PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic Barbarian Totem: brainstorming

FrancisBean
2016-12-03, 06:19 PM
Short version: I want to brainstorm suitable ideas for a Totem Warrior barbarian archetype with an oceanic emphasis. Things which might make sense for an Orca, Squid, Clam, or Shark Totem Spirit.

I've got an old favorite character I've played in 3 editions so far. He's an island barbarian from a head-hunting, pearl-diving, outrigger-canoe tribe. In each edition I've found suitable ways to build him for this background. (Taking the Endurance feat in 3.5 for pearl-diving RP was totally worth it.) 5e is making it harder, and I'm looking to brainstorm ideas for homebrew Totem Warrior abilities I can toss at my DM for a satisfactory build.

No idea too weird! If he thinks it's too strong, or too far out in the boonies, I'm sure he'll nix it. I'm looking for a big list of ideas we can haggle down to stuff he'll let me do.

Just to keep everybody's ideas in the same organizational style, can I get suggestions which include the Spirit (E.g., Orca), any minor physical attributes (E.g., Bear warriors are often hairy and thick-skinned), and the 3rd, 6th, and 14th level abilities of the Totem Spirit?

EDIT: I've been reminded that the 10th lvl ability is still Spirit Totem based, so it could be something other than commune with nature if that makes sense. (I just got pointed at a resource which suggests a water-breathing spell option.)

mgshamster
2016-12-03, 06:41 PM
Go totem warrior and refluff.

Level 3 Wolf becomes dolphin pack hunting.

Level 6 Eagle becomes dolphin echolocation.

Level 11 Tiger (SCAG) becomes dolphin charge.

Make him a Triton (Volvo's Guide) or a Water Genasi (Elemental Evil Players Guide).

Also might check this out: Aquatic Barbarian (http://richplayingitforward.blogspot.com/2014/10/5th-edition-aquatic-class-builds.html?m=1)

Addaran
2016-12-03, 06:43 PM
Orca sounds very barbarian/dangerous. They are big so IMO, the 3rd bear totem ability works.

The 6th one is the one that works out of rage and is usually more utility oriented. Maybe something like swim speed and breath underwater (or if it's too magical/strong, at least X2 or X3 the time you can hold your breath). For 14th, wolf totem sounds good, you're big and knock them down.

Not sure about minor physical attributes, don't know much about Orcas and what's the most "Orca". Maybe completly hairless?

Easiest and most balanced way is to just cheery pick from the 5 existing totem abilities those that make sense for your spirit. And said they all come from your single aquatic totem. Clam could go well with 3rd and 14th bear for example, since it's very defensive.
Or cheery pick from the 5 existing abilities and they each come from a different aquatic animal. Clam = 3rd totem, Shark = scent and/or swim abilities for 6th and Orca = 14th wolf. So now you take inspiration from all the aquatic life.

Just a silly idea, but a Squid ability that lets you cast darkness/fog cloud in water would be funny to see a barbarian do. XD

FrancisBean
2016-12-03, 06:52 PM
Also might check this out: Aquatic Barbarian (http://richplayingitforward.blogspot.com/2014/10/5th-edition-aquatic-class-builds.html?m=1)

I didn't find that one. Awesome, thanks! Reading now.