View Full Version : rogue variant tiefling or deep gnome.

Night Eternal
2016-12-06, 01:12 PM
I trying to figure out which one the choose.

I want to be a rogue but have some magic. I don't particular care for the trickster class with the limitation that the class puts on the spells. So i was thinking about tiefling for the innate spells. Then i saw deep gnome and was like hmm that an interesting set of innate ablilites that would work well with a rogue. So what do you guy think

I was also thinking about getting magic innaite green flame blade for damage bonus and also being able to use it for sneak attack since it uses a finesse weapon.
Eb for long distance attack and hex for some increased damage runs.

so thoughts

Spellbreaker26
2016-12-06, 01:22 PM
I trying to figure out which one the choose.

I want to be a rogue but have some magic. I don't particular care for the trickster class with the limitation that the class puts on the spells. So i was thinking about tiefling for the innate spells. Then i saw deep gnome and was like hmm that an interesting set of innate ablilites that would work well with a rogue. So what do you guy think

I was also thinking about getting magic innaite green flame blade for damage bonus and also being able to use it for sneak attack since it uses a finesse weapon.
Eb for long distance attack and hex for some increased damage runs.

so thoughts

Remember, deep gnome spells require a feat to activate. So you're only going to get them at level 4 or so.

JellyPooga
2016-12-06, 01:34 PM
Deep Gnome is good for sneaky Rogue.

"Devils Tongue" Tiefling is good for charming Rogue.

"Regular" Tiefling is good for combat Rogue.

If you go Deep Gnome, I'd probably hold off the Racial Feat until level 8; Magic Initiate will serve you better during that lvl.4-7 period IMO.

Night Eternal
2016-12-06, 01:58 PM
Deep Gnome is good for sneaky Rogue.

"Devils Tongue" Tiefling is good for charming Rogue.

"Regular" Tiefling is good for combat Rogue.

If you go Deep Gnome, I'd probably hold off the Racial Feat until level 8; Magic Initiate will serve you better during that lvl.4-7 period IMO.

thanks that helps Alot. I like melee fighter and have always played a gish that focus on fighting while doing all of the rogue stuff. So this time i figure id try to be an actually rogue. this helps me see what i would focus on.

Jerrykhor
2016-12-06, 10:01 PM
Or you can go Tiefling Rogue, get the Thief archtype, so that you can call yourself a Thiefling.

PloxBox
2016-12-06, 11:06 PM
Or you can go Tiefling Rogue, get the Thief archtype, so that you can call yourself a Thiefling.

I don't know who you are. But I want to find you, and give you a high five.

Arcangel4774
2016-12-07, 12:08 AM
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but can't you mix and match certain bits of thr tiefling varient. Say variant stats (for dex), choice of silver tongue or other set with a 3rd option for the spell at level 3. I'd personally go silver tongue with the 3rd option (I belive it was burning hands as cast with level 2 slot).