PDA

View Full Version : Menhir / Leyline Sage

Arkhios
2016-12-06, 10:53 AM
I have this character concept from Pathfinder which I'd like to import to 5th edition. For now, this is mostly a thought experiment, and partly for fun a direct conversion with accurate level transition.

He was an aasimar menhir savant (a druid archetype), with an animal companion that had a "celestial" template (a racial feat only aasimars could take).

Mechanically he was a powerful caster with even more powerful animal companion.

Since druids in 5th edition don't have animal companions I'm at an impasse with having to decide whether the animal companion or the spells were the most important part of the concept. After long pondering I realised that it's the animal companion.

Now, I know I'll make him primarily as a ranger, but I'm torn which path I want to take to emulate some druidism, but I'm planning to take Shillelagh somehow. Either taking Magic Initiate (druid), or Multiclassing into Druid or Nature Cleric.

I'm inclined to favor the Revised Version of Ranger from the latest Ranger UA.

Point-bought stats:
Str 15/10, Dex 14/8, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 10 (yes, high wisdom ranger - intentionally)

What I'm trying to figure out, is which one of the following options would be the best

Original character was/is at 7th level, and in all cases he would have fey and fiends as favored enemies.

Option #1:
Ranger 7 [STR 10, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 10]
ASI (Magic Initiate: Shillelagh, Thorn Whip, Detect Magic 1/long rest)
Pros: Least impact on animal companion's effectiveness.
Cons: Very limited spellcasting, low-ish wisdom.

Option #2:
Ranger 6 / Druid 1 [STR 10, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 10]
ASI (+2 wisdom)
Druid Cantrips: Shillelagh, Thorn Whip
Pros: Staff doubles as Druidic Focus and as shillelagh, high wisdom, most spellcasting synergy.
Cons: "Can't" use metal armor.

Option #3:
Ranger 3/Cleric 1/Ranger 6 [STR 16, DEX 8, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 10; Heavy Armor (any), Dueling Style]
ASI (Heavy Armor Master)
Cleric Cantrips: Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy + Shillelagh (Nature Domain)
Pros: heavy armor, high-ish strength, most spell options & cantrips
Cons: least thematic spellcasting synergy, low-ish wisdom.

CursedRhubarb
2016-12-06, 11:24 AM
I couldn't help but grin at the post title. If you've read the first book in the Critical Failures series there is a very nice scene involving a menhir next to a town gate and a character that didn't know what one was. 😂

Arkhios
2016-12-06, 11:40 AM
I couldn't help but grin at the post title. If you've read the first book in the Critical Failures series there is a very nice scene involving a menhir next to a town gate and a character that didn't know what one was. 😂

I'm not familiar with the series, so I don't know of that scene, and therefore of any possible implications.

I do hope, however, that you weren't implying I wouldn't know what a menhir is. I'm well aware of them being standing stones and what that means. I also have read that they've been theorized having connections with leylines, whether or not that is true.

The character would belong to a small druidic sect who does believe so, and that's all what's relevant for now. The rest is only crunch.

CursedRhubarb
2016-12-06, 02:12 PM
I do hope, however, that you weren't implying I wouldn't know what a menhir is. I'm well aware of them being standing stones and what that means.

Not implying that at all. In the book the group is playing D&D, though name changed for copyright reasons, and one character is playing an Elf wizard. The DM describes the scene with the city gates, guards, and a large black menhir to the side of the gate. The elf goes and starts talking to the menhir, which leads to a confused guard asking why the elf is talking to the menhir. The elf replies he thought the menhir should be included in the conversation and when the guard says that the menhir is not a person the elf calls him a racist.

Arkhios
2016-12-06, 02:42 PM
Not implying that at all. In the book the group is playing D&D, though name changed for copyright reasons, and one character is playing an Elf wizard. The DM describes the scene with the city gates, guards, and a large black menhir to the side of the gate. The elf goes and starts talking to the menhir, which leads to a confused guard asking why the elf is talking to the menhir. The elf replies he thought the menhir should be included in the conversation and when the guard says that the menhir is not a person the elf calls him a racist.

ROFL! ...maybe elves know something about menhirs that we don't! O_o

Arkhios
2016-12-08, 12:13 AM
Anyway, thoughts about the build(s) and order of levels, anyone?

Malifice
2016-12-08, 12:50 AM
I have this character concept from Pathfinder which I'd like to import to 5th edition. For now, this is mostly a thought experiment, and partly for fun a direct conversion with accurate level transition.

He was an aasimar menhir savant (a druid archetype), with an animal companion that had a "celestial" template (a racial feat only aasimars could take).

Mechanically he was a powerful caster with even more powerful animal companion.

Since druids in 5th edition don't have animal companions I'm at an impasse with having to decide whether the animal companion or the spells were the most important part of the concept. After long pondering I realised that it's the animal companion.

Animal friendship (druid spell) lasts 24 hours (no concentration) and works on any beast (no CR limit). Gives you advantage on animal handling checks (plus any RP fluff the DM wants). Beast Bond (druid spell) lets you mentally communicate with it, and gives it advantage on attack rolls. Get proficiency in handle animal and go nuts.

Like; just find a beast, and befriend it. Treat it well, and it'll probably stick around in any event. If it tries to wander off, just keep spamming animal friendship (a 1st level spell) until it fails its save. You can often cast it before the last one wears off in any case.

Keep it well fed, and rub its ears a lot.

Also; conjure animals (you summon the critter from the mystical ley line energy) might work.

Arkhios
2016-12-08, 01:00 AM
Animal friendship (druid spell) lasts 24 hours (no concentration) and works on any beast (no CR limit). Gives you advantage on animal handling checks (plus any RP fluff the DM wants). Beast Bond (druid spell) lets you mentally communicate with it, and gives it advantage on attack rolls. Get proficiency in handle animal and go nuts.

Like; just find a beast, and befriend it. Treat it well, and it'll probably stick around in any event. If it tries to wander off, just keep spamming animal friendship (a 1st level spell) until it fails its save. You can often cast it before the last one wears off in any case.

Keep it well fed, and rub its ears a lot.

Also; conjure animals (you summon the critter from the mystical ley line energy) might work.

Not a bad idea at all, I had seriously overlooked those spells.

Which Circle would you suggest (could be one from the UA); if Land, which terrain would be best for menhir/leylines theme?

Malifice
2016-12-08, 03:04 AM
Not a bad idea at all, I had seriously overlooked those spells.

Which Circle would you suggest (could be one from the UA); if Land, which terrain would be best for menhir/leylines theme?

You could fluff any of the circles man.

Just make the ley lines the source of your magical power.

Is unearthed arcana in?

Arkhios
2016-12-08, 03:48 AM
You could fluff any of the circles man.

Just make the ley lines the source of your magical power.

Is unearthed arcana in?

In theory, yes, but I think I'd best have alternatives, one with AL legal focus and other with UA allowed, but little else in regards to homebrew.

A little further details from his background.

Born to a nomadic tribe in a region not unlike Mongolia, where he would be given name Naranbaatar which translates roughly to "Sun Hero" in mongolian (if I remember correctly); fitting name for a Protector Aasimar (could be Scourge Aasimar too, of course).

He traveled alone for a while until he encountered a spirit which claimed to be his Angelic Guide, in a form of great siberian tiger. Naranbaatar gave the spirit the name Sage, and Sage would travel with him as a loyal companion far and wide around the world, following the ley lines wherever they might lead, helping those in need.

Ruleswise his background would be Far Traveler, and it's important to note that his origins should be easily imported to any campaign setting, not getting hung up with specific region in a specific setting (such as Taan in Forgotten Realms).