PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Metamagic with multiple powers and/or uses

schreier
2016-12-05, 02:17 PM
Would it be reasonable to make a metamagic rod with either extra uses, or extra "feats?"

For example, a greater metamagic rod of Quicken spell with 6 uses per day? Or a greater metamagic rod of quick and empower?

I'm guessing if it had 2 "feats," only one could be applied to a spell to avoid violating that restriction.

Would you charge 50% of the cheaper?

For example, If you had a greater rod of Quicken Spell and Silent Spell, would that cost:
24,500 (greater silent spell)
170,000 (greater quicken spell)
12,250 (1/2 of greater silent spell because it's adding a second power)
______

If you did the same but wanted 6 uses of quick (so 6 quicken, 3 silent):
340,000 (greater quicken x2)
24,500 (1/2 of greater silent x2)
______

Could you put a metamagic "rod" into a glove or bracer?

drack
2016-12-05, 04:02 PM
Combining slotted items you take the cost of the most expensive +1.5x the cost of each subsequent item. If your GM allows the alternate item pricing rules in the magic item compendium then you just add them all together. Generally you should ask your GM on a case by case basis for each item when combining items. The half price for cheaper items is when they initially didn't take an item slot like an ioun stone or night sticks.

Hope that helps. :smallsmile:

Deophaun
2016-12-05, 04:27 PM
Chances are, all that you are really doing there is saving weight, which is just as easily done with a handy haversack. So, for a normal metamagic rod; one that's not a weapon, yes, it's reasonable for a DM to allow you to just stack uses of the same thing on the same item (and the custom item guidelines indicate a linear relationship of price to use; up until 5, at which point you get all the uses for no further increase: but that's going to be a bridge too far so we'll ignore that part).

As for putting it in a glove, there is the casting glove (MIC), which while expensive does exactly what you want.

drack
2016-12-05, 05:21 PM
Eh, it's a move action to draw it from a haversack or a belt and more if you have to dig. It's less about being a weapon then about being something you have to hold. As for when/if limitless happens, that's by GM. Personally I tend never to give away at will use, though that's probably because I'm cynical and know the potential for abuse. :smalltongue:

Deophaun
2016-12-05, 05:34 PM
Eh, it's a move action to draw it from a haversack or a belt and more if you have to dig. It's less about being a weapon then about being something you have to hold.
With different functions, yes. With the same, not so much: the player just starts out combat with the one that has the most charges remaining anyway, which makes digging through packs an edge case. Of course, if a player does need 4 charges of Quicken Spell in a single combat, the DM should pat himself on the back, not bemoan the decision to allow the uses to stack without penalty.

drack
2016-12-05, 05:43 PM
While I mostly agree within that context, there's also high level and epic combat. I've also run a rather long mid-level combat where the players had to put their cards on the table but that one strikes me as more the exception then the rule. For the most part you've convinced me though. :smallsmile:

schreier
2016-12-05, 10:47 PM
Another reason to seek to have multiple uses on the same rod would be the aforementioned glove of casting - it only holds one rod at a time, so this would give you that option (As well as multiple metamagic options, if you put different rod powers onto it).

The 5 times becoming "unlimited" could be really handy, for example - for 122,500 (24,500 x 5) could make every spell you cast from that point forward silent.

If you allow a character to put the power onto a worn item (For example, a glove or bracer, instead of the rod) - the more uses becomes even more valuable. For example, bracers of armor +8 with quicken spell 3x per day (or 6x)

Mordaedil
2016-12-06, 02:42 AM
Eh, it's a move action to draw it from a haversack or a belt and more if you have to dig. It's less about being a weapon then about being something you have to hold. As for when/if limitless happens, that's by GM. Personally I tend never to give away at will use, though that's probably because I'm cynical and know the potential for abuse. :smalltongue:

Uh, the Handy Haversack's ability means digging is not going to be necessary.

drack
2016-12-06, 03:05 AM
Uh, the Handy Haversack's ability means digging is not going to be necessary.

Ay, which is why it's only a move action, like drawing a sword from a sheath.

schreier
2016-12-06, 09:10 AM
(and the custom item guidelines indicate a linear relationship of price to use; up until 5, at which point you get all the uses for no further increase: but that's going to be a bridge too far so we'll ignore that part).

As for putting it in a glove, there is the casting glove (MIC), which while expensive does exactly what you want.

Which custom item guidelines are these? DMG? MIC?

Also - I meant actually add the power to a slotted item (so a bracer with the ability) as opposed to the glove of casting which stores the rod and allows it to be used.

And would you allow a greater metamagic rod of quickening for 850,000 (5x170,000) to give the caster the option of making every spell level 9 or lower quickened? Could it work with multispell (epic feat) -- obviously high level, but that would replace 9 epic feats (automatic quicken x9 since it only covers 1 level per feat now)

This would be in a stupidly overpowered campaign obviously, but taking it to a theoretical maximum

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-06, 09:23 AM
Actually, the rules on metamagic rods specify that you can only use one rod on a spell at a time, which means that, if you have multiple metamagics on a single rod, you could potentially use any or all of the feats on the same spell.

A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder.From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicRods).

schreier
2016-12-06, 10:14 AM
Actually, the rules on metamagic rods specify that you can only use one rod on a spell at a time, which means that, if you have multiple metamagics on a single rod, you could potentially use any or all of the feats on the same spell.

From here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicRods).

Interesting point ... obviously, the premade metamagic rods all have one feat each, but you could potentially allow a multi-feat one to apply multiple feats to the same spell

Deophaun
2016-12-06, 12:34 PM
Which custom item guidelines are these? DMG? MIC?
DMG. If you look at the table, you'll note that "Charges per day" results in you dividing the item's price by five and then multiplying the result by the number of charges. If there are no charges and it's just continuous or use-activated, then there's no modification: it has the price of 5x an item with a single daily charge.

Also - I meant actually add the power to a slotted item (so a bracer with the ability) as opposed to the glove of casting which stores the rod and allows it to be used.
No, although I would allow it on another held weapon.

And would you allow a greater metamagic rod of quickening for 850,000 (5x170,000) to give the caster the option of making every spell level 9 or lower quickened? Could it work with multispell (epic feat) -- obviously high level, but that would replace 9 epic feats (automatic quicken x9 since it only covers 1 level per feat now)
Nope. As I said before, that's crazy and best ignored. Fortunately, the custom magic item guidelines are just guidelines.

Interesting point ... obviously, the premade metamagic rods all have one feat each, but you could potentially allow a multi-feat one to apply multiple feats to the same spell
You can potentially allow anything to do anything; that's what Rule 0 is for.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-06, 12:43 PM
You can potentially allow anything to do anything; that's what Rule 0 is for.It's not so much "allow" as "not make a houserule against."

Troacctid
2016-12-06, 12:51 PM
By approving a custom item that does it, you would be making a houserule in favor of it.

Vogie
2016-12-06, 01:29 PM
Eh, it's a move action to draw it from a haversack or a belt and more if you have to dig. It's less about being a weapon then about being something you have to hold.

It could be a Swift action if you put the Rod into a Spring-loaded Wrist Sheath.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-06, 01:35 PM
By approving a custom item that does it, you would be making a houserule in favor of it.You mean by using the actual RAW provided in the MIC that explicitly gives actual rules for combining magic items?

So as I said, you'd have to houserule against it to prevent it.