PDA

View Full Version : Action surge question

PloxBox
2016-12-06, 12:09 AM
I've noticed while reading through the forums people saying that when you action surge you only get the attack action, meaning a dual wielder can make only 3 attacks at 2nd level (two main hand and one off hand).

Yet when I read the ability in the handbook, it says you may take another action and possible bonus action.

Am I missing something? An errata or she advice that says otherwise?

Or am I misinterpreting what other people are posting?

ad_hoc
2016-12-06, 12:16 AM
You have left out some words.

"...on top of your regular action and possible bonus action."

Sigreid
2016-12-06, 12:21 AM
I don't get the only attack action. It plays out like this, normally get your movement+your action (doesn't have to be a combat interaction)+potential bonus action. If you action surge then on the end of that you can add another +action (again, doesn't have to be an attack action but that's probably the most common use). With your added action you could dash, dodge, help or any other valid action.

MeeposFire
2016-12-06, 12:26 AM
When it mentions the bonus action the idea was that it was clearing up that you still get your normal abilities along with this extra action. Unfortunately it ends up causing more confusion than help.

PloxBox
2016-12-06, 03:50 AM
You have left out some words.

"...on top of your regular action and possible bonus action."

Somehow I missed that part. Turns out 4 eyes don't make seeing easier.

When it mentions the bonus action the idea was that it was clearing up that you still get your normal abilities along with this extra action. Unfortunately it ends up causing more confusion than help.

Doing a bit more digging, I see what you mean.

I don't get the only attack action. It plays out like this, normally get your movement+your action (doesn't have to be a combat interaction)+potential bonus action. If you action surge then on the end of that you can add another +action (again, doesn't have to be an attack action but that's probably the most common use). With your added action you could dash, dodge, help or any other valid action.

That was me being dumb and not proofreading my initial post, though I did say "action" vs "attack action" later in the same post.