PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin build for Curse of Strahd

TheBirba
2016-12-05, 09:47 PM
Hello everyone,

Me and my group are starting a new CoS campaign, and although I am familiar with the setting it will be my first CoS game.

As per the title, I am going to play a Paladin, however I have not decided hot to go just yet.

About the campaign:

The game allows no UA and we are using the standard stat array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and no point buy);
The other party members are Dwarven Barbarian, Halfling Rogue, Kenku Monk and Drow Warlock;
It will be a havy RP campaing so optimisation is mostly to satisfy my OCD.

I have decided to go with Half-Elf, so my stats will be 16, 10, 14, 8, 12, 16 (although the temptation of going Half-Orc with 15 in Charisma just for the coolness of it is strong).
I am probably going with the defence fighting style to leave my options open, although I'd like to be fighting S&B, and I am definitely going up to Paladin 6 because I want that aura.

My ideas are as below:

Oath of Devotion 6, Great Old One Warlock 4: this gives me the aura, 2 ASIs (Cha and Str?), Eldritch Blast, the Devil's Sight + Darkness combo, an Imp familiar (pact of the chain), an hilarious RP character, Telepathy.
Oath of Devotion 8, Great Old One Warlock 2: anti-charm aura (I expect this to be good in CoS), 2 ASIs, Eldritch Blast, Mask of Many Faces, Telepathy.
Oath of the Ancient 8, Archfey Warlock 2: anti-magic aura, 2 ASIs, Eldritch Blast, Mask of Many Faces, AoE charm, easiest RP of all.
Oath of Vengeance 6, Fiend Warlock 4: normal aura, 2 ASIs, Eldritch Blast, Devil Sight + Darkness combo, temp HP on kill, Imp familiar (pact of the chain) and an even more hilarious RP character overall.
Oath of Devotion 10: 2 ASIs, Aura of Courage (I expect this to also be good), lvl 3 spells, +4 HP.

So what are you opinions?

Disclaimers:
CoS is, obviously, supposed to have a lvl 10 cap;
Paladin 6 is non-negotiable;
I expect to be using most of my concentration on Bless or Protection from Evil, so might not even pick Hex up from warlock;
I'd choose a Warlock mainly for Eldritch Blast, some more utility and RP.

Specter
2016-12-05, 09:56 PM
I'd go either Ancients8/Lock 2 or Devotion 10. Sacred Weapon is good for Great Weapon Master, as is Ancients' anti-spell aura that makes you a great Mage Slayer. If I were you I'd worry only about damage with a little support if possible, the group can cover the rest.

Cespenar
2016-12-06, 02:19 AM
So, the options are Cthulhu's Chosen, Winter Knight, Blackguard, or normal Paladin?

I'd suggest Devotion 8/Warlock 2, partly because that'd be interesting to RP, and partly because of the anti-charm aura, which should trigger a few moments of awesome.

djreynolds
2016-12-06, 02:56 AM
Straight up 10 levels of devotion, no charm at 7th level with Aura of devotion.

Sacred weapon will be needed, dump dex and wear chainmail.

Take GWS and two-hand those swords, sacred weapon will negate the need for bless... kill and kill quickly... CoS in dangerous

Just max out charisma.

TheBirba
2016-12-06, 08:10 PM
So, the options are Cthulhu's Chosen, Winter Knight, Blackguard, or normal Paladin?

Well you can also suggest something else. :smallsmile:

Spore
2016-12-06, 08:25 PM
If your DM understands Ravenloft you WILL be tempted. If your DM plays well enough and you are not convicted enough you WILL fall (or become 7/oathbreaker), so uh... plan a second build for that eventuality.

Remember that some powers work differently (or not at all) in Ravenloft, such as Divine Sense. Also speaking from a RP standpoint, the direct approach might sometimes not be optimal at all. Your party can be subtle if they want (at least eh Dwarf doesnt get stealth disadvantage if he doesnt want to) so you might also want to be a little more subtle.

Not optimal at all but very fitting would be Paladin 6/Rogue 2/Warlock 2. Using mundane and mystical elements other than your holy powers. Also possible is Devotion Paladin 6/ Purple Dragon Knight 4 for the diplomatic route (if the evil is too dark you have to work WITH it).

Cespenar
2016-12-07, 04:00 AM

Nah, they all seem cool enough. I think it should depend on what you think will present the best RP opportunities.

Specter
2016-12-07, 09:40 AM

If I were to suggest something else, it would be Devotion 8/Fighter 2. That way you get another Fighting Style, and using Action Surge to activate Sacred Weapon means you don't waste your first turn in combat on that.

TheBirba
2016-12-07, 11:54 PM
If I were to suggest something else, it would be Devotion 8/Fighter 2. That way you get another Fighting Style, and using Action Surge to activate Sacred Weapon means you don't waste your first turn in combat on that.

That's also a good idea. :smallsmile: