PDA

View Full Version : Ore Roll Engine for JRPG-Style Adventures?

JBPuffin
2016-12-04, 01:32 AM
I got to thinking about ten minutes ago, listening to some video game music, how ORE could be used for Japanese Role-Playing (video) Game-style settings. Not mimicking the rules of those games, necessarily, but the feel and style for sure (and maybe at some level the mechanics, too, just not my concern). My question is, has anyone else done something with this, or would I need to start my own, drawing from the other ORE games to build something?

Let's refine this a little from the get-go: I'm thinking primarily of level-based games, ie Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Persona b/c dear gods I disproportionately love that setting, Dragon Quest, et cetera. Probably going to have multiple character generation options like REIGN, all balanced to work with each other so one guy can design his perfect character while another guy can throw some dice at a wall and see what sticks.

shatterspike1
2016-12-04, 03:48 PM
Can ORE be used for a game like this? Yes, definitely. Is there a pre-built ruleset out there that fits exactly what you want? Probably not. I myself would probably brew up a mix of REIGN and the power construction from Wild Talents, but that'll take a bit of work to mesh together. It's definitely not going to emulate JRPG rules (it can't, being a hard-capped point buy system), but long as you're willing to do the work, you should be able to get the feel you want.

Check out the ORE Toolkit (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/one-roll-engine-toolkit/comment-page-1) if you haven't already; it's got a bunch of plug and play rules changes prebuilt. See also; Nemesis (which is free but probably lower powered than what you want).

Knaight
2016-12-05, 01:05 AM
Check out the ORE Toolkit (http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/one-roll-engine-toolkit/comment-page-1) if you haven't already; it's got a bunch of plug and play rules changes prebuilt. See also; Nemesis (which is free but probably lower powered than what you want).

This is excellent. I've been putting off some mechanics design involving adapting ORE, and now I know about a generic version.

EDIT: It does seem like the person who wrote it has an iffy understanding of the ORE mechanics though, so there is that.

JBPuffin
2016-12-05, 11:39 AM
This is excellent. I've been putting off some mechanics design involving adapting ORE, and now I know about a generic version.

EDIT: It does seem like the person who wrote it has an iffy understanding of the ORE mechanics though, so there is that.

Yeah, some of it seems off.

I'll see if I can get Wild Talents and Nemesis before I get too far into this. Does Godlike have anything applicable?

Knaight
2016-12-05, 01:35 PM
Yeah, some of it seems off.

I'll see if I can get Wild Talents and Nemesis before I get too far into this. Does Godlike have anything applicable?

There's not really much reason to get both Wild Talents and Godlike. REIGN would be much more useful, as would Monsters and Other Childish Things.

JBPuffin
2016-12-05, 03:14 PM
There's not really much reason to get both Wild Talents and Godlike. REIGN would be much more useful, as would Monsters and Other Childish Things.

I now have all the pieces of the puzzle...now to begin jury-rigging. Hurray, jury-rigging!