PDA

View Full Version : Havocker witch vs Arcanist (both with a sorcerer dip) for a blaster/X caster

D4rkh0rus
2016-12-03, 04:35 PM
I'm trying to make a character that focuses on evocation spells, the problem is that I can't decide on either, they both have good abilities:

The havocker witch has an at will 30ft (120 by burning a lvl 1 spell) range blast that deals 1d6/2 levels, maxing out at 10d6 at lvl 20 (due tot he dip) as well as having a familiar (improved into that fan mouse and retrain for interweave blasts, or just fire them separately. The problem is the BAB. Bad progression is bad.
They have a low amount of feats (assume human, by lvl 7 there's 5 feats, in no order, interweave blast, imp familiar, spell focus evoc, spell specializ, intensify spell)

This would allow me to forgot my lvl 1 slots to have a single target attack that deals decent damage, and then I can AoE my enemies with fireball or fire snake.
It also has a better progression than arcanist

On the other hand, arcanist gets a few extra toys (arcane exploits for familiar, potent magic, dimensional slide and school understanding) they get potent magic for an extra +2 to cl or dc, they also get school understanding for the admixture ability. And more realiability due to their prepared/spontaneous mechanics.
Slide is a good gtfa mechanic.

Another option, that can work with either, is instead of having an improved familiar, they can use those feats to get heighten spell, trade focus Evo for conj, trade spell spec. For tatto (lose 1 overall Cl for the special spell, but that cl left is applied to all evocations, although there aren't that many), and trade 2 feats for augment summons and ferocious summons (sorc orc bloodline gives you Orc blood) and use the heightened mount into alter summon spell combo to get 1 or 2 ferocious mini eidolons, and still have blasting capabilities (if a bit lower due to lose of spell slots dedicated to this).

Not sure what to take, what better, etc. I wanna be able to call myself a blaster (so not just going angel summoner and calling it a day) but I kinda want a fall back when those 15d6+30 fireballs are overkill (or just simply not worth it cause there's only 1 target)