PDA

View Full Version : TV Just binged on Limitless.

Leewei
2016-12-05, 12:12 PM
Wow. Very smart, fun series.

The concept is the development of a drug that makes someone incredibly smart, but at the cost of debilitating side effects that completely wreck them and their minds after a very short period of time.

After getting hooked on this, Brian Finch, a 28-year old temp and musician, gets coerced into helping the FBI.

The main character has an artificial immunity to the dementia caused by repeated use. This comes at a cost, though - those providing the shots that stave off the dementia expect Brian to regularly do them favors.

The series explores trust, ethics, power, and ambition. It is loaded with Xanatos gambits, self-aware and genre savvy exposition, bizarre coping mechanisms, and has more than a few nods to geek and gaming culture.

Has anyone else seen this? What do you think?

Mato
2016-12-05, 12:22 PM
I liked it, there was a petition for Netflix to continue the series but nothing has happened. Like Firefly that's all you get.

Leewei
2016-12-06, 11:02 AM
Looks like this was a series based on a movie from a few years back. The villain in the series was the protagonist in the movie. I guess I'll have to watch that as well.

It's a shame the show got canceled. It often played out like a police procedural, but there was a good mix of menace to it, as well as a fair amount of fun. (One episode was a black op mixed with Ferris Bueller's Day Off.)

Feytalist
2016-12-06, 11:26 AM
Definitely watch the film. It's - like the show - smart, engaging and fast-paced. Some interesting visuals as well. The show has a much more comedic tone though, something that initially put me off it. The film is definitely darker.

I wouldn't call Eddie Mora a villain really, but, well... watch the movie. Oh, and just so you know... the film in turn was based off a novel by the name of The Dark Fields, written by Alan Glynn, and it's even darker than the movie.

Anyway. The film was one of my favourites of 2011. Never really got why it wasn't better received, but, oh well.

Leewei
2016-12-06, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't call Eddie Mora a villain really, but, well... watch the movie.

I'm sure Morra is the hero of his own story.

His dealings with Finch tend to be downright sinister. He's keeping Finch alive because he's useful. It's implied that Finch reminds him of himself.

The real bad guy in the series ends up being Sands. Through most of it, though, Sands is working for Morra, who almost certainly has his eyes open to who his security expert is and what he does.

The "Purge" that occurs prior to the story start seems to be something orchestrated at Morra's behest. That makes him responsible for a lot of killing.

Kitten Champion
2016-12-06, 05:04 PM
By the time I was considering watching it, they already announced it was going to be axed and they were only going to play the rest of the episodes because they literally had no content to replace it.

It seems like it pretty much died from poor numbers from the pilot on.