PDA

View Full Version : Earth on D&D?

flappeercraft
2016-12-03, 04:45 PM
So I have heard about there being a plane of earth in D&D not as in the elemental plane of earth but as in a plane of earth the planet we live in. Is this true? Source?

Echch
2016-12-03, 04:54 PM
Well, it's commonly known that the plane of shadows allows you to go to various D&D settings and eve the D20 Modern setting, but I'm not sure if the D20 Modern Setting is actually refered to as "Earth".

Bronk
2016-12-03, 05:05 PM
In the old Dragon Magazines, Ed Greenwood (who created the Forgotten Realms) had a series of articles called 'The Wizard's Three' that described meetings between various wizards, usually including Elminster and Mordenkainen, as they had meetings in his house, on Earth.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-03, 05:11 PM
In the old Dragon Magazines, Ed Greenwood (who created the Forgotten Realms) had a series of articles called 'The Wizard's Three' that described meetings between various wizards, usually including Elminster and Mordenkainen, as they had meetings in his house, on Earth.Forgotten Realms also has the descendents of abducted ancient Egyptians.

When the Imaskari stole thousands of people from another world to be their slaves, the prisoners brought their faith, and their deities, the Mulhorandi pantheon, with them.

flappeercraft
2016-12-03, 05:23 PM
Now that I remember I'm pretty sure I've heard of an adventure where the PC's have to recover St. Cuthbert's mace of earth, you guys know where it's from?

Yahzi
2016-12-03, 06:38 PM
So I have heard about there being a plane of earth in D&D not as in the elemental plane of earth but as in a plane of earth the planet we live in. Is this true? Source?
Huh. That sounds like a line from my book. :smallbiggrin:

I didn't know anyone else had done it, though.

Eldan
2016-12-03, 06:40 PM
I'm pretty sure that apart from Ed Greenwood meeting Elmister, there was also the odd mention in Planescape.

nyjastul69
2016-12-03, 06:41 PM
Now that I remember I'm pretty sure I've heard of an adventure where the PC's have to recover St. Cuthbert's mace of earth, you guys know where it's from?

Dragon Magazine #100 adventure, The City Beyond the Gate, has the PC's retrieve the MoSC from London.

Edit: Changed Dungeon mag to Dragon Mag.

flappeercraft
2016-12-03, 07:00 PM
Dungeon Magazine #100 adventure, The City Beyond the Gate, has the PC's retrieve the MoSC from London.

Ok thank you

Kish
2016-12-03, 07:06 PM
In the OD&D module The Immortal Storm, the PCs (a group of fledgling gods, as per the Immortal Set rules) have to retrieve the essence of smell from "technology" by going to a strange world where magic doesn't work. They land on a subway in Harlem during the middle of the night, and immediately get mugged and possibly recruited by a street gang.

Thurbane
2016-12-03, 07:28 PM
Dungeon Magazine #100 adventure, The City Beyond the Gate, has the PC's retrieve the MoSC from London.

I loved that adventure back in the day...wonder if anyone did a 3E conversion?

nyjastul69
2016-12-03, 08:32 PM
I loved that adventure back in the day...wonder if anyone did a 3E conversion?

I don't know if there is a conversion, but I would like to point out it's Dragon and not Dungeon magazine #100. I edited my original post to reflect my error.

Thealtruistorc
2016-12-05, 07:37 PM
Pathfinder does this quite a bit in various adventures.

Reign of Winter Parts 5 and 6 both have sections that take place on Earth, one of which pits the players against WWI military and the other of which places them on the south pole (admittedly, the second part doesn't really have a very "fantasy on earth" feel.

Strange Aeons has several ties to Earth, both in Cthulhu's presence on the planet and the appearance of an NPC who originally hails from Earth but has since departed for the Dreamlands.

Afgncaap5
2016-12-05, 11:30 PM
I don't know as much about Greyhawk as I'd like, but isn't this sort of assumed from Greyhawk cosmology? Something like, Greyhawk takes place in the world of Oerth, and there are five or so parallel worlds that all exist in a continuum from "Almost thoroughly magical" to "Almost not magical at all", and I think Earth is the most magic-less of them, while Oerth is, if not the most magical, near the end of the list. Something like that?

I think the "Going to London for the Mace of St. Cuthbert" adventure was based with that in mind, but I might be mixing two half-remembered things together.

Karl Aegis
2016-12-05, 11:51 PM
Rakshasa were straight from India in an earlier edition. It said so in their description.

Khedrac
2016-12-06, 03:38 AM
I don't know as much about Greyhawk as I'd like, but isn't this sort of assumed from Greyhawk cosmology? Something like, Greyhawk takes place in the world of Oerth, and there are five or so parallel worlds that all exist in a continuum from "Almost thoroughly magical" to "Almost not magical at all", and I think Earth is the most magic-less of them, while Oerth is, if not the most magical, near the end of the list. Something like that?

I think the "Going to London for the Mace of St. Cuthbert" adventure was based with that in mind, but I might be mixing two half-remembered things together.

This - and one of Gary Gygax's players ran a character who if not from Boot Hill (old Wild West setting) certainly had been there and was a gunslinger (Murylynd I think).

inuyasha
2016-12-06, 11:39 AM
Rakshasa were straight from India in an earlier edition. It said so in their description.

And don't forget the giant Sumatran rats!

Prime32
2016-12-06, 08:34 PM
Likewise, IIRC "Forgotten Realms" was called that because its setting used to be accessible from Earth, but we forgot about it.

Eisfalken
2016-12-06, 08:41 PM
This - and one of Gary Gygax's players ran a character who if not from Boot Hill (old Wild West setting) certainly had been there and was a gunslinger (Murylynd I think).

Yep, it was Murlynd, a paladin demi-god who brought back or made a pair of six-shooters which magically replenished themselves.

Dragon had an article on his paladins, who also use firearms (which they called "firebrands"). Strange group.

Thurbane
2016-12-06, 09:36 PM
Yep, it was Murlynd, a paladin demi-god who brought back or made a pair of six-shooters which magically replenished themselves.

Dragon had an article on his paladins, who also use firearms (which they called "firebrands"). Strange group.

I believe there is a section in EttRoG that has some 3.5 stats on Murlynd's six-guns.

Khedrac
2016-12-07, 03:47 AM

Has he made it to demi-deity status now? Last time I checked he was still only a Quasi-deity , so that's a definite improvement...

I wonder if Heward, Keoghtom etc. have also gained status.

atemu1234
2016-12-07, 09:26 AM
I'm fairly certain Gygax included it as Yrth, which was a nonmagical counterpart to Oerth, that developed into/was earth.

I remember mostly because I used that as a justification for an in-character book report that I wrote an hour before it was due. I needed to be in costume, I claimed to be a Drow Wizard in disguise.

In my defense, it worked.

Jay R
2016-12-07, 10:48 AM
There is such a plane in your game if and only if your DM decides to include one.

My first original D&D world had a space/time nexus that connected other worlds. On our world, it was located at the Tooth of Time, at Philmont Scout Ranch.

This was before the first published description of Gygax's planes in The Dragon #8, July 1976.

Last year I played a game that took us into the modern world of the Movie Bubba-Hotep, where we met John F. Kennedy and Elvis.

Falcon X
2016-12-07, 10:54 AM
If you have any questions about this "Plane of Earth," feel free to message me. Studying it's ways has been an active part of my life for the better part of three decades :smallwink:

I remember it spoken of that one of the big name wizards (Elminster? Mordenkainen?) has traveled to Earth a few times.

In 2e, one of the big focuses was the idea of making any world possible be accessible through inter-planar travel. Planescape and Spelljammer were the two solutions to this. There is a good chance that Earth was able to be traveled to in a like manner.
This is supported by there being so many of the gods from Earth pantheons on the planes.
- The monotheistic gods present a bit of a problem for this concept. However, that gets into some high planar theory with no real answers.

Segev
2016-12-07, 10:56 AM
In the old Dragon Magazines, Ed Greenwood (who created the Forgotten Realms) had a series of articles called 'The Wizard's Three' that described meetings between various wizards, usually including Elminster and Mordenkainen, as they had meetings in his house, on Earth.

This reminds me of the potentially apocryphal story of Bill Murray randomly walking up to a stranger, blatantly stealing a French fry, eating it in front of him, winking, and saying, "Nobody will ever believe you," before walking away.

I could see a bunch of mighty wizards deciding on a random guy's house somewhere in the multiverse as their secret meeting space. They can lock down any effort he might make to call for help to evict them, and it's not like anybody would believe him when he tried to talk about it. Why would such powerful and potentially famous people pick HIS house to meet at?

Echch
2016-12-07, 12:18 PM
- The monotheistic gods present a bit of a problem for this concept. However, that gets into some high planar theory with no real answers.

I believe that at least in 3.5, a monotheistic god is simply a rank 20 deity (and the only deity in the setting), and I'm in doubt that anything that the monotheistic books state the respective deity to have done would require it to exceed that ability.

Eldan
2016-12-07, 01:22 PM
This reminds me of the potentially apocryphal story of Bill Murray randomly walking up to a stranger, blatantly stealing a French fry, eating it in front of him, winking, and saying, "Nobody will ever believe you," before walking away.

I could see a bunch of mighty wizards deciding on a random guy's house somewhere in the multiverse as their secret meeting space. They can lock down any effort he might make to call for help to evict them, and it's not like anybody would believe him when he tried to talk about it. Why would such powerful and potentially famous people pick HIS house to meet at?

I think one of the reasons was that Earth was thoroughly nonmagical and therefore they couldn't start any destructive magical duels.

Inevitability
2016-12-07, 01:26 PM
I think one of the reasons was that Earth was thoroughly nonmagical and therefore they couldn't start any destructive magical duels.

Don't some of the stories have them casting spells, though?

Agent 451
2016-12-07, 08:13 PM

Well, he did crash a couples' engagement photos earlier this year (http://people.com/celebrity/bill-murray-crashes-engagement-photos/), at least one bachelor party in the recent past. So maybe?

Bullet06320
2016-12-08, 03:35 AM
Likewise, IIRC "Forgotten Realms" was called that because its setting used to be accessible from Earth, but we forgot about it.

I don't recall the exact source, but some where in Ed Greenwoods writings, there is a portal from some where in the realms to a farm in Kansas

Buufreak
2016-12-08, 05:12 AM
I don't recall the exact source, but some where in Ed Greenwoods writings, there is a portal from some where in the realms to a farm in Kansas

Is it reached by tornado?

Bullet06320
2016-12-08, 08:07 AM
Is it reached by tornado?

lol, no, that's how you get to the Land of Oz, from there though, magic should work normally, lol

Falcon X
2016-12-08, 04:48 PM
I believe that at least in 3.5, a monotheistic god is simply a rank 20 deity (and the only deity in the setting), and I'm in doubt that anything that the monotheistic books state the respective deity to have done would require it to exceed that ability.
That's a good quick-fix for gaming purposes, but it doesn't answer where the monotheistic gods fit into the cosmology, where their realms are, and why they don't just dominate the other gods. My favorite theory is the Ordial Plane (http://mimir.net/mapinfinity/ordial.html) theory.

Afgncaap5
2016-12-08, 10:46 PM
lol, no, that's how you get to the Land of Oz, from there though, magic should work normally, lol

Yeah, but only Glinda and The Wizard have licenses to legally use magic (discounting things like Princess Ozma's one-a-day wish belt.)