PDA

View Full Version : Question about mage hand

Trezac
2016-12-06, 12:56 PM
Hi all
If I hold a weapon in my mage hand can I use my action to help my team mate fight (avantage for 1 attack ) ?

Specter
2016-12-06, 12:59 PM
By RAW no, because the hand can't take the Help action.

Trezac
2016-12-06, 01:02 PM
Thanks. Do you know a cantrip I can use togive avantage to my friends ?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-06, 01:55 PM
By RAW no, because the hand can't take the Help action.

It doesn't actually say it can't... though I believe this was Sagely Advised or Errata'd somewhere. It's notable that an Arcane Trickster gains the ability to Help themselves only with the Hand at level 13.

Advantage can be given by the DM for creative play; spells like Gust and Minor Illusion could create it under some DMs.

The other option is Guidance. +1d4 is not that different from advantage on average, though it won't apply to attacks.

Specter
2016-12-06, 02:33 PM

True Strike. But beware, it only kicks in at the next turn. It's overall garbage. EDIT: Nope, that's only yourself.

If you really want to dish out advantage to friends nicely, be either a Wolf Barbarian or a Mastermind Rogue.

BiPolar
2016-12-06, 02:36 PM

Advantage is a pretty big...advantage :) There isn't a cantrip that can do it for you, but there are spell options you have that can grant it (like Faerie Fire.)

Otherwise, you'll need to either have a familiar or wade into battle and use the Help action.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-06, 02:43 PM
If you really want to dish out advantage to friends nicely, be either a Wolf Barbarian or a Mastermind Rogue.

Or a Princess (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482608-Zaydos-Princess-Updated-for-5e)!

Sorry about the shameless self-promotion, but I put a lot of effort into that class...

tieren
2016-12-06, 02:52 PM
Advantage is a pretty big...advantage :) There isn't a cantrip that can do it for you, but there are spell options you have that can grant it (like Faerie Fire.)

Otherwise, you'll need to either have a familiar or wade into battle and use the Help action.

You don't have to wade into battle, you can just use the Help action. That could be waving your arms at the enemy to distract them, it could be yelling a taunt, it could be just calling out range distances or something to the archer, etc...

You literally don't need a cantrip because everyone can do it for the cost of an action without any magic whatsoever.

EvilAnagram
2016-12-06, 02:56 PM
You don't have to wade into battle, you can just use the Help action. That could be waving your arms at the enemy to distract them, it could be yelling a taunt, it could be just calling out range distances or something to the archer, etc...

You literally don't need a cantrip because everyone can do it for the cost of an action without any magic whatsoever.

AFB, but I believe you need to be adjacent to the targeted enemy to do that.

tieren
2016-12-06, 03:07 PM
erghh, I stand corrected, enemy must be within 5 feet of you to Help with the attack.

OP could perhaps get an owl familiar to flyby and use the Help action instead.

Trezac
2016-12-06, 03:32 PM
I am looking to give avantage at distance as a level 1 mage. I already know for the owl but it use the familiar action so I will use it. I plan a non damaging mage so I need something to do with my cantrip, any idea ?

BiPolar
2016-12-06, 03:48 PM
I am looking to give avantage at distance as a level 1 mage. I already know for the owl but it use the familiar action so I will use it. I plan a non damaging mage so I need something to do with my cantrip, any idea ?

Who is in your party? Are you or is anyone a halfling similarly sized creature? If so, minor illusion could provide them cover.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-12-06, 04:07 PM

Playing a non-violent mage at low levels can get boring very quickly. I DM for one such character, and she often didn't have much to do in combat situations. You've only got so many slots for Sleep or Faerie Fire, and Protection from Good and Evil is pretty niche nowadays. It gets better when you get second and third level spells and more slots, but at level 1 a wizard is casting cantrips most rounds. I'd strongly recommend against playing a pacifist wizard at level 1 or 2. Maybe have a epiphany when you level up and decide to leave your violent ways behind?

As an illustration, I'm playing a wizard at the moment with Firebolt, Gust and Minor Illusion. I've found that, no matter how creative I get, 90% of combat rounds still call for a Firebolt.

Trezac
2016-12-06, 04:12 PM
No there is no small size. All humain party, other are barb, thief, warrior. I took magic cleric as my feat so I have bless. But I dont have a lot of action I can take when I have only cantrip left. Curently I use mold earth to make foes not closing to fast, witch is not realy effective. Maybe I should change 1 of my cantrip to take a damage one ?

BiPolar
2016-12-06, 04:19 PM
No there is no small size. All humain party, other are barb, thief, warrior. I took magic cleric as my feat so I have bless. But I dont have a lot of action I can take when I have only cantrip left. Curently I use mold earth to make foes not closing to fast, witch is not realy effective. Maybe I should change 1 of my cantrip to take a damage one ?

Not if you don't want to deal damage :)

Trezac
2016-12-06, 04:29 PM
I will see if it feel better at level 2. If not I will have to thing carefully what I want to do.

BiPolar
2016-12-06, 04:30 PM
Can you describe your character some more? Basic stuff including what type of caster you are as well as roleplay how you want them to be. Might give some insight as to what you can do.

Trezac
2016-12-06, 05:05 PM
I have the noble background, last son of a used to be rich family, playing as a 'dont want to dirty my hand' mage.
Hitting and killing is not my job. I am the party face and caster.
8 str 8 dex 10 con 16 int 15 sag 16 cha.
Cantrip : mage hand, mold earth, minor illusion, guidance and spare the dying.
Level 1 : bless, find familiar, sleep, mage armor, alarm, silent image and unseen servant.

BiPolar
2016-12-06, 05:12 PM
I have the noble background, last son of a used to be rich family, playing as a 'dont want to dirty my hand' mage.
Hitting and killing is not my job. I am the party face and caster.
8 str 8 dex 10 con 16 int 15 sag 16 cha.
Cantrip : mage hand, mold earth, minor illusion, guidance and spare the dying.
Level 1 : bless, find familiar, sleep, mage armor, alarm, silent image and unseen servant.

Wizard?Sorcerer?Warlock?Bard?Cleric? what subclass will you pick? DO you do a lot of roleplaying or mostly combat?

Trezac
2016-12-06, 05:21 PM
Sorry wizard level 1 so no subclass yet. 50 % roleplay 50 % fight

Addaran
2016-12-06, 08:58 PM
erghh, I stand corrected, enemy must be within 5 feet of you to Help with the attack.

For the OP, i'd ask the DM if you can use mage hand to do the Help Action at long range. It shouldn't be that unbalanced, you're "wasting" your action to give advantage to one attack. It's true using mage hand to give advantage is one of the big Arcane Trickster's ability, but it's because it's only a bonus action and he can Help himself, very useful for sneak attack.

If not, maybe try using it creatively. Flying a cape in the enemy's face, emptying a bag of flour on his head, waving a torch at him, etc.

Readying a minor illusion in the enemy's face when he tries to attack could give disadvantage to his attack. Or readying Gust on the ammunition someone just shot. (should be disadvantage, maybe even auto-deflect).

Mellack
2016-12-06, 09:32 PM
Ask your DM if he will houserule that you can do it with mage hand. It would appear that you already play with some houserules as your spells (choice and number) are not allowed by standard rules, so they may well be willing to allow it.

Addaran
2016-12-06, 09:57 PM
Ask your DM if he will houserule that you can do it with mage hand. It would appear that you already play with some houserules as your spells (choice and number) are not allowed by standard rules, so they may well be willing to allow it.

"I took magic cleric as my feat so I have bless."

He mentioned his feat, but he forgot to say Magic initiate cleric. So it seems about right for his number of spells (might have found/bought a scroll or two).

Mellack
2016-12-06, 10:21 PM
Ahhh. Now that makes sense.

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 11:30 AM
Most of your spells are combat focused, why not pick up things like

Cantrip: Friends

SPells: Disguise Self, Feather Fall, Comprehend Languages

Catapult is interesting as it has both combat and non-combat possibilities.

It's definitely possible to not be a damage dealer - especially if you go Divination.

Maxilian
2016-12-07, 11:32 AM

No, but you can use your help action on your turn near your companion and leave range, or if you have a familiar, make the familiar use the help action to give advantage to your teanmates

Trezac
2016-12-07, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all your reply. My DM agreed on using my action with mage hand to give advantage. So it solve my current problem. I might come back later with new questions.

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 12:57 PM
Thanks for all your reply. My DM agreed on using my action with mage hand to give advantage. So it solve my current problem. I might come back later with new questions.

Out of curiosity, is he giving your mage hand HP as well? Otherwise, that is a norisk, low cost for you. Whether using the Help Action as described or using optinal flanking rules, or using a familiar, there is a risk in Helping to give advantage.

A mage hand avoids all of that and basically always gives someone Advantage - which is a big deal.

Trezac
2016-12-07, 01:20 PM
No AC no hit point. If someone attack it it's destroy. I am ok with it. It make the enemy wast an attack on it

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 01:23 PM
No AC no hit point. If someone attack it it's destroy. I am ok with it. It make the enemy wast an attack on it

Perfect - just wanted to make sure you both were aware and had a plan :)

Trezac
2016-12-07, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your help BiPolar