PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #348 - The  Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-09-15, 11:30 PM
New comic is up.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-15, 11:32 PM
Cool A new comic is up, i just noticed it, great one Giant!

I love the princess bride, even if I haven't seen the movie since DVD was still a theory.

YokYok, Thats Great.

And once again, Elan Screws it all up.

Wow... First post...

Bardbarian
2006-09-15, 11:34 PM
Considering Princess Bride was on BRAVO when I saw this and I was drinking water at the time, it was "you owe me a keyboard" funny!

--->Thanks!

PS 1st page!!

Kalawaraka
2006-09-15, 11:34 PM
Nice. I love PB

Edit- I am a little disappointed it's another kobold, but it makes the most sense.

Edit edit- first first page.

Seffbasilisk
2006-09-15, 11:35 PM
great comic giant!

Edit: First page? And 4th post? May Pelor shine down on this fever that kept me awake and reading OotS!

...wait. yes. PELOR SHINE DOWN! Get this fever gone!

B-Man
2006-09-15, 11:36 PM
This one was a great one Giant!! ;D

EDIT: FIRST PAGE!! WAHOO!!! [/caps] *phew* That was good!

Dhavaer
2006-09-15, 11:40 PM
Hello. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Hello. You killed my father. Pr...
*stab*

I've had quite enough of that, thank you.

NEO|Phyte
2006-09-15, 11:40 PM
Brilliant. absolutely brilliant.

teratorn
2006-09-15, 11:41 PM
Yes!!! kill kill kill the helpless halfling!

killfxx
Great Comic Whack-A-Wizard and The Princess Bride too funny

First page yeah!!

lapsang
Awesome Princess Bride reference!

EDIT:I made the first page! My Mom will be so proud of me.

Aiani
2006-09-15, 11:42 PM
That was pretty awesome. I love the Princess Bride reference and also the poem that Belkar ripped off in the first panel. Good stuff. You can always count on Elan to let the bad guys know stuff that he shouldn't. ;D

chormin
YESSS!

I love the bluff song [and yes I have tried to use it too]

The strip was worth staying up after work for. Thank you very much.

Bronzeevil
That was awesome. References for the win.

Eighth_Seraph
The bluff song annoys me. I can never write anything worthwhile on the spot like that, so I can completely imagine myself making a bard that dumb. Hence why it annoys me.

First Page! FINALLY!!!

innk
2006-09-15, 11:44 PM
Stupid Elan lol...
Nice one

And ah
first page and all that crap.. =)

edit
oh man i fail at life....
second page.. =|
lol

Hyrael
2006-09-15, 11:45 PM
When I first saw another kobold, I was a little dissapointed. However, I have to admit that we did get a druid, something predicted months ago. everyone was saying that belkar's opposite would be a monk or a cold,efficient sniper ranger. So the giant naturaly did something wacky. I only hope that this kobold swashbuckler is more than a one-note, one-time throwaway joke. I like the princess bride as much as anyone else, dont get me wrong.
Im just saying that pompey and leeky both had awesome intros, particularly leeky. Yokyok's was...meh. funny, yes, but it doesnt seem like actual plot advancement, more like a throwaway joke.
Anyway, I trust rich to make good descisions with this plotline, and who knows, i may come to like Yokyok as much as I like Leeky and Pompey, once I see more of him. i refrian from passing judgement, as it it would be unfair to do so, and its really not my place to do so anyway.

As for the actual humor content of the comic:

lol :D
Great stuff. Im not a particular fan of elan-humor, and even I like this one.

a1057soul
2006-09-15, 11:47 PM
Awesome Giant!. This was actually on Bravo tonight... perfect timing!

:-)
Dan

Ink
2006-09-15, 11:48 PM
Heheh, an Inigo Montoya kobold.. wonder if he uses a four-fingered sword?

I like the bruised and battered Vaarsuvius in the beginning.

BelkarsDagger
2006-09-15, 11:49 PM
OHMYGOD! Thats hilarious! Great comic!

kristineadam
2006-09-15, 11:51 PM
Honestly, I was hoping that one of the dangling threads would get attention rather than a new thread getting spawned.

That said, Princess Bride is one of my favourite movies of all time, so I can wait a little longer on the rest of it. But really, what happened to the cardinal D&D rule of 'Don't split up the party'? I would have thought that Roy's had it backfire on him enough times by now that he would stop doing it.

LordOfNarf
2006-09-15, 11:53 PM
Roy may have a keen tactical mind, but he lacks three thing things, One, trust in the party if they are in weapons range, trust in the party if they are outside of weapons range, and humility to have backup, insted of wlking in to confront the bad guy himself.

TroyXavier
2006-09-15, 11:54 PM
Well a slightly disappointing enemy but a funny comic overall.

TinSoldier
2006-09-15, 11:57 PM
This was my first LOL comic in awhile, even though they have been increasing in quality over the last month or so.

Heheh, an Inigo Montoya kobold.. wonder if he uses a four-fingered sword?

I like the bruised and battered Vaarsuvius in the beginning.I don't know but he is holding it in his left hand...

EmeraldFire
2006-09-15, 11:57 PM
YES, Princess Bride has always been one of my favorite movies since I was a little kid.

*sigh*, maybe it was expecting too much that Elan would learn from his mistakes in comic #4

Solarious
2006-09-15, 11:58 PM
As predicted, the Curse comes to bite Belkar where it hurts the most. ;D

Adeptus
2006-09-16, 12:02 AM
Poor Belkar

I wonder if he'll have to run outside town limits, or be forced to fight in an un-lethal manner (and lose).

Either way, Elan is now on his own. Tragic really, since he could have had a nice foil-duel with the Kobold :) Of course Elan wouldn't interfere in a legitimate duel like that... or something. His bardic sensibilities are getting in the way, I guess.

Rayek
2006-09-16, 12:02 AM
I love it. Yikyik's son and a Princess Bride joke.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-16, 12:03 AM
This is now officially the greatest OOTS strip of ALL TIME. I sat there, mouth agape as I saw Yokyok say "You killed my father, prepare to die" for at least 2 minutes.

Giant, in my eyes, you are a bijallion times better than that stupid sliced bread idea.

Hyrael
2006-09-16, 12:05 AM
Poor Belkar

I wonder if he'll have to run outside town limits, or be forced to fight in an un-lethal manner (and lose).

Either way, Elan is now on his own. Tragic really, since he could have had a nice foil-duel with the Kobold :) Of course Elan wouldn't interfere in a legitimate duel like that... or something. His bardic sensibilities are getting in the way, I guess.

AHA!
Now that the belkster is out of the way, Nale will appear out of the shadows or something to confront elan. he'll say something like "Hello brother. we meet again. For the last time." or something like that.

Corp
2006-09-16, 12:08 AM
Nice comic, love the Princess Bride ref. Though would have thought that Belkar would have a better clue to the gender of V (personally don't see much proof for the male side). And Elan of could tries to help and ends up doing far more damage. Maybe it's time for the team to feed him false information. ;)

larnman2
2006-09-16, 12:11 AM
I love running gags!

Solmage
2006-09-16, 12:14 AM
Heh! Loved more princess' brides jokes! Yakyak FTW :)

Whack-a-wizard coin-operated game comming to an arcade near you soon! 8)

Also, I think I want an elan-on-a-stick...

Zebasiz
2006-09-16, 12:21 AM
That was just great!
LOLed for what seemed like HOURS! @.@
(Though possibly just a few minutes)
Inigo Montoya FTW!

krai
2006-09-16, 12:31 AM
You know Belkar does have 6 fingers :D

Flak_Razorwill
2006-09-16, 12:40 AM
Just epic. Soooo goddamned epic.

I really didn't care for that movie. I liked Men in Tights better. Go Mel.

Taren
2006-09-16, 12:41 AM
Yokyok was genius, but he needs the accent. It's not quite as funny without an accent.

TinSoldier
2006-09-16, 12:44 AM
Yokyok was genius, but he needs the accent. It's not quite as funny without an accent.Because, unlike some other Yokyoks, I can speak with a Koboldian accent.

Tmabbbb
2006-09-16, 12:44 AM
Hilarious!!!! I really did LOL, and that doesn't happen too much. I don't know what Princess Bride is though. Still, WOOT THIRD PAGE!

Winged One
2006-09-16, 12:48 AM
Karmariffic! ;D

TinSoldier
2006-09-16, 12:49 AM
Hilarious!!!! I really did LOL, and that doesn't happen too much. I don't know what Princess Bride is though. Still, WOOT THIRD PAGE!One of the greatest movies of all time. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/)

Another link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Princess_Bride_%28film%29)

Kinneus
2006-09-16, 12:49 AM
Ah, copyright infringement. So much fun.
Also, uh, I hope V has a lot of hitpoints... it seems like he's in trouble.

dragonspar
2006-09-16, 12:50 AM
nice princess bride reference, and another elan saying way to freaking much.

woot, third page, shows what surfing late at night when drunk will do you! :)

TinSoldier
2006-09-16, 12:50 AM
Ah, copyright infringement. So much fun. ??? Wha? ???

Where?

sbwilson
2006-09-16, 01:03 AM
Meh...for some reason this one didn't do anything for me. I love The Princess Bride (ever since it first came out) - but the joke fell flat with me for some reason. Same with Elan's bard song.

Guess I've just become a jaded OOTSer... :-/

Rygar
2006-09-16, 01:10 AM
So awesome! Elan ruining the plan pluse a wonderful Diego Montoya (I think I got that name right) bit!

Blood
2006-09-16, 01:13 AM
Princess Bride for the win! Awesome job, Giant.

Dav
2006-09-16, 01:19 AM
So awesome! Elan ruining the plan pluse a wonderful Diego Montoya bit!Inigo Montoya or his evil twin brother, Diego? ;)

Nightfall
2006-09-16, 01:21 AM
At this point, if I were Belkar (and thank the gods I'm not!) I'd think seriously about investing in some +3 duct tape for Elan's mouth! ;)

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-09-16, 01:22 AM
Heh...we all just knew that curse was going to come back to bite Belkar in the worst way possible.

I was kind of hoping the last Linear member would, like Leeky, be something we haven't really seen before on OotS - maybe a straight monk or something. But this is pretty good too...especially if this is actually the swashbuckler class from Complete Warrior...

Martok
2006-09-16, 01:30 AM
[slides to floor from laughing]

YES!!!! Brilliant Rich, absolutely brilliant!

The movie was just on earlier today too, so it's been fresh in my mind.

I honestly don't think I've ever laughed so hard at an OOTS strip as this one! Woot!

Bakta
2006-09-16, 01:35 AM
Arrrrr!

A really fake Spanish accent Kobold speaker

Why do the accent makes it even more disturbng, considering it's a comic?

Dread pirate Batka ::)

Charity322
2006-09-16, 01:48 AM
Oh dear, the joke was so bad it was funny. ;D

I love the Princess Bride. There was a time in my childhood when my brother and I watched it every week and practically had it memorised hehe.

I have to wonder, however, if this is Belkar's evil opposite. It would be really funny if Belkar's real evil opposite that Nale spent time selecting for dramatic effect got upstaged by Yikyik's son seeking his killer.

If he is the evil opposite, he could be LG, only in with the LG to avenge his father. Maybe he'll turn on them after killing Belkar.

Sadly for Yokyok, however, I don't see him being a long lasting char. He doesn't seem to have much of a character beyond the joke. I guess kobolds are always expendable to the villain lol. But how will Belkar kill him? ;)

Solophoenix
2006-09-16, 01:51 AM
Literally laugh out loud funny! Genius!

Solara
2006-09-16, 01:52 AM
Oh man this one was fun! Even for those of us that didn't catch the Princess Bride reference (never seen it myself) Yokoyok's entrance and the 'You killed my father' was hilarious. (And, er, it's not copyright infringement. Or if it is then Princess Bride itself is guilty of the same thing; that line's been around a long time.)

Somehow I don't think Yokyok is long for this world, and if the 'running gag' thing keeps going I suspect Belkar will have a new hat soon. :)

(Of course there's that pesky curse to consider, but that just means he'll have to be creative in how he does it...I wonder if there are any owlbears around? :) )

But anyway, whatever the outcome, ever since the battle with with Miko I've been wanting to see Belkar in another solo fight, so needless to say I'm looking forward to th enext few updates.

Aerysil1
2006-09-16, 01:53 AM
The last few panels strangely reminded me of Roy frightening Nale away in http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0064.html

EloquentRune
2006-09-16, 01:54 AM
Genius Pure Brilliance

The Princess Bride and OotS combined its amazing

and laugh out loud funny

yuccadude
2006-09-16, 01:57 AM
How ironic, a running gag that in turn causes Belkar to run...one can almost taste the iron...y

Illsbane
2006-09-16, 02:02 AM
This installment rocks! ^_^ Belkar's facial expression just before he had to run away for his life ... The fact that the little psycho had to run away! Delicious.

The Extinguisher
2006-09-16, 02:07 AM
Charity, I think your on to something.

Also, if I was Belkar, I would have said something about the fasionable headgear that YokYok's father was made into.

Trobby
2006-09-16, 02:08 AM
Poor Belkar...he's set himself up to be the allmighty tool of killing, and now he can't even do that much.

(Spoiler)Though I wouldn't be suprised if he could find a place IN town to have a straight fight. Perhaps say, inside the Theive's guild, where the town does not reach? Also, I think YokYok might be a Duelist.

Y'know, I think for one blissful second, Belkar might've even forgotten entirely that he wasn't allowed to deal any lethal damage in the city...heh...which means Elan's song came a complete suprise.

theKOT
2006-09-16, 02:13 AM
Personally, I love running gags, even when they lead to *snicker* running. Seriously though, top-notch stuff.

Exachix
2006-09-16, 02:20 AM
Weeeow! The Princess Bride quote!

That's made my morning.

Eli_Gamir
2006-09-16, 02:28 AM
HAHA, and I just watched the Princess Bride a couple hours earlier. Great comic!

HealytheHealslime
2006-09-16, 02:30 AM
Haha, great comic.
Highlights include: Belkar's little rhyme at the beginning, the princess bride quote, and Elan's abortive attempt at bardic music.

kagato3
2006-09-16, 02:32 AM
I'm begining to think Belkar's counterpart will end up being a running gag like the drumer from Spinal Tap

Nerd-o-rama
2006-09-16, 02:47 AM
As soon as I saw the title, I knew what was going to happen. Mostly because I just watched The Princess Bride yesterday.

"I want my father back, you sonofabitch!"

Also, Elan really needs to learn the meaning of the term "scan."

drkdstryer
2006-09-16, 02:54 AM
Best. Comic. Ever.

The Princess Bride is SUCH a good movie. I was in stitches the whole comic.

Smoke_Rulz
2006-09-16, 02:57 AM
God yes. XD Inigo Montoya for the win! Good reference, Rich.

CockroachTeaParty
2006-09-16, 03:41 AM
Ah... and the Linear Guild is complete once more.

I was thinking of watching The Princess Bride the other day. I think this is a sign. To the Cliffs of Insanity!

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-16, 04:17 AM
hahahaha, thanks for the links. I have never seen the Princess Bride before but now I understand what's the reference you said ;D

OVerall, it's being hilarious ;D The way Belkar stops Elan from aiding V, saying he had to stay there away from the danger while he enjoys the wack-a-wizard buwahahahaha

And I was NEVER expecting that, hahahaha, when will the Kobolds AND Elan learn ;D

Most Exxxxxcelent ;D

inthesto
2006-09-16, 04:20 AM
Thumbs up for a tilt of the hat to my favorite book.

Midos
2006-09-16, 04:41 AM
Well done Mr Burlew, well done.

That made me smile all the way through.

And as for Yokyok, i can imagine Morgenstern would be proud!

So thanks again and keep up the good work!

p.s he would have liked the trees strikeing back against mankind as well. ;D

bosssmiley
2006-09-16, 04:47 AM
Alfred Joyce Kilmer reference, Belkar displaying that violent != dumb and a Kobold "Princess Bride" reference. GJ Giant. 8)

efi
2006-09-16, 04:48 AM
Stupid running gag! ;D :D ;)

Miklus
2006-09-16, 04:48 AM
I didn't get the "Princess Bride" ref because i have never seen that movie. I guess i should!

Could someone PLEAZE make an animation of belkar
running, with his little feet going a mile a minute?

Freshmeat
2006-09-16, 05:12 AM
If you ask me, this is one of the best comics in a few weeks. That sixth panel was absolutely hilarous. ;D

Felinoid
2006-09-16, 05:13 AM
I have to agree with pretty much everything Belkar says in this strip, most especially "STOP SAYING THAT!" And as much as I like Elan, I think Belkar needs to stab him, at least once, preferably when it's all over. "So, Elan's safe now? Good. *stabstabstab* You idiot! Why do we put up with you?! *kick*"
Ah, bloodthirstyness appeased. :)

fwiffo
2006-09-16, 05:31 AM
Yokyok was amusing, but Elan's song gag was forced. So, overall, a so-so installment, which hopefully will almost finish the "too heavy on idiot plotting" set up.

Freshmeat
2006-09-16, 05:37 AM
Yokyok was amusing, but Elan's song gag was forced.

I'll have to agree that the punchlines haven't really been all that funny lately.
I find that the real jokes (for me at least) can usually be found in the middle of the comic, not at the end.
Layered comics: fun for the whole family.

ref
2006-09-16, 05:43 AM
YokYok Montoya. Cool.

And hey, Elan could have saved Belkar. Yeah, Elan is Stupid, Belkar shouldn't be saved. But oh well.

Soniku
2006-09-16, 05:57 AM
:-/ I have to agree that the bluff song wasn't that funny...

...But other than that I loved it! Elans int must be like, 4... How can that be? He wouldn't be able to speak properly :P

Hototo
2006-09-16, 06:06 AM
Sweet, but now I wonder if Belkar's unwillingness to help aid V is going to lead to V's demise. He is in a fairly tough place. Oh Belkar, sad times.

Noneoyabizzness
2006-09-16, 06:56 AM
the princess bride joke was done to death, but the fun part of this is elan.

" think you have the wrong person."
"he's talking to me, idiot."
"Oh yeah! ok then that would make sense"

Heads_or_Tails
2006-09-16, 07:00 AM
While personally I prefered the last few comics this one was still good, in spite of my inability to recognise the Princess Bride reference.

Blaznak
2006-09-16, 07:06 AM
Once again Elan shines through as uber cool!

You have to love him learning a quick lesson from Belkar and, perhaps, using it to teach Belkar one!

I know people think/he seems to exude/Int is his dump stat, but Elan still seems to be clever in a very funny way!

Huzzah for Elan!

Beelzebub1111
2006-09-16, 07:12 AM
ahh...the princess bride...such a wonderful reference.

klinneivo
2006-09-16, 07:29 AM
Heh. Princess Bride= Funny

The_Weredragon
2006-09-16, 07:32 AM
Hehe... I wonder if Elan can save Belkar... ou maybe Durkan ?

Pvednes
2006-09-16, 07:42 AM
I'm pretty sure Belkar was genuinely going to kill the kobold, but Elan intentionally reminded him just in time.

Allandaros
2006-09-16, 07:45 AM
I swear, my hand to God, I was reading The Princess Bride literally moments before I saw the comic.

Giant, you have Won the Match.

garida
2006-09-16, 07:48 AM
For some reason about halfway through Elan's song I picture an imaginary Chorus backing him up.

JMalone
2006-09-16, 07:50 AM
This comic is made of intense amounts of "Win" and "Awesome."

Also, if that curse wasn't there, I think Belker would be wearing a new hat, if you catch my drift...

Marcyss
2006-09-16, 08:02 AM
Montoya.

*giggle*

I'm so glad that i was made to read the book...
heheheee

Albion
2006-09-16, 08:09 AM
Princess Bride? What Princess Bride?! Oh well! :) And don't answer that, it's already been answered, I just meant that I haven't heard of any "Princess Bride" before this thread. I laughed my arse off at Yokyok son of Yikyik anyway, so not everything has to be all that... groundbreaking? Innovative? Grand? Over-flashy? I could do even without the PB reference

Things are looking really bad. I don't know who'll save V. And Roy. Still, actually, lots of possibilities. ;)

LadyOfTheStick
2006-09-16, 08:18 AM
This is most definately in my top five. Hello, my name is Yokyok... :-) Awesome

Nostrabel
2006-09-16, 08:19 AM
I laughed until I falled off my seat... that reference... Princess Bride... (*burst into silly giggle*)

I think everyone has said everything that was to be said.
Great Strip.

ibitak84
2006-09-16, 08:27 AM
Nice comic. Not as good as the other ones this week, but that's because it's impossible to top a character like Leeky. Also, remember that yuk-yuk is likely getting killed anyways (No spoiler, after all, he's a kobold!!), while Windstaff will survive (he simply must be reoccuring, for he's sheer greatness).
Princess Bride is unfortunately not very well known in non-english speaking a countries. And yes, that's inconcievable! It means we miss out on one of the best movies all time.
The Elan song gag did not really fit in there much, but I have to completely disagree that punchlines aren't as funny lately. They have been great! Battle comics are the BEST.

humanpylon
2006-09-16, 08:42 AM
I can't help but wonder if maybe...just maybe...Elan did his song on purpose just to be a smartass and get Belkar in trouble.

tis_tom
2006-09-16, 08:43 AM
Surely cutting off all the limbs of Yokyok doesn't count as 'lethal'?

GO BELKAR!

fithi
2006-09-16, 08:50 AM
*giggle*

"Hello, my name is Yokyok. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Brilliant! Somehow I see him speaking with a Spanish accent...

Much love of the Princess Bride reference!

blackfox
2006-09-16, 09:11 AM
Princess Bride jokes never die. ;D

ibitak84
2006-09-16, 09:30 AM
By the way, what's we see in the fourth panel? I know that one act does change Belkar's alignment away from CE, but he seems to have moved Elan out of the hate colunm.
(Now that I think about it, Belkar's always gotten along with Elan suspiciously well.)

fractal
2006-09-16, 09:43 AM
By the way, what's we see in the fourth panel? I know that one act does change Belkar's alignment away from CE, but he seems to have moved Elan out of the hate colunm.
(Now that I think about it, Belkar's always gotten along with Elan suspiciously well.)
Elan was never in Belkar's hate column. Elan makes Belkar laugh.

Belkar would only hurt Elan if something important was at stake, like quick xp.

hyikim
2006-09-16, 10:15 AM
this one made the top 10!!

hello, my name is yokyok, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Heloisa
2006-09-16, 10:16 AM
Ok, this is officially my all times favorite strip. ;D

Thank you, thank you Rich.

OMG, sooo good!!!

charik
2006-09-16, 10:23 AM
Loved it (although the bluff song is forced), but my favorite was the very end: "Stop SAYING that!" ;D

And I can understand not knowing Kitty Hawk, or NYPD Blue, or CSI, but not knowing The Princess Bride? ??? As a friend once said when a kid didn't recognize a cutout of Han Solo, "That's just poor parenting." :P

garylian
2006-09-16, 10:41 AM
This is one of the funniest comics we've had in a while, and that's saying something. My wife found it posted before I did, and I could hear her cackling from another room.

Brilliant, Giant. Absolutely Brilliant.

Inconceiveable!

EmeraldRose
2006-09-16, 10:46 AM
Oh that is so awesome! My husband saw it first and laughed out loud! How great! I just watched the Princess Bride with my 3 year old last night for the first time, and he went to bed with his sword talking about giants and saving princesses..and how cool the heroes were...and...and...

;D

edit: my son's first time, I've seen it millions...

Mr_Shrubber
2006-09-16, 10:53 AM
Belkar's Linear Guild opposite is a kobold (again)?

INCONCEIVABLE! ;D

Wait, somebody already said that? Oh well. Bring on the rodents of unusual size!

pudgimelon
2006-09-16, 11:06 AM
Poor Belkar

Belkar can't run out of town. The curse also triggers if he gets too far away from Roy.

soozenw
2006-09-16, 11:15 AM
ah god..the princess bride. oh that was great...

Faramir
2006-09-16, 11:23 AM
Is it just me, or do running gags get even funnier when the characters start noticing and getting annoyed by them? :)

As for the PB reference, still yukyukking it up...

Aidan305
2006-09-16, 11:27 AM
Loved the PB reference in this comic. Something's bothering me though.

I was just rereading the comic when I noticed panel 4. Is it just me or does Belkar seem, if only slightly, concerned for Elan's health? His line about needing to protect Elan doesn't make sense. After all, he's already given a reason for them to stay put when talking about the game of whack-a-wizard. The next is unecessary.

Could this be the beginning of change in Belkar?

Dudukain
2006-09-16, 11:40 AM
So...Awesome...

Sebastian
2006-09-16, 11:42 AM
"I think I shall never see
a beating as lovely
as that handed out by a tree"

Eh, eh, I would have never thought that Belkar could be such poetic. :)

Daedrous Avari
2006-09-16, 11:47 AM
Go Princess Bride Refrences!

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2006-09-16, 11:51 AM
Yokyok.

Yokyok.

Why Yokyok? It could've been Yelkar, and I would've said the same thing, but still.

Yokyok?

Kaerou
2006-09-16, 12:31 PM
Eeee, YokYok ^^ Cute!

I likes YikYik more but.. yay for Kobolds..!

YokYok doesnt really appear to be a bad guy though... i guess he must be Lawful Good, but out for righting a wrong, a real opposite =)

Morchaint
2006-09-16, 12:43 PM
You know I was happy about the new comic. and it was as good as ever, but when I saw the 6th frame " You killed my father" and the 7th " Prepare to die". I just stopped listening to whatever my roommate was saying, and busted out in full roar laughter.

It gets funnier when you realize that the Giant has drawn them with 3 fingers on each hand so technically Belkar has six fingers .

if armageddon had happened at exactly the moment I laughed. I would not have noticed. I would STILL be too busy laughing.

Vampire_Boy
2006-09-16, 12:54 PM
Best. Strip. Evar.

Bilbo27
2006-09-16, 01:02 PM
Love the princess bride theme

That was funny

DArKandEViL
2006-09-16, 01:04 PM
Sing Elan, sing :)

battleburn
2006-09-16, 01:17 PM
Do revenge driven individuals like Yokyok or Roy have a life. Roy... nope. Yokyok probably neither. Does this mean Belkar can do lethal damage to them?

Niskers
2006-09-16, 01:21 PM
too many good jokes to count...

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-16, 01:26 PM
Hehehe, not only was the title a princess bride reference.... which i caught before i read the comic... (which kinda runined the surprise) but Yok Yok is quite awesome.

Although i thought for a second he had a katana.....

ElfLad
2006-09-16, 01:32 PM
Best comic ever? Best comic ever.

Also, since the stick figures have three fingers each hand, Yokyok must have had a hard time finding "the six-fingered man"

StickMan
2006-09-16, 01:43 PM
That was great I love it.

toastifer
2006-09-16, 01:46 PM
How cool was this strip?

Poetry, The Princess Bride, Running Gags, Fourth Wall Breaking, all while advancing the plot and being funny as hell.

Ok, well at least it inspired this long time lurker to finally register and post.

Thanks!

mmm_grape_juice
2006-09-16, 01:53 PM
definitely my favorite strip. princess bride is one of my favorite movies.

but i don't think yokyok will last very long as a character

Minimiscience
2006-09-16, 01:54 PM
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I bow before your infinitely superior comedic abilities, O mighty Giant.

Kish
2006-09-16, 02:08 PM
How cool was this strip?

Poetry, The Princess Bride, Running Gags, Fourth Wall Breaking, all while advancing the plot and being funny as hell.

Fencing, revenge, true--oh, wait, no Haley in this one.

boxboy582
2006-09-16, 02:16 PM
*Bows down to Giant for the Princess Bride Quotes* You are my hero! Best comic ever. Period!

....Does Belkar by any chance have six fingers on his right hand?

saraswati
2006-09-16, 02:18 PM
The was only one reason to put Belkar on Elan-protection detail, and that is to set up the gag in the bottom panels of this strip ;)

I mean, who trusts Belkar to protect anyone?

That being said, I thought the payoff was pretty damn good!

Go Inigio Montoya kobold knock-off FTW!

ibitak84
2006-09-16, 02:21 PM
Why Yokyok?
O is the next vowel after I (in the alphabet). The next in line will be Yuk-Yuk. Or something completely different ;).

fwiffo
2006-09-16, 03:06 PM
So, here is a stupid question... have we seen Linear Guild? We seen Sabine, Pompey, Leeky and now Yok-yok. We know Nale and Thog are somewhere since the police reports describe them. So, there are 6 members around.

Must there be 6? Yes, I know, Nale was shooting for the evil opposites theme, and there are 6 OOTS members. But, there is no reason he wouldn't try to do one better and have another LG member waiting in the wings.

And also... what kind of idiocy it to handicap your second best fighter?

Tach13
2006-09-16, 03:10 PM
I got yelled at because I scared my cat (who was sitting on my wife's lap) when I read the Inigo Montoya line and burst out laughing. Great, great comic.

Evil_Pacifist
2006-09-16, 03:13 PM
Awesome! I love it!

Kish
2006-09-16, 03:21 PM
And also... what kind of idiocy it to handicap your second best fighter?
OotS is, to some extent, subject to both plot demands and logic demands. For Roy to keep Belkar around and still dangerous to everyone else despite Roy himself being good would have placed too much of a strain on logic. Plot demands wouldn't let him leave Belkar to rot in Lord Shojo's prison and find another backup warrior for his team. Do you have a better idea that addresses both "keep Belkar in the team" and "not let Belkar hurt any more innocent people"?

TheDRaconicLord
2006-09-16, 03:23 PM
Well, I hope ye people are happy. Before this comic I have never heard about The Princess Brides, but after reading so many posts, I really, really need to find and buy online that movie...cursed be my country (Portugal here :-[)

Well, I still love the blasted song tho xD It was so ... long...and somewhat forced....that made it soooooooo much funnier.

Nashua
2006-09-16, 03:31 PM
Oh My Gosh! I just checked the website after my e-mail and I thought "Surely no more OotS this week, didn't we already get two?" But lo! There was a NEW one! And I just got my Dragon magazine October issue yesterday! Verily, my cup runneth over! :D

imageek
2006-09-16, 03:39 PM
I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I bow before your infinitely superior comedic abilities, O mighty Giant.

i agree (but without yousing the word infinetly as i dont know what that mean... accursed smal crappy country of denmark with crappy english lessons)

BlythraB
2006-09-16, 04:00 PM
Hahaha! I love it! THANK YOU MR. GIANT! this IS the perfect comic strip - I love S. Morgenstern's classic tale of true love and high adventure. I mean, um, Princess Bride. anyway, YAYYYYYY!!!!!!

sakusha
2006-09-16, 05:11 PM
Everyone's already said everything I was going to mention but that doesn't change just how freaking funny and awesome this strip was! I've been without internet a few days and the first thing I did was get on and check my webcomics and OotS did not disappoint! :D

tamtam1991
2006-09-16, 05:12 PM
Oh gods yes! A Princess Bride immortal line combined with Elan messing everything up again? How much better can it get?

Papa_Bitterleaf
2006-09-16, 05:22 PM
My name is Papa Bitterleaf.

You overloaded my funnybone with this comic.

[Prepares to die from laughter]

Thanks, Giant!

Blood
2006-09-16, 05:33 PM
Hmm...I thought of something that may count as spoiler, so I'll hide it.

To play into The Princess Bride more, perhaps Yokyok will try to give Belkar the same cuts he'd given Yikyik? And since they were on his scalp, maybe it will somehow mess up the Mark of Justice, which happens to be on his head. Unless the slashing of the scalp kills him first.

Which could also lead to predictions about the Oracle saying Belkar won't live long (not that Belkar remembers that).

Space-Is-Curved
2006-09-16, 05:36 PM
YAY!!! Great Princess Bride reference.

Draz74
2006-09-16, 05:36 PM
ROFL! Yeah, it's kind of a throwaway joke -- not the kind of strip I'll re-read for years to come (like #14), but still one of the ones that's made me laugh the most at the moment. And laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

Oh dear, the joke was so bad it was funny. ;D

I love the Princess Bride. There was a time in my childhood when my brother and I watched it every week and practically had it memorised hehe.

QFT. But I never expected it to show up in the OOTS -- let alone so blatantly!

I have to wonder, however, if this is Belkar's evil opposite. It would be really funny if Belkar's real evil opposite that Nale spent time selecting for dramatic effect got upstaged by Yikyik's son seeking his killer.

Now, that's genius. But it won't happen, because it's not this strip's style. The Linear Guild is again complete! (if not for long)

If he is the evil opposite, he could be LG, only in with the LG to avenge his father. Maybe he'll turn on them after killing Belkar.

I doubt it. But Duelist (if that's what he is) IS kind of a fun "opposite" of a TWF-melee ranger.

Sadly for Yokyok, however, I don't see him being a long lasting char. He doesn't seem to have much of a character beyong the joke. I guess kobolds are always expendable to the villain lol. But how will Belkar kill him? ;)

This was my biggest worry too. I'm afraid I predict at least one Linear Guild member biting the dust somehow in this battle. Then again, the Oracle survived.
What's with the expanding role of Kobolds in this world? I mean, now we even know what accent they speak with. ;) And we've had one significant Kobold character who was a big part of the plot, yet lived (despte Belkar's immediate wish to kill him).

aryeh88
2006-09-16, 05:56 PM
hahaha, great Princess Bride joke. and will Elan ever learn that using that song isn't the best idea?

Shakalooloo_Doom
2006-09-16, 06:11 PM
Best strip ever! Recurring jokes and old plot elements all coming together perfectly!

Yrogerg
2006-09-16, 06:25 PM
Poor Belkar... :(
But, Knowing about the MoJ conditions, he should have gotten at least one of his weapons Merciful-ed. Not only would be a cheap 1d6 extra damage, but he could normally supress it with a command word for an easy CDG, once the guy's down. (spoiler)

Dario
2006-09-16, 06:26 PM
Ooh, unexpected Princess Bride joke. :)

Gave me a good chuckle, but I actually hope to see this guy fleshed out into his own entity, instead of just a throwaway gag living under the shadow of his father and Inigo Montoya. Talk about some tough acts to follow. :P

Kish
2006-09-16, 06:54 PM
Elan would never place any of the order in such a dangerous situation on purpose (and yes, he actually gets on ok with Belkar).
There's actually a fair chance he saved Belkar's life. Belkar has short-term memory issues, especially when they relate to things like "reasons why I can't kill when I want to." It's quite possible that if Elan hadn't sung that, Belkar would have swung, done a dagger's worth of lethal damage, and collapsed helpless at Yokyok's feet.

Poor Belkar... :(
;D

But, Knowing about the MoJ conditions, he should have gotten at least one of his weapons Merciful-ed.
How much time and how much money do you suppose that would take? Belkar had none of either (remember, all his money for the forseeable future is going to pay for the guard's resurrection).

the_tick_rules
2006-09-16, 07:10 PM
isn't V a woman? I've always thought so. But that him/her refrence reminded me i've seen that before.

silvadel
2006-09-16, 07:20 PM
Thing is we really dont know what the mark of justice will do.

From the SRD:

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.
• –6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
• –4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
• Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.
You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

--------------

Now what one of those would be important enough to not get a new hat?

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-16, 07:36 PM
isn't V a woman? I've always thought so. But that him/her refrence reminded me i've seen that before.

We don't know, his/her gender is meant to be ambiguous

Also don't forget people The Princess Bride was a book first.............

if roy was clever he would have made the MoJ effect realtivly benign......

Am i the only that thinks it was odd to not add the clause of "cannot harm any "evil" creatures" since no one knew if they were going to find xykon in an "urban" area or not..........

Fishybugs
2006-09-16, 07:55 PM
I spy....something that begins with the letter I.

Inigo?

Tobimaro
2006-09-16, 07:55 PM
I will chime in here that I thought that this was a very good strip.

I especially liked Elan's Inspire Competence (Bluff) song. Turned the confrontation into a rout.

Also, Belkar's keeping Elan from helping Varsuvius was not so much about caring for Elan but him seeing V getting his elven butt kicked. ;)

Miarae
2006-09-16, 08:31 PM
Am i the only that thinks it was odd to not add the clause of "cannot harm any "evil" creatures" since no one knew if they were going to find xykon in an "urban" area or not..........

If you put it this way Belkar would be able to harm any creature as long as it wasn't evil. If you put it the other way around...that would mean that he couldn't commit suicide when everything went terribly wrong. Reminds me of Spike in Buffy... ;D

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2006-09-16, 08:49 PM
As soon as Elan said the words "bard's song", I immediately thought of Blind Guardian. If you know what I'm talking about, you win.

Also: The Princess Bride reference is most awesome.

Yrogerg
2006-09-16, 09:38 PM
How much time and how much money do you suppose that would take? Belkar had none of either (remember, all his money for the forseeable future is going to pay for the guard's resurrection).

+1 ehancement, so not that much (they're obviously at the mid-high level range, right?); he could even just apply it to a mundane weapon he already had. And in his current predicament, it's considerably more useful than, say, a Ring of Jumping.

Other ideas, however:Poisons, suffocation, drowning. All of those only do non-lethal or ability damage, but have a tendency to kill pretty quickly, anyway.(spoiler)

ibitak84
2006-09-16, 10:32 PM
We don't know, his/her gender is meant to be ambiguousI'm not sure it was meant to be that way. I think he's pretty obviously male, but since people got confused (by the mostly violett, shoulderlong hair) and argued, the Giant just went with it.

mirado_lassik
2006-09-17, 02:46 AM
I just read the comic.

Yokyok is my hero.

imageek
2006-09-17, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure it was meant to be that way. I think he's pretty obviously male, but since people got confused (by the mostly violett, shoulderlong hair) and argued, the Giant just went with it.

i think v is... well i doubt he is male anyway.... but female... no not that hmm.... one of lifes major mysteries....

Closet_Skeleton
2006-09-17, 07:43 AM
I just found this kind of lame actually. I didn't find the referrence funny at all.

Yokyok's wielding a small rapier, 1d4 damage and he's probably finessing. Then again, 3.5 did make Duelist core and we've already had a Shadowdancer. I doubt we'll see a Red Wizard of Thay though.

Caelestion
2006-09-17, 08:19 AM
Brilliant! I love it! An absolute classic! :)

Yok-yok's next line: "I'll have you know I'm the best swordsman in this city." ...

bexie
2006-09-17, 08:27 AM
Yokyok. Brilliant.

Once again, Elan uses his Bard Song for good intentions.... ;)

FreakyM
2006-09-17, 08:33 AM
Ah, A Princess Bride joke.

Indigo Montoya is quite the character.
Made me crack up.

Tussy the Druid
2006-09-17, 09:42 AM
Thought this one was pretty funny, but i didn't get the princess bride reference. Didn't see the movie.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-17, 11:09 AM
Thought this one was pretty funny, but i didn't get the princess bride reference. Didn't see the movie.

Basically the entire character of Yokyok is a reference, as is the title of the strip.....

i highly suggest reading the book/seeing the movie

ShiftShaper
2006-09-17, 11:16 AM
I hope the belkster soon retrieves his abillity to stab him to stabbity death.

Tussy the Druid
2006-09-17, 11:35 AM
Ok, thanks Umbral. I just noticed Yikyik has a tail, but Yokyok has a much bigger tail. Is that something to be proud of in Kobold society? Does that make Yokyok more of a man?

KeiranHalcyon
2006-09-17, 12:45 PM
Yokyok's wielding a small rapier, 1d4 damage and he's probably finessing. Then again, 3.5 did make Duelist core and we've already had a Shadowdancer. I doubt we'll see a Red Wizard of Thay though.
Actually, I think that's a sabre. It's not nearly as thin as Elan's rapier.

Dragon_Rider
2006-09-17, 01:20 PM

I agree, but small sabres still do 1d4.

Fuu
2006-09-17, 02:03 PM
Thank's Giant this one was great!!!! I just love the Princess Bride reference, that was one of my favorite childhood books (though, I haven't seen the movie yet). The best "Iñigo Montoya" Kobold ever, he even have his sword in his left hand :D. And Belkar runnig for his life... man that couldn't been more perfect.

I'm only wondering what Elan will do now that nobody is telling him not to help V'.

Folie
2006-09-17, 02:24 PM
This is so great! The day after this comic was posted, my science fiction/fantasy club showed Princess Bride as part of our weekly Movie Night. It's like evil serendipity. ;)

Anyway, I think that the character of Yokyok may be meant as a zinger against those who create characters that are pretty much just clones of their favorite-at-the-time hero. Such characters are good for a quick chuckle, but they are often one dimensional, and people tend to get sick of them after a short while (unless they're rabid fans of that character).

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-09-17, 03:28 PM
Nice Princess Bride referance. ;D

Great job Gaint!

Tussy the Druid
2006-09-17, 03:45 PM
Something i also noticed.... Elan seems to have some intelligence when arguing with Belkar. AND he's getting angry. That usually doesn't happen to him. Is Elan rising to become Elaniculus once again?

Shea Landford
2006-09-17, 03:54 PM
Good comic. You killed my father. lol

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-09-17, 04:22 PM
There was more that one TPB reference. Belkar's "STOP SAYING THAT" was a line from Count Rugen, shortly before his death. And the title "Someone Was Looking For You" is something Wesley says to Rugen before he is put in the Pit of Despair.

Yikyik got laid!? Wow... I was thinkin' that before Belkar even said it... at any rate, I LOVE The Princess Bride. My drama class did a play of it last year and I was Inigo ^^! My wig fell of in the first performance. Good times... :P

Eldritch Knight
2006-09-17, 04:40 PM
Woot! Good comic..

Opening Line: Brilliant.

Princess Bride Reference: Also brilliant.

This just made my favorite strip list.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-09-17, 04:52 PM
Go Yakyak! Kick his psychotic halfling arse!!

Solmage
2006-09-17, 07:57 PM
Loved the PB reference in this comic. Something's bothering me though.

I was just rereading the comic when I noticed panel 4. Is it just me or does Belkar seem, if only slightly, concerned for Elan's health? His line about needing to protect Elan doesn't make sense. After all, he's already given a reason for them to stay put when talking about the game of whack-a-wizard. The next is unecessary.

Could this be the beginning of change in Belkar?

When I read it, I saw it as him simply further justifying his reason to Elan so he wouldn't be forced to go help V, not as any actual concern for Elan..

Sweet, but now I wonder if Belkar's unwillingness to help aid V is going to lead to V's demise. He is in a fairly tough place. Oh Belkar, sad times.

Well, there's always defensively casting a dimensional door or somesuch...

Solmage
2006-09-17, 08:00 PM
"Hello, my name is Yukyuk. You used my grandpa for a hat, and my father for boots. Prepare to die. Or for a new pair of gloves." :D

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-17, 08:10 PM

The bellguard is wrong for a saber though..... my guess would be raipier or longsword

Varian7
2006-09-17, 09:10 PM
Thank you Giant for all The Princess Bride Jokes! I love that movie, and I love this comic. Go Yokyok!

Dumbledore_lives13
2006-09-17, 10:16 PM
Bluff,BLuff,BLuff, Bluff the revenge seeking Kobold!

Finwe
2006-09-17, 10:33 PM
"Hello, my name is Yukyuk. You used my grandpa for a hat, and my father for boots. Prepare to die. Or for a new pair of gloves." :D

yuk yuk yuk!

Platinum_Mongoose
2006-09-17, 11:40 PM
As awesome as all Princess Bride references are, I have to ask something:
Using that reference on a Kobold? ...Really?

Seems like... I don't know what...

Don't get me wrong, it's funny stuff as always. I honestly don't think this comic is capable of being bad, or even average. But this unsettled me somwhat.
*shrug*
Ah, well. I'm over it already.
Go Belkar!

Solmage
2006-09-18, 02:45 AM
I just noticed something.. I think Belkar's bluff had actually worked before Elan screwed it up. I mean, if you look at the expression of Yokyok on the panel where Elan is singing his song, his expression is one of concern.

Now it's possible it's instead one of surprise at hearing the stupid song, but I think uncertanty is more accurate, which would more easily fit the Belkar's intimidation bluff had worked, at least to some extent.

Either way, it was funny to get a reminder of Elan being an obstacle the party overcomes on a regular basis (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html). They need more penicilin! (subtle plug for more hot teenage sorcerer babes 8) )

Kish
2006-09-18, 04:27 AM
As awesome as all Princess Bride references are, I have to ask something:
Using that reference on a Kobold? ...Really?

Seems like... I don't know what...
::)

Why oh why am I reminded of the sentence, "Kill some sentient creatures because they have green skin and fangs and we don't, and take their stuff"?

Abelard
2006-09-18, 08:19 AM
This week-end was Belkarriffic! The focus here and in the "Dragon" strip!

Shame that Belkar had better luck bluffing Durkon in "Dragon"; too bad Elan wasn't otherwise occupied...

spectralphoenix
2006-09-18, 09:06 AM
Of course, maybe the city park doesn't count as an urban area? Especially if the spell was cast by someone like Durkon (who is too compassionate to let even one of Nelkar's ilk go undefended in the midst of so many trees.)

Doug_Lampert
2006-09-18, 10:16 AM
[
Also don't forget people The Princess Bride was a book first.............
Written in 1973, movie in 1987. William Goldman did both the book and script.

Is there some good reason that we've had dozens of people claim it's a movie and only a couple of mentions of the book? This is like someone asking what the LotRs is and being told only about the Peter Jackson movies!

The book is MUCH better than the movie people.

Princess Bride is unfortunately not very well known in non-english speaking a countries. And yes, that's inconcievable!

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Fencing, revenge, true--oh, wait, no Haley in this one.

We can still have True Love. I love this comic.

DougL

Kradlo
2006-09-18, 10:47 AM
You know, it's at times like these that I'll bet that Belkar is glad he took that level of Barbarian. Upping his move rate from 20 feet to 30 is handy when being chased by a revenge-bound kobold swashbuckler (with a base move of 30 feet, naturally).

Let's just hope Yokyok didn't take the Run feat. ;)

To paraphrase the Werewolf folks, "Belkar, when will you RAGE?"

;D

KeiranHalcyon
2006-09-18, 11:27 AM
Is there some good reason that we've had dozens of people claim it's a movie and only a couple of mentions of the book? This is like someone asking what the LotRs is and being told only about the Peter Jackson movies!
Yes, that would be because people today would rather sit down and watch a 2-hour movie than read the book upon which it is based. Which, in turn, leads to the movie becomming much more widely-known than the book.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Spelling errors aside, I do think it means what he thinks it means.

We can still have True Love. I love this comic.
Amen!

battleburn
2006-09-18, 11:28 AM
If he's raging he will perhaps run, but not away.

Raging is perhaps smart if he puts away those daggers. Bashing him with his fists of fury, could deal quite a lot of bashing damage, without danger of triggering the MoJ.

Snake-Aes
2006-09-18, 11:46 AM
If he's raging he will perhaps run, but not away.

Raging is perhaps smart if he puts away those daggers. Bashing him with his fists of fury, could deal quite a lot of bashing damage, without danger of triggering the MoJ.
Except if our duelist-ish kobold has taken combat reflexes. I can imagine Belkar being extra-spanked for trying to not die while beating without killing.

Belkar has a real bad conflict here.

Draz74
2006-09-18, 12:06 PM
[

Actually, this is one of the rare cases where the movie might be better than the book, IMHO. Unlike LotR. (And I said *might*. The book and the movie both have their advantages in this case, and there are some things in the book that are really cool that get skipped in the movie. But there are also some things that are just funnier in the movie.)

Melnor
2006-09-18, 12:43 PM
Hahahaha!!
Oh man, I love Princess Bride so much...
Excellent comic, Giant! It made me chuckle, and that's hard to do!

Oh...and I do believe the fourth wall is officially Dead ;D

thorindale
2006-09-18, 01:04 PM
Is it just me, or does what Belkar say in the first panel sound familiar to the poem that the Master Chief quotes in G.I.Jane?

Fillbert
2006-09-18, 01:37 PM
Cheese rating: 4 1/2 wedges!!!! This was the most delightfully cheesey issue I've read in a long, long time. Two thumbs up for the giant.

Question?:{Spoiler?}: Would dismemberment be considered lethal damage? I just keep having Monty Python's Black Knight images about Yokyok {Spoiler}

TinSoldier
2006-09-18, 01:54 PM
Is it just me, or does what Belkar say in the first panel sound familiar to the poem that the Master Chief quotes in G.I.Jane?I don't know about G.I. Jane, but it's similar to a poem (http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/146.html) by (Alfred) Joyce Kilmer.

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-- Joyce Kilmer

For some reason I always thought it was Emily Dicikinson. Then again I'm not that knowledgeable about poetry...

thorindale
2006-09-18, 02:09 PM
Found it (after a bit of searching).

Self-Pity

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.

- D.H. Lawrence

I wasn't what I thought.....

OK, lets all go back the Princess Bride.

Aysel
2006-09-18, 03:42 PM
[
Written in 1973, movie in 1987. William Goldman did both the book and script.

The fun thing with that, is Goldman claims that the novel was written by someone else "S. Morgenstern" and he abridged it. He speaks of this in the forwards of the different editions and about his struggles with the Morgenstern estate. I, for one thought that all of that was truely the case, but when I finally looked it up, it seems to be a hoax by the author.

Any one else heard of this?

Lostboy
2006-09-18, 04:51 PM
You have stick fingers on your left hand. Someone was looking for you.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-09-18, 05:03 PM
Question:Would dismemberment be considered lethal damage? I just keep having Monty Python's Black Knight images about Yokyok

Yes, because in order to sever a limb you need to deal lethal damage.

Kish
2006-09-18, 05:40 PM
[

Let's just say I disagree. Like, as strongly as I would if you'd said "a kick in the head is better than the Order of the Stick."

On a more factual and less opinion-based note, are all the references (the line "someone was looking for you," Inigo repeating, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die," and Count Rugen shouting "STOP SAYING THAT!") in the novel? If not, the references are to the movie, regardless of which is better--just as if Xykon gave a speech that was based on one of Saruman's speeches in the Two Towers movie, it would be accurate to say this was a reference to the Two Towers movie, not book.

Aysel
2006-09-18, 06:40 PM
Pretty much all the movie is in the book. I would go cite specific examples but I'm afraid I loaned it to someone.

Since Goldman wrote both the movie script and the "abridged" book most of it is the same in both, besides the fact that there's some in the book that's not in the movie they are about on equal ground. Besides the fact that alot more people know the movie then have read the book.

However, I do have to ask if you've read the book, if you haven't you can't really call it one way or the other, and if you have, its your opinion to have.

Kish
2006-09-18, 06:46 PM
Pretty much all the movie is in the book.

What? No. No, there are lines and actions in the movie that are not in the book (and vice versa).

I would go cite specific examples but I'm afraid I loaned it to someone.

You don't need examples. My question is a simple one: Were all the lines used for strip #348 in the book, as I know they were in the movie? If you don't know either, just say so.

kabbor
2006-09-18, 07:25 PM
The movie was much 'shorter' than the book - For instance, the book depicts all the trials that Fezzik and Inigo endure in Humperdink's Zoo, which the movie omits entirely.

As for the quotes: "...you killed my father,prepare to die..", certainly, Inigo having to chase the fleeing Reugen, check, "Stop Saying That" - I think that I read that, but am not sure. I read a borrowed copy of PB, so I cannot check for you.

Kish
2006-09-18, 08:07 PM
And Westley (or at least someone--it could still be a book reference if someone else had the line in the book) telling Rugen "Someone was looking for you."

Ironfist Orc
2006-09-18, 08:08 PM
Late to the party. Put me in the minority that was kind of 'meh' to the strip as a whole. I love PB, I even love the gag in the strip, but...

The last few strips, with Leeky and the CPPD, have been so good, that this one seemed ... average.

Does the MoJ kick in if Belkar deals "mostly" lethal damage? :)

Snake-Aes
2006-09-18, 08:40 PM
It's for "any". I'm afraid that Belkar will have to face a non-lethal combat if he wants any chance to win.

Aysel
2006-09-18, 09:21 PM
What? No. No, there are lines and actions in the movie that are not in the book (and vice versa).
You don't need examples. My question is a simple one: Were all the lines used for strip #348 in the book, as I know they were in the movie? If you don't know either, just say so.

Blah. Sorry, I knew what you meant. I meant I don't have the book with me to check if those exact lines are in the book. And when I said most of the movie was in the book I meant MOST I didn't mean all (and not all of its exact of course).

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-18, 09:36 PM
And Westley (or at least someone--it could still be a book reference if someone else had the line in the book) telling Rugen "Someone was looking for you."

I'm 90% posative that that line was not in the book. SPOILERS Westley's recognition of the six fingers is his last thought and thus he has no time to say anything, and he also does not know of Inigo's history (though the reader does)

Solmage
2006-09-18, 10:05 PM
Princess Bride is unfortunately not very well known in non-english speaking a countries. And yes, that's inconcievable! It means we miss out on one of the best movies all time.

Well, I first saw the princess bride' in germany. Everyone at my school, which was a boarding school, loved it and talked about it a lot.

I'll even venture to say that Inigo's line in german is even better than the english version! I know, inconceivable! :)

"Hallo! Mein Name ist Inigo Montoya. Du hast mein Fater getoettet. Nun bist du des Todes!"

* (in fairness, most of the other lines are better in english, including inconceivable ;) )

Fillbert
2006-09-18, 10:34 PM
So if Yokyok is Inigo, does that make Thog Fezzik and Nale Vizzini, or is Nale Prince Humperdinck? Does that make Leekey the Albino? Who would Sabine be? And Pompey would be Rugen?....... ??? ???

TinSoldier
2006-09-18, 10:35 PM
So if Yokyok is Inigo, does that make Thog Fezzik and Nale Vizzini, or is Nale Prince Humperdinck? Does that make Leekey the Albino? Who would Sabine be? And Pompey would be Rugen?....... ??? ???Sounds like a new thread to me...

Fillbert
2006-09-18, 10:38 PM
Done

Alfryd
2006-09-19, 03:20 AM
New comic is up.
Very good.

And once again, Elan Screws it all up.
If harming Belkar weren't such an unequivocally good thing, I would say this adds much weight to my hypothesis that Elan is secretly LE. Only meticulous conscious planning could possibly result in the series of disasters he consistently inflicts on his party.

Ironfist Orc
2006-09-19, 01:28 PM
Snake-Aes Posted on: Sep 18th, 2006, 5:40pm
It's for "any". I'm afraid that Belkar will have to face a non-lethal combat if he wants any chance to win.
You must have missed the "smiley face" at the end of my question. I was making a PB reference. ("Mostly dead?")