PDA

View Full Version : Race Specific Classes

The_Dodger
2016-12-04, 11:22 PM
I'm working on a new campaign setting for a future game and I have a fairly specific idea of how I want certain things to work For example, there are two different types of magic in this setting and I want only two different races to be able to use them.

Is it unreasonable to restrict certain classes to specific races? Would this come across as too limiting? I'm just looking for opinions.

ChaosStar
2016-12-04, 11:44 PM
I'm working on a new campaign setting for a future game and I have a fairly specific idea of how I want certain things to work For example, there are two different types of magic in this setting and I want only two different races to be able to use them.

Is it unreasonable to restrict certain classes to specific races? Would this come across as too limiting? I'm just looking for opinions.

Maybe restrict them to being prestige classes instead of base classes. There are quite a few race specific prestige classes, but no(iirc) race specific base classes.

DedWards
2016-12-05, 03:51 AM
You could use Pathfinder's Racial archetypes as a guide. Basically allowing the players to still take any class, but they have to be a specific race to get bonuses specific to their race by the race's archetype swapping out the normal abilities for more specific abilities.

Or you could do it in a slightly different way: "lock" spells off from each class, allowing them to be unlocked by being the required race. This option will probably be most difficult as you need to go through each spell individually to decide which ones are locked.

Or you could just do this:

Maybe restrict them to being prestige classes instead of base classes. There are quite a few race specific prestige classes, but no(iirc) race specific base classes.

Grim Reader
2016-12-05, 04:44 AM
I've spent some time thinking about a setting where each race has its own type of spellcasting. For example Elves get Sorcery (Sandmans Cluracan always sounded like a Sorcerer to me), and humans get Wizardry. Meaning only a half-elf can be an Ultimate Magus. Orcs get Adepts, etc.

I had to give that up. I still think it is a great idea for worldbuilding, but its far too restrictive for players I think.

Muggins
2016-12-05, 05:06 AM
I could certainly see a setting in which all base classes are mundane, and only through race-specific feats and prestige classes can one obtain the ability to cast spells or use spell-like abilities. Don't give them heavy pre-requisites - there are prestige classes that can be entered at level 3 with no cheese required - but make sure they actually require some effort to qualify for, beyond just being of the race.

John Longarrow
2016-12-05, 02:02 PM
Ask your players.

If they are cool with the idea go for it! If they don't want to adhere to your restrictions, don't.

In the end it depends on what your group finds fun. If only Elves can be wizards but only Humans can be Clerics, great. Just think about what the impact will be on each race in setting.

Ssalarn
2016-12-05, 02:29 PM
Have you seen the 3pp Pathfinder book Spheres of Power? It features a modular magic system that can be implemented with casting traditions, which dictate how magic functions within that tradition. You could lock the races to specific casting tradition(s), or even specific magical spheres. The whole book is basically about creating balanced and customizable magic options for GMS and players alike and a big part of it is intended specifically for addressing issues like the one you're dealing with.

NomGarret
2016-12-07, 09:02 AM
As long as this is clearly explained as setting related and those choices make sense, I would be on board with the idea and I think most players would, too. Don't just use this to ban elves from being druids because they couldn't be in 2e.

Beyond that, I think a lot of it will hinge on how many total races and classes there are. A core-only game will probably feel more awkwardly stifled whereas in a game with everything otherwise on the table, and you say "only dromites can be psions" the options are so broad that people will hardly notice and you might lose some of the effect.

atemu1234
2016-12-07, 09:22 AM
I could certainly see a setting in which all base classes are mundane, and only through race-specific feats and prestige classes can one obtain the ability to cast spells or use spell-like abilities. Don't give them heavy pre-requisites - there are prestige classes that can be entered at level 3 with no cheese required - but make sure they actually require some effort to qualify for, beyond just being of the race.

Reminds me of what D20 Modern did, tbh.