PDA

View Full Version : Original Names For A Hadouken

Green Elf
2016-12-06, 06:12 PM
I'm making a table top RPG and one thing I ran into was the monk class. He is going to be able to shoot a chi blast out of his hands, just like a hadouken from Street Fighter. I need a name for it though. Do you have any good ones?

KillingAScarab
2016-12-06, 06:18 PM
I'm making a table top RPG and one thing I ran into was the monk class. He is going to be able to shoot a chi blast out of his hands, just like a hadouken from Street Fighter. I need a name for it though. Do you have any good ones?Do you want it to be themed appropriately for your setting? If so, you will probably want to share some details on the game setting. If you want just a generic name, though, qi/chi/ki blast probably works fine and gets across the idea. If this is intended to be a less-often-used ability, go for something more grandiose. A few times per day? How about soul fire? Once in a year? Heavenly Sword Flame Leaping Atop the Backs of Turtles with Tiny Feet or some such.

Jama7301
2016-12-06, 06:36 PM
Energy Wave/Ball/Pulse/Shot?
Pulse (Any above, sans Pulse)
Qi/Chi/Ki Blast is also effective and straightforward, as was mentioned above.

Deophaun
2016-12-06, 08:15 PM
"Kihou," which is literally "spirit gun." "Kihouka" if you want "Spirit gunfire."

Kane0
2016-12-06, 08:55 PM
I am compelled to share. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjNi20daiI)

Anonymouswizard
2016-12-06, 09:00 PM
It depends. Are martial arts important in this world? Then something that sounds like a technique name (Flying Moon Fist?) might be a good idea. If they aren't, Ki Blast should work well.

Or, if there's a lot of martial art styles with Ki powers, use a generic name and give examples of technique names. So call it chi blast, and have a list of names various styles use.

Although, as a side note, I recommend leaving out supernatural martial arts unless they are common. If every fighter can jump canyons and slash boulders in half, an unarmed warrior making ranged attacks won't be as strange. There's I reason i dislike D&D's monk class but love Legends of the Wulin.

Slipperychicken
2016-12-06, 09:17 PM
I'm making a table top RPG and one thing I ran into was the monk class. He is going to be able to shoot a chi blast out of his hands, just like a hadouken from Street Fighter. I need a name for it though. Do you have any good ones?
"Chi Blast" or "Ki Blast" is already a pretty solid name for what it does.

darkdragoon
2016-12-06, 11:18 PM
Surge Fist and Vacuum Wave are pretty literal translations.

GungHo
2016-12-07, 10:59 AM

So, what culture is the guy from. What I mean by this is, what makes sense for this guy to call it? If he's basically an Asian guy, then calling it a hadouken or Wave Fist or Dragon Fire Punch may work. He's he's a European dude in a world where there are no Asian dudes, using flowery Asian metaphors is going to be pretty strange and he might call it Heaven's (or Hell's) Sword or Soul Fire. If he's a Native American dude, he may use different terms like Sky Eagle Strike or Grandfather's Thunder. A Dwarf might call it Moradin's Forge Fist. You can mechanically call it a ki blast because mechanically that's what it is, but in-character flavor should be informed by who is doing the actual flavoring.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-07, 09:50 PM
I am compelled to share. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjNi20daiI)Nail Gun. The rest of us can just go home, mark the thread [SOLVED].

Kane0
2016-12-08, 12:17 AM
I dunno man, 'Taco Tuesday' has a certain ring to it...

To actually contribute: 'Flensing Wind'

DracoknightZero
2016-12-08, 04:12 AM
Kemahemahe? Sputnik? "Faen nuh jävar!"?

BDRook
2016-12-08, 01:27 PM
Double sunday!

GrayDeath
2016-12-09, 03:48 PM
I always hear these things as variations of "pound".

"I shot him a three pounder and he didn`t even blink" has a certain ring to it. ^^

More serious: I cannot answer it until I know of language, Culture and feel of the world in which its supposed to be ....blasted.

AnBe
2016-12-10, 08:34 PM
Fus Ro Dah!

Roan_Spence
2016-12-11, 04:26 PM
I'll second needing to know more about the setting before being able to offer any serious suggestions.

Pronounceable
2016-12-11, 07:08 PM
just like a hadouken from Street Fighter
If it walks like Ryu and quacks like Ryu...

Say it means "spirit punch" in Elven or something if you can't bear the thought of just calling it what it is.

Rowan Wolf
2016-12-12, 01:50 AM
There was a name generator table in a dragon magazine (#285 I think) that could be useful for naming.

Mastikator
2016-12-12, 09:23 AM
Kamehameha!

Be sure to spend 10 rounds of going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" before going into battle.

Hiro Protagonest
2016-12-12, 05:44 PM
Surging Wave Fist. :smallwink:

Slipperychicken
2016-12-15, 07:17 PM
Be sure to spend 10 sessions going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" before going into battle.

Fixed it for you

CharonsHelper
2016-12-15, 09:25 PM
Kamehameha!

Be sure to spend 10 rounds of going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" before going into battle.

How many DBZ characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Just one, but it takes him seven episodes.

8BitNinja
2016-12-15, 11:23 PM
I'll second needing to know more about the setting before being able to offer any serious suggestions.

I can help with that.

He's basically turning my old game, Sidequest, into a playable game. It's a high fantasy setting that takes place on planet Europe with a totally not Jewish culture and totally not various Asian cultures (Complete with Monk and Ninja classes). Although the world used to have arcane magic, it was lost because a group of wizards decided to take over the world so a group of knights decided to destroy all traces of their magic (although byproducts of their rituals still remain). However, there are two forms of non physical power. There is divine power, which people know is supernatural, and Clerics, Monks, Knights, and Rangers know how to wield it, but every race believes in different gods (Basically, they know that a god/gods exist, but can't agree on who he/she/they is/are). The hadouken comes from a second kind of power, chi, which is what monks and ninjas use. Some people believe that chi is magic, but in reality, it is the world's fake science that Green Elf and I made up that is basically focusing the body's natural flow of energy into one part of the body. Monks have learned to focus the energy so much, that it can form balls of pure energy.

That sums it up for the "magic" of the universe.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-17, 08:13 PM
I can help with that.

He's basically turning my old game, Sidequest, into a playable game. It's a high fantasy setting that takes place on planet Europe with a totally not Jewish culture and totally not various Asian cultures (Complete with Monk and Ninja classes).
The hadouken comes from a second kind of power, chi, which is what monks and ninjas use. Some people believe that chi is magic, but in reality, it is the world's fake science that Green Elf and I made up that is basically focusing the body's natural flow of energy into one part of the body. Monks have learned to focus the energy so much, that it can form balls of pure energy.Would this mean you would prefer to have some not-Hebrew suggestions for naming in addition to some not-Chinese suggestions for naming?

How many DBZ characters does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Just one, but it takes him seven episodes.Unless you're either Bardock or Trunks. If you're mourning dead comrades you can get everything done in an OVA.

8BitNinja
2016-12-18, 02:36 AM
Would this mean you would prefer to have some not-Hebrew suggestions for naming in addition to some not-Chinese suggestions for naming?

If the OP decides to have them, I have this:

toqeph, it means energy or strength in Hebrew

jing, it means energy in Chinese

braveheart
2016-12-21, 02:30 PM
Ki blast or Chi blast seem to be the simplest best answers, especially if there are different forms of them, that could be an encompassing term for all the different ways that people can focus internal energy into a projectile.

as far as specific forms there are a lot of different good suggestions above