PDA

View Full Version : What is your character's greatest fear (If he/she has one)?

RogueGuy
2016-12-04, 04:37 PM
Leon Silversword, my Rogue, fears becoming poor.

Naanomi
2016-12-04, 04:46 PM
Current characters...

~Margo the Clanless, Dwarven Sorceress, fears there is no cure for her
~Sissran al'Kita, Gensai Beastmaster, would claim he fears nothing but probably fears he could have made something from his life more than pointless wandering

Recently killed characters:
~Kultak, Zhentarim Slaver, feared that someday he will be a slave again (he died a free, if corrupt, man)

Kane0
2016-12-04, 05:43 PM
Vardon Stonehewer, 14th level warlock, fears Imps (and the messages they bring)
Reginald Harkin, 6th level fighter, fears one-upmanship
Mordwyn, 10th level sorcerer, fears quicksand (and by extension, normal sand)
Toby Rustbucket, 3rd level fighter, fears vegetable oil (for its hallucinogenic properties)
Banoch, 9th level monk, fears accusations of being a false prophet

Talakeal
2016-12-04, 05:44 PM
Eels. Or growing old. Or hurting those she loves.

Different types of fears really.

Millstone85
2016-12-04, 05:48 PM
Escarboucle Ormphel, human warlock of the GOO Uruboriade, knows that her death will trigger an aberrant metamorphosis.
She often imagines herself becoming something magnificent, like an aboleth or a beholder.
But so far, the shape of her scars suggests a far more miserable creature. I have too many mouths and I can't stop screaming.

Spellbreaker26
2016-12-04, 07:26 PM
For my first real character it was going bankrupt (he was a merchant) but after an incident involving a spectator, an oni, and a lot of illusions he added "losing limbs" to that list.

For my current one it is probably dying in obscurity with his family's decline unreversed and his debt to a dead friend unpaid.

DorkyBobster
2016-12-04, 07:35 PM
Oromar Gladmir, Level 6 Wizard, fears chaotic good clerics (his imp heals him 1 hp per round).
Ranus Gildenfield, Level 9 chaotic good cleric, fears imps and their little wyvern tails.

Draco4472
2016-12-04, 09:44 PM
I have a Ranger/Cleric that became afraid of vampires after several traumatic incidents when he was young, resulting in night terrors and an addiction to alcohol that is probably the only thing keeping him from going completely mad.

He was also suicidal for a time shortly after said 'traumatic incidents', but having a cleric as an adopted father made any attempt at permanently damaging himself fairly difficult.

However, he will never admit to this fear so long as he lives, as his ideal is "If I cannot best my fears, I cannot best my hated foes."

I made a very dark character for Curse of Strahd.

Finback
2016-12-04, 09:57 PM
I have too many mouths and I can't stop screaming.

*Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg*

Gastronomie
2016-12-04, 10:04 PM
For my Bladelock, WIS saves in general.

And it's actually pretty serious, since failing a WIS save is how his original life got wrecked and he lost all choice but to make a contract with the devil... (and he still sucks at it.)

Addaran
2016-12-04, 10:33 PM
Zook, my gnome battlemaster is scared of big things that could eat him in one shot. The scariest he saw was a bulette. Despite the bulette being alone vs six lvl3-4 characters, he just ran away, since he was sure it would swallow him whole. The huge yuan-ti monstrosity was a close second.

My GOO-lock "of Kezef"(he didn't made a pack, he just have a weird connection to it from birth) is scared of the faithful and gods. Cause he knows what Kezef does to them and having his soul destroyed is scarier then even eternal torment in the wall of the faithless. That means he pretty much never enters churches and make sure to not participate in anything religious.

furby076
2016-12-04, 10:41 PM
Desks. My entire party feared desks. Thats because the dm either loved having them be mimcs or trapped.

We also feared the homeless newspaper boys of Sharn. Dont mess with them, they wil mess you up

PloxBox
2016-12-05, 02:17 AM
Gaarza "Once-Slain" Varsh-Ith, Goliath Totem Barbarian: Is afraid of growing old and being useless to her clan or other party members.

Khala, Human Assassin Rogue: Afraid of dying and leaving her daughter without a mother.

Eilidh Zylrieth, High Elf Battlemaster/Monk: Is haunted by nightmares of a somewhat recent world-scale war between the Drow and High Elves that she was in. So, I guess fear of being taken hostage is a good descriptor.

SMac8988
2016-12-05, 02:21 AM
Griswold Stonetusk, Frenzy Berserker(3)/Paladin of Devotion(7) fears falling to far from Pelor's light to never recover. Hurting those he protects and failing to uphold his oath.

Blacky the Blackball
2016-12-05, 05:55 AM
Quarion Xiloscient, my 5th level Drow Wizard, is afraid of the people of the surface world seeing through his disguises and illusions and lynching him or imprisoning him for his race.

He's pretty sure that the rest of the adventuring party all know the truth - they've spent too much time in close proximity to him for it to be otherwise - but none of them have ever said anything. He thinks he can trust them, but he certainly doesn't trust the commoners in the villages, towns and cities.

So he keeps up the disguise anyway, and it feeds into his paranoia.

JellyPooga
2016-12-05, 06:54 AM
Jimothy Fink McBeatty, my halfling Rogue, didn't fear anything...which is why he's now little more than a grubby stain on the floor of some dungeon. Perhaps he should have feared ogres a little more...

BoutsofInsanity
2016-12-05, 08:02 AM
Borin StoneFoot:Level 7 Dwarven Slayer (Frenzy Barbarian)- fears being afraid. Cowardice is what brought him low. He fears not dying having failed to die fighting a WereShark, a water Genie, and a powerful moon druid.

Mend: PF Level 14 Tiefling Paladin- Fears sexual contact and women. He is uncomfortable by the vulnerability it brings out in him by being intimate with someone. He worships Pelor fervently, and fears that all his sacrifices, pain, and suffering have been for nought. He fears that he isn't worth anything, given that another player who is a Paladin of Pelor as well, is the Chosen One for the religion. That Mend isn't even to be comforted by his own god whom he loves. Mend fears many things. His inadaquacy, that love is a lie, and most of all, his own tendencies toward sadism. But through all of that, he has faith, that people are inherently good, that people deserve mercy, and every Enemy get's 1. Only 1. But they get 1.

NecroDancer
2016-12-05, 08:13 AM
My warlock fears his inevitable death. Seeing how he has gone into the negatives at least once for the past five sessions his fear is justified.

pangoo209
2016-12-07, 12:22 PM
Damascus: Demigod rogue (very homebrew)

Afraid of fire and afraid of his father, the god of trickery.

tieren
2016-12-07, 12:51 PM
I have a half-orc fighter that rolled abysmally low charisma (5), so I treat it as a horrible disfigurement from a fire some time ago. He now fears fire.

SmokingSkull
2016-12-08, 02:35 AM
Lo'Kag "Slayer" Ogolakuno, Goliath, level 12 (Fighter 9 - Champion/Barbarian 3 - Totem Warrior) He is afraid of losing his [new] family, of being weak and helpless to those he cares about and is afraid of not accomplishing his dream of building Haven.

RickAllison
2016-12-08, 10:53 AM
Tmave, Minotaur Wizard/Knowledge Cleric: Afraid of talking to pretty women. He is decent in everything except Charisma (not amazing at anything but Int), has never been in any kind of relationship before, and grew up hearing stories from numerous adventurers about how monsters would pose as members of the opposite sex in order to trap heroes and heroines. So he is not good around women....

Jamgretter
2016-12-08, 11:04 AM
My swasbuckling rouge has a crippling fear of being forgotten. He always makes sure his actions appear "heroic", because being a nobody is worse than death. If he's forgotten after death, I guarantee he'll only go to the afterlife kicking and screaming.

Mith
2016-12-08, 11:08 AM
I would say that my Half Orc Barbarian fears failure. Not set backs, which one can learn from and improve upon, but complete failure in a goal.

Sigreid
2016-12-08, 04:38 PM
Well, if the party manages to rescue his soul from the pitfiend holding it captive in hell, I believe he will no longer be casual about a deck of many things. :smallbiggrin:

RickAllison
2016-12-08, 05:02 PM
Well, if the party manages to rescue his soul from the pitfiend holding it captive in hell, I believe he will no longer be casual about a deck of many things. :smallbiggrin:

I had a character, Salleek, who freaked out and threw a deck of cards we found in a dungeon across the room. He had heard too many stories of cards in dungeons going badly...

HunterMarked
2016-12-08, 05:27 PM
Lydia Naque the Half-Elven Rogue:

Afraid of not getting her family heirloom back and right the wrongs that befell her family.

Vogonjeltz
2016-12-08, 05:45 PM
That a decision he makes will get others killed needlessly.

Veldrenor
2016-12-08, 09:35 PM
My swasbuckling rouge has a crippling fear of being forgotten. He always makes sure his actions appear "heroic", because being a nobody is worse than death. If he's forgotten after death, I guarantee he'll only go to the afterlife kicking and screaming.

This is a big one for my fighter. The other is that his tribe will somehow figure out that the event that made them proclaim him a hero never happened. He's so afraid of the discovery that he's repressed the actual memory in favor of the myth.

WhiteEagle88
2016-12-08, 09:51 PM
I have a Rogue who is/was afraid of the undead. He became less so after he got his short swords enchanted to better dispatch them, but they still make him really nervous.

I also have a dwarf fighter that was (self)Exiled from his clan after failing to kill an orc warlord in battle( his clan is Orcbane) and while he'd never admit it, he is terribly afraid that he will never redeem himself.

Snowsong
2016-12-09, 12:20 AM
My paladin is afraid of losing his love: in the sense of her dying, but more in the sense that he'll see his gifts as a path to power again and drive her away.

My druid is afraid of losing his connection to the earth, and letting his home village down.

Asmotherion
2016-12-09, 04:36 AM
My Old One Warlock/Dragon Sorcerer feared his adventuring days would eventually end and he would eventually live a borring mundane life. His worst fear was boredom, and he would go to great lengths to prevent ever being bored.

My Fiend Patron Warlock/Trickster Rogue, an assasin of Asmodeus, hunting down other warlocks who would not follow their contracts, feared to suffer the same fate as his victims, in case there was some sentance in the pact he had made that he didn't understand, and broke part of his pact unknownly and unwillingly.

My Old One Patron Warlock/Necromancer Wizard feared his own undead would eventually turn on him, to the point of never sleeping without first putting as many wards around him as possible... He was also paranoid that every important NPC (friendly or foe) they met was secretly a Litch, Vampire or other kind of Undead and would try to take control of his Undead. He developed this fear after one night, forgeting to renew the Animate Dead spell on his skeletons, and being attacked by them in the middle of the night.

My Bear Totem Barbarian/Old One Warlock was afraid of... bears... Why? Cause I thought it would be funny. Also justifyed as "he chose the totem he respects and fears".

My Old One Warlock/Eldritch Knight feared his patron eventually noticing his existance, and that this would draw him to the Material Plane.

PS: Yeap, all my characters have warlock dips... It's not just a matter of optimisation, it's all about being a warlock B|

hymer
2016-12-09, 04:46 AM
One of my characters suffered a postpartum psychosis. She had considerable discomfort with infants in general for a long while after, but her real fear was a matter of self doubt. If you can lose your mind without any warning and do nothing to fight that once it's happened, how can you expect to shoulder the responsibilities of fighting of the Blight? But things are desperate, and you have to.

AlistairLachant
2017-01-05, 06:34 PM
My warlock, Alistair LaChant greatest fear would be losing his mine to his patron the Demon of Moths and Forgotten Kings but he would never admit this fear claiming dominance over the forces of the abyss.

Shining Wrath
2017-01-05, 07:20 PM
Two ongoing campaigns:

Valarathe Tinnapuda, wood elf ranger, fears that her enemies will find her little brother.
Leon Glitterscale, silver dragonborn Paladin, doesn't fear much of anything (at level 10 it will be impossible for him to be frightened at all), but view snakes much the way a human would view a slug with a human face - take a dragonborn, subtract arms and legs and speech, get a snake. They are loathsome and disgusting to him.

Shining Wrath
2017-01-05, 07:28 PM
Previous character:

Wrath, mithril-bodied Warforged Warblade, was utterly terrified of Rust Monsters until he finally got his entire body enchanted against rusting.

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-05, 07:57 PM
Balasar Delmirev, Gold Dragonborn Sorcerer of the Gold Dragon Heritage - Dying and not going to the Draconic Pseudo-Valhalla in Mount Celestia.

Catchphrase: "Bahamut, witness me!"

Spectre9000
2017-01-05, 10:34 PM
My Dwarf I'm playing is afraid of having his brains eaten by a Mindflayer.

Specter
2017-01-05, 10:38 PM
Losing his looks, charm and suaveness.

Seriously, dude, a tiefling bard has got to have those, or he's toast.

RipTide
2017-01-06, 10:35 AM
Well I only have 1 active character right now, but a whole bunch of concepts and old favorites.

Apollo Fenris - Human Pally/Sorc - fears silence

Alnair Solair Bard Extraordinaire - Tiefling Bard - Fears being forgotten

Adren Pierce - Human Cleric - Fears his wife (well she is a chaotic evil goddess that killed his entire family so...)

Puzzle - Halfling rogue/monk - Fears the Circus/Traveling performance shows

TinkTink - gnome Eldritch Knight - Fears his own Inventions

Tilik - Dragonborn fighter/warlock - fears he will never earn the respect of his family

I think that's a good enough list for now.

Mith
2017-01-06, 03:08 PM

That's a very pragmatic concern.

DragonSorcererX
2017-01-06, 03:11 PM

I would make a joke about Dwarves being stupid, them I remembered how good architects they are...

Fishyninja
2017-01-06, 05:28 PM
Max Valentine - Human Rogue - His greatest fear is not being remembered
Rydor Oreknuckle - Dwarf Fighter - Greatest fear is Spiders, and dishonouring his name.
Innominate - Wood Elf Monk - His greatest fear is losing touch with his faith
Velascon Fen Sev - Half Elf Sorcerer - His greatest fear is finsing his idenity, and not liking it (He has no memories)
Vrixitor Fendalver - Half Elf Ranger - Poison Arrow Frogs

CantigThimble
2017-01-06, 05:33 PM
Awfrith Grythey, Human Cleric of Savras fears that the world that was his home is lost to him forever and the world that he is in now is not worth saving.

poolio
2017-01-08, 05:13 PM
Ignus Redbolt, Eldritch knight.
White dragons, while on his turn for watch during a long rest overnight in a snow covered plains, the beast swooped past, mear feet from his head, and after several poor rolls ended up about a half mile from his party.

Other then that he's a brave stoic knight who will fight to an honorable death, but dragons make him wish he was wearing his brown pants.