PDA

View Full Version : Low-level assassin stat block?

Ronnocius
2016-12-05, 10:02 PM
So, I'm in need of an assassin/killer NPC for my campaign. The backstory is that during the night they are either asleep or enjoying some drinks at the bar when a killer barges in and attempts to assassinate them. The party is all 1st-level and there are three of them, but they usually can handle encounters meant for a party of 4. The ideal stat block would be something with a lot of hit points and quite powerful, but won't be able to easily slay a lone PC. The party might not have all of their resources available when they face the killer. I've been considering the spy and scout NPCs. I'm not averse to creating a custom stat block, but would prefer not to if there are other options. Thanks for any help.

Naanomi
2016-12-05, 10:11 PM
Not the best assassin if he barges in :smallbiggrin: maybe look at a thug or even a monster stat block of some sort (orc, bugbear, etc)

Goober4473
2016-12-06, 12:25 AM
The Athar Prophet Hunter from my Planar Bestiary (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary) might fit the bill if you remove the Denier of the Powers ability:

ATHAR PROPHET HUNTER
Medium humanoid (any), any alignment
Armor Class 16 (studded leather)
Hit Points 39 (6d8 + 12)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
11 (+0) 18 (+4) 14 (+2) 13 (+1) 10 (+0) 15 (+2)
Skills Deception +6, Insight +4, Perception +4,
Religion +3, Stealth +5
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages Common, any one other
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Denier of the Powers. The prophet hunter is immune to any spell or magical effect that originates from a deity, including cleric and paladin spells and abilities, and the magic of angels.

Sneak Attack (1/Turn). The prophet hunter deals an extra 7 (2d6) damage when it hits a target with a weapon attack and has advantage on the attack roll, or when the target is within 5 feet of an ally that isn't incapacitated and the prophet hunter doesn't have disadvantage on the attack roll.

ACTIONS

Multiattack. The prophet hunter makes two weapon attacks.

Dagger. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60, one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

Hand Crossbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 30/120 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much on a successful one.

JackPhoenix
2016-12-06, 01:11 AM
Refluffed Bugbear is good. It's reasonably tough with 27 hp, and it's got great damage output... though perhaps too great, with 2d8+2d6+2 damage in the first round, it's easily able to one-shot level 1 character. Even for a party, it could be harder foe than it's CR 1 suggests.

Spellbreaker26
2016-12-06, 08:39 AM
I suggest one or two Thugs, possibly with max HP if you want them to be dangerous. They decently fit the profile of hired killers, not top of the range but professional enough to be a challenge.

Specter
2016-12-06, 12:30 PM
Human Assassin 4
ST10, DX16, CO14, IN10, WI10, CH12
HP30, AC15 (studded)
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Perception, Stealth
Feats: Tough

Expertise (Athletics, Stealth)
Sneak Attack 2d6
Thieves' Cant
Cunning Action
Assassinate

This should be hard enough.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-06, 02:05 PM
Give a goblin a little more HP and call it a human. They only do a d6+2 (I'm AFB). They have nimble escape.

Addaran
2016-12-06, 06:54 PM
Was going to say, don't use an assassin on lvl 1 characters! You'll have lots of death.

Human Assassin 4
ST10, DX16, CO14, IN10, WI10, CH12
HP30, AC15 (studded)
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Perception, Stealth
Feats: Tough

Expertise (Athletics, Stealth)
Sneak Attack 2d6
Thieves' Cant
Cunning Action
Assassinate

This should be hard enough.

By hard enough, you mean that with average damage on the first attack, one character will take 24, probably insta-dying....
With cunning action, he can even flee or hide after that. So make sure he gets another attack at 3d6+3 (not an auto-crit at least)

Specter
2016-12-06, 08:58 PM
Was going to say, don't use an assassin on lvl 1 characters! You'll have lots of death.

By hard enough, you mean that with average damage on the first attack, one character will take 24, probably insta-dying....
With cunning action, he can even flee or hide after that. So make sure he gets another attack at 3d6+3 (not an auto-crit at least)

Average damage of 2d6+1d8+3 is 14.5. The nicest thing an assassin can do is drop someone on the first turn, because that's as good as he'll get. Unless of course hiding is easy, but as a DM that's controllable.

Naanomi
2016-12-06, 09:04 PM
That assassin is carrying a second weapon to exploit the autocrit round to the max right?

Ronnocius
2016-12-06, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. There is a particular reason I can't use thugs, so I'm looking at bugbears now. A goblin with increaed hit points might work as well. What are your thoughts on a scout? If I roll well for hit points he seems like a fair challenge if the PCs are confused and in separate rooms, taking a few rounds to regroup and defeat him. If possible I'm going to try to have him flee.

Addaran
2016-12-06, 09:53 PM
Average damage of 2d6+1d8+3 is 14.5. The nicest thing an assassin can do is drop someone on the first turn, because that's as good as he'll get. Unless of course hiding is easy, but as a DM that's controllable.

I was using a short sword for simplicity.

1d6( short sword) + 2d6 (sneak) +3. So 3d6+3. With a crit (assassinate) it becomes 6d6+3. Average of 24.

Like Naanomi said, that's not even using a second weapon to take advantage of the auto-crit. (2d6+3 probably will drop a lvl 1 wizard)

With expertise in stealth, the players sleeping or drinking, it really shouldn't be hard to get the surprise, for someone the players doesn't even know exist.

Specter
2016-12-06, 10:01 PM
I was using a short sword for simplicity.

1d6( short sword) + 2d6 (sneak) +3. So 3d6+3. With a crit (assassinate) it becomes 6d6+3. Average of 24.

Like Naanomi said, that's not even using a second weapon to take advantage of the auto-crit. (2d6+3 probably will drop a lvl 1 wizard)

With expertise in stealth, the players sleeping or drinking, it really shouldn't be hard to get the surprise, for someone the players doesn't even know exist.

Totally forgot about subclass. So maybe the solution is to make this guy a thief or something.

Addaran
2016-12-06, 11:10 PM
Totally forgot about subclass. So maybe the solution is to make this guy a thief or something.

Yeah, without the auto-crit, a rogue will still do good damage but it won't be auto-kill. Since it's only one guy, it kinda need to be dangerous. Thief would be nice, he can drop caltrops/ball-bearings to further annoy the team after downing one.

The Shadowdove
2016-12-06, 11:23 PM
By assassin I am guessing you mean more of a hired gun than a kill them and leave no Trace type.

Which can pretty much be anyone.

A skillful swordsman who takes pride in his ability would be kind of cool. Give him a cocky attitude and have him be relatively built but still lean, like he takes pride in his craft.

Id say a fighter battle master who uses the abilities that allow him to disarm and trip opponents or impair them. This way he can arrogantly outmaneuver them.

If your table is allowed the unearthed arcana PDFs, the weapon feats one has some useful abilities for hammer users or duelist swordsmen.

Lindonius
2016-12-06, 11:48 PM
Yeah, without the auto-crit, a rogue will still do good damage but it won't be auto-kill. Since it's only one guy, it kinda need to be dangerous. Thief would be nice, he can drop caltrops/ball-bearings to further annoy the team after downing one.

He wouldn't even need to kill anyone. In my experience players are even more motivated to catch someone who's stolen something from them than they are catching someone who merely tried to kill them.