PDA

View Full Version : DM Help question about the functionality of feather token: tree in a specific scenario

Knatt
2016-12-04, 05:11 PM
One of the players have found themselves in a particularly dire situation, being knocked prone under an zombie ogre. He gets the brilliant idea to activate a feather token: tree while under the Ogre, with the hopes that it will carry it away from him.

Our confusion is from the description of the item;
A token that causes a great oak to spring into being (5-foot diameter trunk, 60-foot height, 40-foot top diameter). This is an instantaneous effect.

Would the tree work as intended and carry the ogre? or would some other interaction occur?

Jormengand
2016-12-04, 05:50 PM
The answer is... ill-defined. Technically, because the feather token isn't a conjuration spell, you can just create a tree 200 feet up and watch as it lands on the ogre. I think the way it's intended to work, yes you could absolutely put the ogre up a tree with it, and it would probably be averse to jumping back down.

Coventry
2016-12-04, 11:08 PM
I recommend rewarding that kind of creative solution when it comes up. Your player will still be talking about that tree years from now. A player that is having fun in the game ... is a player that comes back and plays again.

Plus the zombie ogre stuck at the top of a 60' tree is just a fun visual.

If you are concerned about being fair - the feather token costs 200 gp, and is a one-shot item. A single charge from a wand of a 3rd level spell is 215 gp ... close enough to be treated as the same cost. If a singe third level spell could have defeated the zombie ogre, then allowing the feather token tree to do the same seems reasonable. I can think of several Pathfinder spells that fit the bill: Halt Undead (3rd), Create Pit (2nd), Air Geyser (3), Major Image (3), and maybe the damage spells, depending on the zombie ogre's hit points.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-05, 08:10 AM
I agree, this is creative, and hilarious, plus they are putting an investment into it and it has limited situational use (A zombie is a particularly dull and slow creature)

Let them have it!