PDA

View Full Version : Silverthorn arrows in 3.5

Deaxsa
2016-12-03, 07:32 PM
For those of you that have played battle for middle earth 2( an rts) this should be fairly self-explanatory. For those that did not, silver thorn arrows were one of the most impressive upgrades I've ever witnessed in a video game. A ranged damage upgrade for the elf faction, this added a bunch of magic damage to he already impressive elven archers and turned your arrows bright blue. Essentially working like most over upgrades in video games, you have to build a forge to research this technology, and then you can pay to equip a unit with the upgrade.

Thing is, I'm not sure how you would represent "magic" damage in 3.x. There's energy damage, which this is not, there's force damage, which it might be, and there's all the other stuff like arcane fire and eldritch blast. What damage type would you use to represent this, or do you think these arrows would have a different effect if ported over?

P. S. I'd post a link but am on my phone.

Thurbane
2016-12-03, 07:35 PM
Would simple +X enhancement to hit and damage be acceptable?

If not, I'd probably go with + Xd6 untyped damage, or maybe force damage.

NerdHut
2016-12-03, 07:49 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Thurbane. Tack it on like the energy damage enhancements, but change the flavor. If there's a quest involved, lower the cost or raise the power. But mechanically, it should probably fit in with other magical enhancements.

Specifically, if all you're doing is raising the damage of the weapon, and not adding on a new type, you could increase or add to the damage die. Like a Longbow could go from d8 to a d10 or d12, or if you're wanting something really powerful, 2d8.

The cost should be similar to existing enhancements. If it's just a bit more damage, make it +1 equivilent or a solid (but not overly restrictive) flat cost.

Hogsy
2016-12-03, 09:52 PM
If you want to make them truly powerful, have them deal xd6 points "untyped" magical damage(as per Eldritch Blast for example) where x is the total enhancement bonus of the weapon. Now, silverthorn arrows could be "unique" arrows, like arrows of slaying. You could go one step further, and have a feat prerequisite to be crafted (Create Silverthorn Arrows). They could have a flat cost(depending on your setting) and need specific materials. This way, the cost isn't particularly high but to get the materials you'd need to go on a little side quest. As the campaign progresses and the players are of enough high level, have the materials be more and more available.

Another route is to make it an arrow enchantment(without the +1 prerequisite), and have it again deal +xd6 points "untyped" magical damage(as per Eldritch Blast for example) where x is the total enhancement bonus of the arrow. It works independently of the bow's total enhancement bonus. So, 50 arrows deal +5d6 untyped damage and cost 50k. 25k to craft. I think the cost to power value is rather balanced this way as well, but it makes the arrows more commonplace.