PDA

View Full Version : Doubling Unarmed Strike?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-04, 07:16 PM
Faffing about with 3.P a bit and I came across the dagger of doubling (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/dagger-of-doubling). Its entry says:

Dagger of Doubling

Aura faint conjuration; CL 5th; Weight 1 lb.; Price 10,302 gp

DESCRIPTION
A wielder with a free hand can split this +1 dagger into two identical +1 daggers as a swift action, or a free action if she has the Quick Draw feat. The doubled daggers can't be split again. If either dagger is thrown while doubled, the hurled dagger vanishes after resolving the attack and the remaining dagger can be split again. If the wielder drops a doubled dagger or it otherwise leaves her person, it vanishes. If both daggers leave the wielder's hands at the same time, determine randomly which dagger vanishes.

Spells or effects placed on a dagger of doubling don't duplicate when the dagger is split. Any active effects on a dagger end when it vanishes. Destroying one of the doubled daggers just causes the duplicate to disappear, but any damage to a single dagger of doubling remains on both daggers when it doubles.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS
Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shadow weapon; Cost 5,302 gpNow, assume you can add the morphing ability to it and can turn the dagger into a +1 necklace of natural weapons, which applies the effect to your unarmed strike, and your character has a level in 3.5 monk. How would that work, exactly? Would you duplicate your body for a short time?

In other words, how would you apply the dagger's doubling ability to a 3.5 monk's unarmed strike?

Gruftzwerg
2016-12-04, 07:40 PM
1: I dunno if you can morph a weapon into a necklace? Imho you cannot, cause morphing lets you change it into another "weapon". A necklace of natural weapons isn't a weapon at all.

2: What has your unarmed damage to do with your dagger? (dunno how PF handles this, but as far as I know it's the same as in 3.5). You either use your "unarmed strike" attack routine or use your dagger(s). If you use 2 daggers, you apply the regular TWF penalties (& possible feats).

3. If you wanna use your unarmed strike together with your daggers, it is possible (but I wouldn't recommend it).

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/rg

read the articles about "unarmed attacks" (3 parts) if you need a good guide to combine your dagger and unarmed attacks.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-04, 07:52 PM
1: I dunno if you can morph a weapon into a necklace? Imho you cannot, cause morphing lets you change it into another "weapon". A necklace of natural weapons isn't a weapon at all.

2: What has your unarmed damage to do with your dagger? (dunno how PF handles this, but as far as I know it's the same as in 3.5). You either use your "unarmed strike" attack routine or use your dagger(s). If you use 2 daggers, you apply the regular TWF penalties (& possible feats).

3. If you wanna use your unarmed strike together with your daggers, it is possible (but I wouldn't recommend it).

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/rg

read the articles about "unarmed attacks" (3 parts) if you need a good guide to combine your dagger and unarmed attacks.None of which has anything to do with my question.

If you applied doubling to a 3.5 monk's unarmed strike, how would it function?

Technetium43
2016-12-04, 07:59 PM
Likely: nothing. Even under the assumption that you can apply unique weapon effects to a Necklace of Natural Attacks (which I disagree with), the description of the weapon specifically refers to daggers, and not unarmed strikes. If you do not have 'this +1 dagger' as referred to in the original description, it does nothing. Nothing in the Necklace of Natural Attacks says that you can just replace sections of text with the appropriate weapon, which is what would be required for it to work with your unarmed strike.

Gruftzwerg
2016-12-06, 07:53 AM
If you are interested in other ways to double your unarmed strike damage "monk / clawlock / enlightened fist" is the way to go.

Eldritch Claw (feat) + Beast Strike (feat)
= Unarmed Strike + (Unarmed Strike + Eldritch Blast)

see my signature build for more inspiration if you want to.

Darrin
2016-12-06, 08:18 AM
Sounds more like a Rocket Punch (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RocketPunch) kinda thing. And we do see things like this when you apply the Throwing/Returning property to unarmed strikes (via Kensai or Necklace of Natural Weapons). However... it's very wonky from a mechanical standpoint, so you generally have to have a "Rule of Cool" understanding in place with the DM.

Fluff-wise, I imagine a glowing fist appearing next to one of your existing fists, and then launching this fist at your opponent Streetfighter-Hadouken-style.

SangoProduction
2016-12-06, 12:11 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=thousand+punch+strike&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS556US556&espv=2&biw=1440&bih=780&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiA_L_dh-DQAhVFylQKHSVWCI4Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=thousand+punch

Make them shift in to gauntlets. Any reasonable reading is that [dagger] = variable name, which is associated with the weapon it's attached to. Mechanically, it'd explicitly let you make unarmed strikes (gauntlets) as dual wielded weapons. Of course, if you already have gauntlets, just dual wield those.

awa
2016-12-06, 01:14 PM
it looks like the only point of this weapon is to allow you to throw magic daggers otherwise it would just be cheaper to buy two. Nothing in the item lets you make extra attacks or throw weapons that cant normally be thrown so i see no reason to assume it would double your fist even if it was legal to apply to a necklace of natural weapons which i deeply doubt.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-06, 01:44 PM
it looks like the only point of this weapon is to allow you to throw magic daggers otherwise it would just be cheaper to buy two. Nothing in the item lets you make extra attacks or throw weapons that cant normally be thrown so i see no reason to assume it would double your fist even if it was legal to apply to a necklace of natural weapons which i deeply doubt.Cheaper to buy two +1 daggers? Yes. Cheaper to buy two +1 returning daggers? No. (Not to mention seriously superior to the returning property.) And definitely not cheaper to buy two +1 seeking returning distance manyfang daggers.

And according to the rules on the necklace of natural weapons, throwing unarmed strikes are perfectly legal in 3.P.

awa
2016-12-06, 01:57 PM
Did you read what I wrote? I just said the point was for throwing and making returning redundant. The item does not give you the ability to throw daggers, daggers come with that.
edit
The doubling power is not a generic weapon enchantment its a specific weapon. Actually I'm not certain you can add any extra enchantments to a specific weapon using the normal rules and even if you did the dagger specifies that it makes +1 daggers so would you actually get the boosted copy or just a +1 dagger. Some one who knows more about pathfinder magic weapons than me would have to answer that for that level of minutia is more then my google fu /interest can answer

Psyren
2016-12-06, 06:28 PM
Did you read what I wrote? I just said the point was for throwing and making returning redundant. The item does not give you the ability to throw daggers, daggers come with that.
edit
The doubling power is not a generic weapon enchantment its a specific weapon. Actually I'm not certain you can add any extra enchantments to a specific weapon using the normal rules and even if you did the dagger specifies that it makes +1 daggers so would you actually get the boosted copy or just a +1 dagger. Some one who knows more about pathfinder magic weapons than me would have to answer that for that level of minutia is more then my google fu /interest can answer

This. You can possibly enhance it further than what is printed, but that would require GM fiat because this is a custom/unique item. And whether you can double everything you put on there is also GM fiat. By RAW, you get two +1 daggers.

Worse still, adding more enhancements to it may count as "an effect placed on it", which don't get copied at all.