 levels of rogue (or 13 if you go fighter 7) or you take 2 levels of warlock and then 8 or 9 levels of rogue. Each level just adds to your ability and you are not waiting to become effective only to become more effective.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-03, 05:01 PM
If you don't go Blaster-Caster for a Nova, you can still use PAM with a Quarterstaff. A level of Monk to use it with Dex, and/or a level of Druid, or Nature Cleric, or Arcane Initiate for Shillelagh: Wisdom, or 3 levels of TomeLock, or 6/10 levels of Bard for Shillelagh: Cha.

With limitations on being stuck with 1-handed weapons, you don't actually hurt that much. Per die size, it's just +1 average damage (D6 = 3.5, D8 = 4.5, D10 =5.5...) so really, just throw down. May as well take Duellist for Fighting Style, since you don't even have an extra hand to hold anything. You're missing GWM, but can still get PAM on a QStaff.

Nothing says you can't have Str20 by the end of your career, or can't wear Plate. Personally, I like Dexy one-armed duellists, but that's nothing you have to do. You could still run a Paladin and have a pretty solid Nova just from that, PAM, Duellist, a QStaff for 3A+Improved Smite+Smite potential.

Addaran
2016-12-03, 06:24 PM
To bad you want to be able to NOVA as I think monk was very viable until you said that.

Mobile dex character with utility? I'd stay to go monk, even if it's not that nova.

OP didn't say his race, but i'm assuming human. If Vhuman is available, you can start with two 18, and two 16 (or +1 to the 9 to avoid dumb stat) so you'd start with 18 AC. Mobile for the feat, you can run everywhere without wasting ki to prevent attack of opportunity.

Or if you're party needs more a "tank", str EK in full plate. You'll have great AC and you can pick utility cantrips/spells to help other situations. Misty step and/or the EK's magical charge power will help with mobility.

bid
2016-12-03, 06:27 PM
Vuman 18 18 16 16 12 9 offers lots of opportunities.

Being one-armed removes 2-handers, ranged and shields, you'd rather find a class which isn't affected.

Monk is the obvious choice, you can start with AC18 and Con16. You can dip warlock to get a ranged option and use invocations as tools. That would leave Str12 and Int9.

Or dip thief for fast hands.

Mortis_Elrod
2016-12-03, 08:59 PM
Go barbarian/monk str based and kill everything with your only arm left. You Resurrection was interrupted, and instead of the smart tactical combatant that your party remembers, you were reborn into a one armed monster, frustrated by having to live with only one arm and losing all knowledge of a past life you are constantly reminded of but never truly remember. It make me take my wrath out on anything and everything, with the only thing i have left. My arm.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-03, 11:09 PM
Go barbarian/monk str based and kill everything with your only left arm.
Fixed that for you, haha ;)

Or if you're party needs more a "tank", str EK in full plate. You'll have great AC and you can pick utility cantrips/spells to help other situations. Misty step and/or the EK's magical charge power will help with mobility.
Not sure I'd do that. Unless I'm missing something, your bonded weapon doesn't count as an Arcane Focus, so you still need a free hand to cast with, or to touch your focus with. If using a 2-hander (with 2 hands) you can take a hand off the weapon to cast with, just hefting it with the other hand. However, with just one hand...
EK: Reaction! I cast shield!!
DM: Uh, with which hand?
EK: Well, shucks

RSP
2016-12-03, 11:59 PM
Bid, I don't think it's possible for the OP to take fast "hands."

Other than offering bad humor, I'd suggest only going with a caster if your DM isn't a stickler for components as you're going to have a hard time casting and holding a weapon.

Really Monk is the best way to go. Those stats alleviate the MAD nature of the class, and since Monks can't use s shield and since Martial Arts allows any limb to be an Unarmed Strike, the lack of an arm won't hurt the character. Any other class and your feeling that loss in some way (components, dual wielding, shield use, etc).

The Shadowdove
2016-12-04, 07:06 AM
Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

Lots of good suggestions.

Monk is actually my favorite class, but I have one in a diff game and am going to skip that build this time. Also, not going to be a primary caster for those who suggested it.

You lot have me torn between paladin and EK. I'm thinking of a strength based build, since our bard serves as a scout/thief type when she isn't wooing her way past problems. Haven't had a chance to play either or see them in a party. O actually forgot EK existed.

Dexterity for either sounds tempting, but the pros of Strength are very appealing to me this time around.

I am indeed a vuman. So I think that the war caster type feat that allows casting without an empty hand to be a potential choice. Our cleric actually has his focus engraved into the heads of his Warhammer. The DM allows that kind of use of focus, which would probably do well for either class (ek/paladin).

So, what are the ups and downs to either class for my one armed dude and how would you arrange your stats?

Addaran
2016-12-04, 09:44 AM
Oups, forgot to mention Warcaster CaptainSarathai. I think it takes care of the problem?

Thanks for all of the responses everyone.

Lots of good suggestions.

Monk is actually my favorite class, but I have one in a diff game and am going to skip that build this time. Also, not going to be a primary caster for those who suggested it.

You lot have me torn between paladin and EK. I'm thinking of a strength based build, since our bard serves as a scout/thief type when she isn't wooing her way past problems. Haven't had a chance to play either or see them in a party. O actually forgot EK existed.

Dexterity for either sounds tempting, but the pros of Strength are very appealing to me this time around.

I am indeed a vuman. So I think that the war caster type feat that allows casting without an empty hand to be a potential choice. Our cleric actually has his focus engraved into the heads of his Warhammer. The DM allows that kind of use of focus, which would probably do well for either class (ek/paladin).

So, what are the ups and downs to either class for my one armed dude and how would you arrange your stats?

EK
str 18, dex 9, con 18, int 16, wis 16, cha 12 or
str 18, dex 9, con 16, int 18, wis 16, cha 12

Cause i don't like having mental stats lower the 10. You could change dex, wis and cha around.
Full plate, protective style or duelist. Warcaster for your feat.
For the skills, check what your team already have. They are probably missing he natural stuff and maybe the dex stuff.

If they do miss the dex stuff, maybe switch from str build to dex, so you can be the party's sneak/scout as well.

Arial Black
2016-12-04, 10:19 AM
Vuman, start Barbarian 2 (maybe get 3rd later), then switch to your main class: Rogue.

Use a rapier, but use Str to attack.

You start with AC 18 without armour, and can get Defensive Duelist later. Take Magic Initiate as your bonus feat and choose booming blade as one of your two cantrips; it doesn't have a somatic component and the material component is the rapier you already have in hand.

By the time you get to 5th level you'll be Bar 2/Rog 3, and can either choose Assassin if you really want to burst them (heh, see what I did there) or Swashbuckler. Fancy Footwork and Reckless Attack guarantee Sneak Attack.

When raging, you'll attack at +7 with advantage (assuming no magical weapon) and your damage will be:-

1d8 (rapier) +4 (Str) +2 (Rage) +2d6 (Sneak Attack) +1d8 (thunder) = 2d8+2d6+6

After you hit you will move away, avoiding AoOs because of Swashbuckler ability and/or bonus action disengage, and if they move to attack you then they'll take another 2d8 thunder. If they don't follow you then they can't hurt you if they don't have ranged attacks or spells.

So you are doing an average of 31 damage per round at 5th level, and you get another Sneak Attack die every second level.

Later, take a 3rd barbarian level if you fancy a totem ability, or even Frenzy if you feel frisky.

I admit that it's the opposite of burst, but it does burst level damage without using any resources (except Rage, and that's only 2 points) and you can do it all day long.

Socratov
2016-12-04, 10:24 AM

Perhaps a fighterEK/rogue or fighterEK/warlock2/rogue build? The first is only a melee build. YOu take fighter to level 7 or 8 so you can cast booming blade and attack. The second requires crossbow expert to be used in melee but with that feat you can use EB+cha while getting a weapon attack. In both cases you get sneak attack added to your weapon damage and you can use action surge to get extra damage (at times you might be best off using your extra action to ready an attack off of your turn with an easy trigger to get an extra sneak attack).

Both builds are versatile and are fun to play. THere are no dead levels too which helps a lot unlike many multiclass builds you will find. First 8 levels are pure fighter so great and effective. On one you then take 12 levels of rogue (or 13 if you go fighter 7) or you take 2 levels of warlock and then 8 or 9 levels of rogue. Each level just adds to your ability and you are not waiting to become effective only to become more effective.
Where does it say you can sneak attack with spells? As far as I know it's with ranged weapon attacks or finesse weapons...

AS for what I'd do, ask wether your hanidcap carries over into wildshapes. If not, become a moon druid. Play it off as seeking to become whole again and the 'brain damage' as becoming more instinctive...
18 Wis, 18 Con, 16 Cha, 9 Int, STR 12 and Dex 16.

bid
2016-12-04, 10:42 AM
Where does it say you can sneak attack with spells? As far as I know it's with ranged weapon attacks or finesse weapons...
Yeah, EB does not use finesse weapons, contrary to BB.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-04, 10:46 AM
Vhuman feat tavern brawler. Class arcane cleric. Cantrips form domain green flame blade and ray of frost. For stats focused on Wis str and con that order. Spend one of your ASI on getting heavy armor. For your weapon and arcane focus is a shield. Ask your DM if you can use it as a weapon and still get the AC bump. You are playing a handicap PC.

Paeleus
2016-12-04, 10:49 AM
Thematically, I'd go for some kind of split between Undying Light warlock and paladin. I'd probably start paladin for the plate seeing how you'll be a bit squishy from warlock's d8 HD.

By picking up GFB, you'll be dealing 1dX + physical mod + cha, pre level 5. (plus cha + cha to secondary target. This part may be inaccurate.) For spell utility, I would save my Warlock slots for smite spells & divine smites and my paladin slots for warlock spells.

Blade pact boon is obvious at level 3.

bid
2016-12-04, 10:54 AM
Vhuman feat tavern brawler. Class arcane cleric. Cantrips form domain green flame blade and ray of frost. For stats focused on Wis str and con that order. Spend one of your ASI on getting heavy armor. For your weapon and arcane focus is a shield. Ask your DM if you can use it as a weapon and still get the AC bump. You are playing a handicap PC.
Nominated for most creative use of the restriction.:smallbiggrin:

Sir cryosin
2016-12-04, 11:17 AM

You can also put that 9 into charisma and play it to we're you have out burst and get really angry. When anyone looks at were your other arm should be. Or when they even hint at you being disfigured. I would also ask if you could bump the damage day out from a detour to a D6 with the shield. But I don't know how cool your DM would be about letting you get the +2 to the AC and still use it as weapon. Also if you can fit it in picking up the feet shield Master would be pretty cool too.

RSP
2016-12-04, 11:35 AM
Unless DM is allowing exceptions, neither Paladin nor EK can cast spells at level 1, so you would not be able to take Warcaster as a vhuman.

I'd go Pally over EK, not worry about taking Warcaster at all, and just use your free item interaction to stow/draw your weapon around your casting. Like cast Prot from Evil round 1 then draw your weapon; or stow your weapon, cast, and the following round draw before attacking.

Mostly you'll be saving spell slots for Smites anyway.

This frees up your feat for something like Magic Initiate or Defensive Duelist.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-04, 11:37 AM
Also there is the revised Ranger Beastmaster. Go arcane cleric again for green flame blade, minor illusion. The point is to get green flame to work off your wisdom because you only get one attack so you got to make it count. Then finished rest in ranger beastmaster. Throw daggers for spell like conjure b or lightning Arrow

SMac8988
2016-12-04, 11:46 AM
Monk is an amazing set, and can be really functional this way but here me out in this. You get a three level dip so let's try something fun.

Let's go 3 Arcane Trickster, 3 Shadow Monk.

You get sneak attack for the damage bump, all the utility of the base rogue set AND casting abilities. Now these aren't the best but they can help to round out some flaws and help in a lot of situations, ANNNDDDD you get mage hang, which replaces you missing hand.

And with the shadow monk levels you get martial arts if you are ever unarmed and can flurry, now you will need a dagger or short sword for sneak attack, but you can still kick for the flurry. And the monk levels, can't remeber the exact level and away from books, you can shadow dive to help land all those sneak attacks.

Just a suggestion but could be a fun build. Might not be the strongest but ya.

Citan
2016-12-04, 01:25 PM
Hey folks,

My character died and his resurrection was interrupted. DM rolled percentile to determine anywhere from catastrophic failure to perfect success and got something average.

So, here I am missing an arm and all memories of my past life. Basically I'm a level one again and have to catch up, but also have the added handicap.

I used to be the party's battle master fighter. They're left with a bard, cleric, and wizard. We aren't allowed more than three levels of dipping and the party is at level 6.

I want to be some sort of one armed mobile and/or Nova character. Melee focused.

The appeal of being a battle master was that I had a variety of tools of my sleeve. So, while not necessary, having a few different abilities, skills, spells, or feats to address different situations isn't a bad thing. If lacking spells and such, interesting mundane tools (caltrops/etc) are fun as well.

Agile dodgy Dex or bursty str plate builds welcome, no real preference, let's see what you can come up with.

All 5e Wizard of the coast books and PDFs allowed.

Hi!
Well, you get extremely good rolls, and most of your wishes scream Monk to me.
But, before jumping straight to conclusion, let's make a quick review of how you can reach each objective...

NOVA
Fighter's Action Surge
Paladin's Smite
High level spells.
4e Monk's disciplines
GWM / Sharpshooter feats (well, it will be hard to reload crossbows XD).

UTILITY
Items
Items are a trap: since you have only one hand, it would require you to use your free interaction to (un)sheathe your weapon, leaving you without reaction or defense. Although it could still work under conditions: basically taking Warcaster so you can make OA with cantrip such as Shocking Grasp.

Spells
Spells have a chance of falling into the same category, unless you are wielding a quarterstaff or magical weapon that can act as a focus, like some bard's instruments.
OR it makes Warcaster a mandatory feat.
Not a bad choice for the long run, but maybe a bit complex to fit into a lvl 6 character.
On the plus side, many 1st level spells are great to have whatever happens, and some are verbal only, whatever caster you choose.

Rituals
Now that is a great way to expand your utility: because it takes time anyway, it is not really a problem that you have only one arm to complete it because you will never use them in a dangerous situation.
Best ways are
- dipping into a class that gets Rituals (by "best" order: Wizard, Cleric, Bard).
- taking the Ritual Caster feat.
- taking Warlock up to 5 with Tome and related Invocation.

Mobility
Two words here: Monk X and Rogue 2. Other contenders...
- Druid or Ranger for Longstrider/Jump spell
- Mobile feat.

Based on all this, I suggest the following paths.

1. The WIS path
a) Pure Monk, maxed Dex: great mobility, resilience, melee focused.
You can start with the following stats as a Wood Elf: 20 DEX, 16 CON, 18 WIS. You get great AC and DC from the start, you can easily multiclass into anything you want by distributing your remaining 15 and 12 (with bump/feat) into what you aim for. If you want a nova option, choose either Sun Soul or 4 Elements archetype.
+ Sun Soul: radiant ranged attack, Burning Hands upcastable as a 9th level spell
+ 4E: you can select several disciplines that can be novaed on: AOE, push effect, or pull effect.

b)Wood Elf Undying Light Warlock 1 / Sun Soul Monk 5: obvious thematic synergy here, both relying on fire and radiant damage: either start with 15 CHA and take Observant, or start with 16 CHA (and 15 CON) and take Resilient: Constitution.

c) Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric 1 / 4 Elements Monk 5: you get Bless to help your to-hit, and you can start with 19 WIS (18+1) and 19 CON (17+2), and 16 DEX. Shillelagh makes you SAD for attacks, and you can max WIS and CON on the first ASI so you get respectable AC even with a "just good" DEX.

d) Half-Elf 4 Elements Monk 5 / Nature Cleric 1 / Undying Light Warlock 1 (note that makes 7 levels so Warlock will come last): the best of both worlds once you reach level 7.
You can start with 19 WIS (18+1), 16 DEX (15+1), 17 CON and 18(16+2) CHA. Spend the first ASI on evening both WIS and CON, or take Resilient: Wisdom and don't bother with Constitution.
Everything triggers off your Wisdom. Every Sacred Flame, Green Flame Blade or Burning Hands gets extra +4 damage, you can cast Bless because you are using a quarterstaff and it's a perfect use for your concentration and you can even cast an occasional Healing Words thanks to 2 long-rest slot and 1 short-rest slot.

Options: Nature Cleric (favored) or Druid 1 to get Shillelagh

2. The CHA path
a) Blade Warlock 5 / Fighter 1: Half-Elf obviously, with focus on Strength. With your stats you will have no problem surviving, and most good Warlock spells can be dealt with even one-handed (cast them just before the fight). Although with such good stats, Warcaster ASAP is an obvious choice.
b) Vengeance Paladin 6: straight Pally, good all-around, with oncoming lvl 7 feature to help chase the big enemy.

3. The DEX path
a) Battlemaster Fighter: yeah, that's what you played. XD You could spend all ASIs on feats though, and build this as a DEX / CHA / CON build: take Inspiring Leader feat, Ritual Caster, and you will be versatile AND dangerous. Option: Barbarian dip for Unarmored Defense.
b) Swashbuckler Rogue: deadly grappler here: same DEX & CHA build, to provide a great boost to Initiative. Keep STR as your third score, take Expertise in Athletics. You can now go pick up a guy and pull him back in the midst of your allies. Although that's the only thing you can do with one arm XD. One level of Monk resolves everything (unarmored works with any body part, so headbutt is legit). :)

4. The INT path (High Elf)
a) pure Bladesinger Wizard: you can be absolutely deadly here.
b) Bladesinger 2 / Arcane Trickster 4: you just pick up the better AC, concentration and spell choice from Wizard before starting to pump your Rogue career.

5. The overly stupid path
Human Draconic Sorcerer 1 / Monk 1 / Bladesinger Wizard 2 / Undying Light Warlock 1 / Fighter or Rogue 1.
STR 10 DEX 19 CON 16 INT 18 WIS 13 CHA 17.

This character relies solely on Green Flame Blade (or Booming Blade when needed), using slots on Shield (and maybe later Mirror Image) or Burning Hands.
You will have to choose the one among all classes which you want to pursue for the remaining...
- Swashbuckler Rogue is probably the best (better single target damage, better Initiative, defensive features), for your concept at least.
- Battlemaster Fighter is the next best thing: Action Surge, manoeuvers, extra ASI at level 6. Extra Attack is wasted though.
As a side note, mechanically, Draconic Sorcerer would probably be the best: you get Mirror Image and Slow/Haste, +CHA to fire damage, more slots and Quicken+Subtle metamagics... But it is too far away from your concept which is, at core, a martial with just some tricks (you could restrain yourself to blow every resource on just Shield and Quicken cantrip though).

Use the first ASI to bump Dexterity and Charisma to even stats, Resilient next if you feel it needed otherwise Warcaster ASAP, then whatever.

What, "this is a joke build"? Of course it is... XD But the worst of it? It would actually work because these are such good stats anyway.

You get 21 AC (Draconic+Bladesong), good all-around defenses except STR saves (no modifier, no proficiency, unless you chose Fighter and started as it) and WIS (which you will resolve by taking Resilient: Wisdom next), unless you started as a Warlock, which is suggested because let's face it, you will take Warcaster anyways, and you have great concentration already, so for such a limited spellcasting you don't really need proficiency in Constitution saves, at least until much later.

On a single hit with a Rapier Green Flame Blade, (if you chose Rogue), at level 6, you inflict (1d8+4) + 1d8 (spell effect) + 3 (Warlock) + 1d8 (Rogue) damage on the first target, and 1d8 + 4 + 3 on the second target.
Averages respectively 20,5 on first target, 11,5 on the second.

If you went Draconic Sorcerer 6 it would become gravy: in addition to the bump damage of Green Flame Blade because you would be >11th character, you got to even your Charisma and Dex, additional Charisma bonus damage and Quicken.
So you could nova with 2 Green Flame Blade, amounting to 2*((1d8+5+2d8+4+4)+1d8 on one target, and 2*(2d8+4+4+4) on the second. Averages 59,5 on first target, 42 on the second. Just for a cost of 2 Sorcery points. ;)

Also you could make a decent Grappler thanks to Rogue's Expertise in Athletics. Wonder if it would be allowed, with Warcaster, to cast a spell such as Shocking Grasp on a grappled enemy.
Otherwise, don't be a human, be a minotaur: its horns are defined as a weapon, so you coud actually cast GFB with it...

Sorry for this very long post, I hope it gave you some nice ideas (my personal choice for a "true" character would probably be one of the 4E Monk builds, easy to level and fun to play. My second choice would be obviously the borderline crazy multiclass, just for the fun of it). Enjoy!

EDIT: By the way, I realize you are "resurrected", not "reincarnated". So what is your race in the end?

The Shadowdove
2016-12-04, 02:28 PM
Hi!

EDIT: By the way, I realize you are "resurrected", not "reincarnated". So what is your race in the end?

I am a variant human. Monk is my favorite class, and I know it's perfect, but I am playing a monk in a different weekly group already and am going to skip this time.

Thank you and everyone else for all of the builds!

I forgot about the blade singer. That's a cool option as well. What kind of play style and necessary feats would one use?

I am also favoring EK and paladin.

The weapon feats PDF from wotc has caught my attention too.