PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How can I make people lycanthropes without an already-infected creature?

Coidzor
2016-12-05, 01:47 PM
Bonus points for any LE-aligned sources of lycanthropy.

If there is no way, what sort of level of spell effect do you think it would be in line with for possible spell research?

Segev
2016-12-05, 01:57 PM
Bestow curse or greater bestow curse could probably do it. The infected form of lycanthropy is expressly a curse, after all.

Wish could likewise probably do it.

If you're willing to go narrative with it, a ritual or ceremony which bonds a man to a beast, perhaps shamanic or divine (dedicated to an appropriate god of beasts or nature) in influence.

Ssalarn
2016-12-05, 01:58 PM
Just to be clear, is this more a "I want to play a lycanthrope" thing, or a "I want to farm a controllable army of lycanthropic minions" thing? Horror Adventures has a lycanthrope barbarian archetype, and the 3pp book Spheres of Power has several different ways of creating a lycanthropic character, but I don't think either of those options includes a communicable carrier clause.
If you're going to custom create an appropriate spell for creating infectious lycans, create undead is probably a good starting point. I think most lycans typically fall in the middle between ghouls and shadows power-wise as far as self-perpetuating undead go, so create lycanhrope would probably be about a 7th level spell based on existing options.

Coidzor
2016-12-05, 03:04 PM
Just to be clear, is this more a "I want to play a lycanthrope" thing, or a "I want to farm a controllable army of lycanthropic minions" thing? Horror Adventures has a lycanthrope barbarian archetype, and the 3pp book Spheres of Power has several different ways of creating a lycanthropic character, but I don't think either of those options includes a communicable carrier clause.
If you're going to custom create an appropriate spell for creating infectious lycans, create undead is probably a good starting point. I think most lycans typically fall in the middle between ghouls and shadows power-wise as far as self-perpetuating undead go, so create lycanhrope would probably be about a 7th level spell based on existing options.

A mix between having lycanthrope minions, infecting key governmental officials to change their alignment and ethos and/or destabilize the state, and/or creating a few sleeper serial killers.

Vizzerdrix
2016-12-05, 03:15 PM
I know 3.5 has a way to do this. Would that help any? If so look in the spell compendium. I think it was a higher level divine spell that made were rats or something.

Segev
2016-12-05, 03:26 PM
A mix between having lycanthrope minions, infecting key governmental officials to change their alignment and ethos and/or destabilize the state, and/or creating a few sleeper serial killers.

Is there a reason you can't start with a wererat? Maybe a cohort, or a thrall, or a hireling or henchman?

Coidzor
2016-12-05, 04:52 PM
Is there a reason you can't start with a wererat? Maybe a cohort, or a thrall, or a hireling or henchman?

I'll look into whether I can recruit any, but I'm interested in knowing if there's a way in case plan A: Find one in the sewers or criminal underground and make them an offer they can't refuse doesn't pan out.

I know 3.5 has a way to do this. Would that help any? If so look in the spell compendium. I think it was a higher level divine spell that made were rats or something.

I wanna say Curse of Lycanthropy is a 6th level spell and kills a person and makes a small number of were-rats from their remains with ill-defined statistics, but that do want to spread their lycanthropy.

It would be a great way to execute a prisoner, especially with a rod of Maximize Spell.

Currently in a PF-only game, though, so mostly only a potential template to crib at present.