PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Beast Companions and ...................... timing

Finback
2016-12-06, 03:07 AM
So, one of my players has a ranger with a beast buddy. I know that they can use the beast's reaction on their turn to get in an attack. But that raises two questions - one fairly obvious, one less so.

The obvious one is - the beast gets its own initiative, yes? Or else there's no point to it having a reaction (which by definition is taken outside its turn).

The less obvious one is - if the PC is fighting at range, and the beast is next to them - they cannot use the reaction to move AND have the beast attack, correct? I handwaved it away for the game (since they were fighting some pretty low level mooks, and the entire fight was more to introduce the new character to the group, and showcase how their new abilities all could work together).

I think I'm reading things right by definition though - the beast is only going to get a reaction attack in *when the enemy is in range* e.g. standing alongside.

JellyPooga
2016-12-06, 06:25 AM
There are three criteria for the beast companion to get his reaction attack;

1) it cannot have used its reaction that turn already.
2) it must be able to see its master make the Attack Action.
3) it must have a valid target in range of one of its Attacks.

The ability gives the beast no ability to move as part of its reaction. If it's out of range with any attacks, it can't use its reaction to attack.

Whether the Ranger is using a melee or ranged attack is irrelevant.

Millstone85
2016-12-06, 07:53 AM
the beast gets its own initiative, yes?It depends. Are we talking about a PHB ranger or an UA revised ranger?

In the PHB, the beast companion shares its master's initiative and turn.
They also have only one action between the two of them.

In the UA, the beast companion has its own initiative and turn.
And it can be commanded at no action cost for the ranger.

However, there is a 5th level UA feature that lets the beast make another attack with its reaction.
The trigger is the ranger's own use of the Attack action.

a reaction (which by definition is taken outside its turn).A creature gets one reaction per round. It isn't necessarily taken outside the creature's turn.
But the 5th level UA feature precises that you must use the Attack action "on your turn".
So yeah, the beast's reaction would also be on your turn. No readied coordinated attack.

Vogonjeltz
2016-12-06, 07:43 PM
In the PHB, the beast companion shares its master's initiative and turn.
They also have only one action between the two of them.

Minor correction, the Beast has its own turn: "It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn't take an action unless you command it to." (PHB 93)

However, it appears that the OP is asking about the Unearthed Arcana test material, as he specifically references a reaction attack when the PC attacks.

It occurs that a fun interaction from the OG ranger is that they can command their beast to attack, get an attack themselves, and then use their bonus action to hide by level 14.

Millstone85
2016-12-07, 02:40 AM
Minor correction, the Beast has its own turn: "It takes its turn on your initiative, though it doesn't take an action unless you command it to." (PHB 93)Should this be treated like an initiative tie? Otherwise, I see no difference between "takes its turn on your initiative" and "shares your initiative and turn".

However, it appears that the OP is asking about the Unearthed Arcana test material, as he specifically references a reaction attack when the PC attacks.Actually, the opening post never makes a clear reference to the "when the PC attacks" part, only a general statement about the PC fighting at range. The OP also asks whether or not the beast gets its own initiative. I think there is room for doubt here.

Vogonjeltz
2016-12-07, 07:36 PM
Should this be treated like an initiative tie? Otherwise, I see no difference between "takes its turn on your initiative" and "shares your initiative and turn".

I think you're not wrong, the only scenario I suppose would be if you were to somehow lose your turn, the beast doesn't.

Actually, the opening post never makes a clear reference to the "when the PC attacks" part, only a general statement about the PC fighting at range. The OP also asks whether or not the beast gets its own initiative. I think there is room for doubt here.

I'm referring to this:

The less obvious one is - if the PC is fighting at range, and the beast is next to them - they cannot use the reaction to move AND have the beast attack, correct?

PHB BM doesn't use its reaction to have the beast do anything, so I inferred it must be the UA material.