PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cohort Issues

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-06, 03:51 AM
So I am about to play a 17th level spirit shaman. This is a redux of an old character who took wild cohort at level one so he still has the feat, but I ran into an issue: neither my 17th level class feature nor the spell Master Earth permit me to take along anyone else, so how can I get my cohort (currently a dire bear) to come along with me when I use them?

prufock
2016-12-06, 09:58 AM
Turn it into equipment or place it in an extradimensional space. Or kill it and revive later?

Segev
2016-12-06, 10:36 AM
A magic item based on any of Leomund's secret chest, hoard gullet, or familiar pocket might work. A portable hole or enveloping pit could also work, if the wild cohort can fit inside.

At level 17, you might be able to afford a custom item of Mordenkainen's magnificent mansion that opens on the same space each time, and have your wild cohort lurk in there while you transit.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-06, 10:44 AM
Wild Cohort is just a smidgen too big for even the largest extradimensional holding space. That was the first thing I tried. Bag of Holding's weight limit is 6500 lbs too low and Portable Hole just is not big enough.

DM generally disallows custom magic items, but I may be able to sell him on a modified something. Problen is I am down to 15000 gold unless I abuse shape change (and that will get him salty right quick).

Inevitability
2016-12-06, 10:49 AM
Put a Ring of Reduction (10000 GP) on the bear, which reduces its volume and weight to one-eight the normal amount, then put it in an extradimensional storage space.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-06, 10:55 AM
Put a Ring of Reduction (10000 GP) on the bear, which reduces its volume and weight to one-eight the normal amount, then put it in an extradimensional storage space.

Perfect. Only question is what book is the ring in?

Inevitability
2016-12-06, 10:59 AM
Perfect. Only question is what book is the ring in?

Lords of Madness.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-06, 11:00 AM
Lords of Madness.

Awesome thank you.

Darrin
2016-12-06, 11:35 AM
Shrink Collar (10000 GP, A&EG p. 80) is cheaper and knocks the size down to small. So weight goes from 8000 lbs down to 125 lbs.

If the dire bear is going to be in there for an extended period, you'll probably want to add a Necklace of Adaptation or a Bottle of Air + Wind Tube (Stormwrack). Ring of Sustenance takes care of food/water.

Segev
2016-12-06, 11:42 AM
If you can make it able to survive, there's also the option of shifting into a purple worm or other huge swallow-whole creature and ingesting your cohort, using your travel power, and then disgorging him when you're both there.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-12-06, 11:48 AM
I do not intend to use any shape changing spells at this time. I just finished using a character with incredible shape shifting abilities and want something different (although I may use shape change anyways to force good items on our worst player, so if I am already there...?)

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-12-06, 08:53 PM
Question: where can i find Wild Cohort?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-12-06, 09:14 PM
Question: where can i find Wild Cohort?

On a web article On archive.wizards.com and my local storage. :smalltongue::smallamused: