PDA

View Full Version : d20 3rd Party Feat

Thurbane
2016-12-04, 09:52 PM
Fliping through one of my 3.0 3rd party books the other day, came across a bit of a weird feat.

Can't remember the exact reqs right now (I know it was a fairly high Con score and ranks in Alchemy, among others), but the crunch of the feat was that if you drink the same potion 1/day for 6 days in a row, at the end you get the permanent ability for your body to metabolize that potion 1/day, so you gain the benefit as if you'd drunk it. Once you chose the potion it's set, although you can take the feat multiple times, once for each potion type.

Would this feat be worthwhile?

Assume 2 scenarios: one where 3rd level potions are the highest available, and another where that FR PrC lets you have access to potions of up to 9th level.

Thoughts?

Cheers - T

Ashtagon
2016-12-05, 02:54 AM
This feature essentially grants one self only spell of up to nth level once per day. Existing similar feats typically grant 3 0th level and or 1 1st level spell. This feat also has a trivial monetary cost to buy the potions.

So yes. It's definitely above the power curve compared to existing feats. Whether it's more power than you want for your campaign is your call.

Mordaedil
2016-12-05, 05:34 AM
It's kinda limited by the fact that potions have limited range, so I don't think it's off the scale in terms of power.

Ssalarn
2016-12-05, 01:40 PM
It's kinda limited by the fact that potions have limited range, so I don't think it's off the scale in terms of power.

That's essentially my take in it, at least as far as potions being capped at 3rd level. More powerful than established core equivalents, but not extremely so. I could see myself being talked into allowing it, though not for potions pushed higher than 3rd level by an outside source. 5th-9th level SLAS for a feat is too much, even with the caveat that the spell needs to be one that can be delivered via potion.

John Longarrow
2016-12-05, 02:20 PM
Major issue is the CL of the spell is set when the potion is brewed so a PC can get a very powerful ability at low level.

Lets say you talk to your friendly LVL 12 wizard. You get them to brew you up six potions of Alter Self with extend spell on them. Each use will now last 4 hours. Yep, wizard has to pre-select what you turn into, but that is a fairly small price to pay depending on what type your character is and what the wizard is going to brew up for you.

Total cost as 7,200 gp and one feat.

Can be really fun in the right hands, but care should be taken in choosing what kind(s) of spells are available.

Thurbane
2016-12-05, 06:58 PM
I was mi-remembering the feat: it's actually 9 potions required (not that it makes much difference).

Here's the feat (should be OK to post under OGL, I believe) [from AEG's Relics]:
METABOLIZE MAGIC
Your body adapts to a particular magic potion, allowing you to manifest the potion's effects as a supernatural ability.
Prerequisites: Con 17+, Alchemy 5+, Base Fortitude save +8 or higher. The character must drink one dose of the chosen potion every day for six consecutive days before drinking three on the seventh day and taking this feat.
Effect: Your body learns to produce the chosen potion, magically generating it in your bloodstream. Once per day, as a standard action, you may use this ability, which has exactly the same effects as drinking the potion normally. This is a supernatural ability. You may take this feat multiple times, each time for a different potion.

Ashtagon
2016-12-06, 01:39 AM
I was mi-remembering the feat: it's actually 9 potions required (not that it makes much difference).

Here's the feat (should be OK to post under OGL, I believe) [from AEG's Relics]:
METABOLIZE MAGIC
Your body adapts to a particular magic potion, allowing you to manifest the potion's effects as a supernatural ability.
Prerequisites: Con 17+, Alchemy 5+, Base Fortitude save +8 or higher. The character must drink one dose of the chosen potion every day for six consecutive days before drinking three on the seventh day and taking this feat.
Effect: Your body learns to produce the chosen potion, magically generating it in your bloodstream. Once per day, as a standard action, you may use this ability, which has exactly the same effects as drinking the potion normally. This is a supernatural ability. You may take this feat multiple times, each time for a different potion.

That base Fortitude save means it won't come online until about level 12 (without cheese). Getting a self-only level 3 spell 1/day at that point should be fine, even for some of the more potent spells available (e.g., fly, haste).

John Longarrow
2016-12-06, 01:42 AM
Gouda says level 4...

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-06, 02:00 AM
Gouda says level 4...

Works nicely for someone entering Thrall of Juiblex as fast as possible. Also the Master Alchemist PrC can brew potions of up to 9th level and can brew multiple potions per day, so if you have money and can find one you can get some nice options.

Ashtagon
2016-12-06, 02:46 AM
Gouda says level 4...

In that case I take it back as too cheesy.

Thurbane
2016-12-06, 02:59 AM
The feat also spells it out as a supernatural ability, so it can't be dispelled, which is handy.

John Longarrow
2016-12-06, 02:51 PM
In that case I take it back as too cheesy.

Druid 1 gives craft (alchemy) and +2 Fort
Fighter 1 gives craft (alchemy) and +2 Fort
Barbarian 1 gives craft (alchemy) and +2 Fort
Ranger 1 gives craft (alchemy) and +2 Fort

For really scary,

Barbarian 1
Ranger 1
Druid 4

qualifies to take this as their 6th level feat and is a core only build that is pretty fun to play. Druid that can track in human form and RAGE when wildshaping is a fun time!